The Student Room Group

Business Studies or International Business Management

I've received all unconditional offers for the courses I've applied for and now I'm at the stage of making the decision. I've narrowed it down to two potential universities - each of which has a varying degree title. The first is just plain 'Business Studies', but the second one is 'International Business Management'. I think the second one sounds more interesting and appealing but I'm not sure if there's a huge difference from looking at the course content. Is anyone planning to study/studying either of these degrees and if so, do you like it or know the difference between the two?
Original post by lucyhendo
I've received all unconditional offers for the courses I've applied for and now I'm at the stage of making the decision. I've narrowed it down to two potential universities - each of which has a varying degree title. The first is just plain 'Business Studies', but the second one is 'International Business Management'. I think the second one sounds more interesting and appealing but I'm not sure if there's a huge difference from looking at the course content. Is anyone planning to study/studying either of these degrees and if so, do you like it or know the difference between the two?

Hi Lucy,

Congratulations on getting your offers! I am a second year International Management student at the University of Bath. I decided to study International Management, and applied only for International Management/Business/Business Management courses, all of which appear to be very similar.

From when I was applying I learned that sometimes International Management courses can sometimes differ considerably from the classic Business Studies course, other times they are very much the same. Therefore I can only really talk from personal experience and the applications that I made.

I would encourage you to look at the placement, if there is one, as many of the international courses involve a year studying or working abroad. Some universities alternatively have a year working for a global business in the UK, which differs less from the typical Business and Management courses in the UK where a UK placement is common anyway.

I would also suggest looking at the course contents, I noticed when looking at universities that in some cases the course content was very similar between the two. Other typical business courses allow you to take the exact same modules as the International Management students as an optional unit.

From what I have experienced, International Management students typically want to work for a large multinational business and/or work abroad in many different cultures and contexts. I would always suggest considering if this is what you would see yourself doing, if you are unsure about what you would like maybe a more classic Business course would suit you best, that way you can adapt the course to have a more international focus if necessary.

I hope that this helps,
Hayden

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending