The Student Room Group

What's after the LLB?

Hi, I'm an international, planning on doing my LLB in the UK. I would like to work as a trainee solicitor there, after completing my LLB. I understand that I'd have to do the LPC too, but could I work at the same time since staying in the UK after completing the LLB would require a work permit?

I really can't figure how to best go about this. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi

Yes, you are able to work whilst doing the LPC and many people choose to do so.

Most people will do the LPC full time (takes roughly 9 months to do) and will work part-time during that time. Others will do the LPC over the space of 18 months and work full-time. It much depends on your finances - in other words are you able to fund the LPC and pay the bills whilst working only part-time/not at all.

Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jasy
Hi

Yes, you are able to work whilst doing the LPC and many people choose to do so.

Most people will do the LPC will time (takes roughly 9 months to do) and will work part-time during that time. Others will do the LPC over the space of 18 months and work full-time. It much depends on if your finances - in other words are you able to fund the LPC and pay the bills whilst working only part-time/not at all.

Good luck.

Most people work part time whilst doing the LPC? Is that what you did?

Arent most people sponsored?
Original post by J-SP
You can get another student visa if completing the LPC full time.

You are unlikely to find many roles that would allow you to do the LPC whilst working and that would provide you with a working visa though.

Although the LPC might not exist by the time you get to that stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't they have the additional immigration difficulty of being an international student?
Original post by J-SP
Exactly my point - if working part-time while doing the LPC, it will be much more difficult to find a job that will be able to provide a sponsored work permit, and the only other alternative is working under their tier 4 visa and then they are restricted to 20 hours a week or less.

Student visas for the LPC are fairly straight forward (as it is anyway).

A post LPC work permit will be much easier to obtain than trying to find one while studying the LPC, although will still be tricky due to the small number of firms who can sponsor a tier 2, and the competitiveness of getting into those firms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry JSP I was looking at the difficulty of international students getting training contracts at all. By the time the student has finished their LPC, then we will have left the EU, so immigration requirements could be even tougher. I would have thought only the very brightest or connected international students get TC's

Working during the full time LPC was all news to me. I didnt realise there was the spare time? Even without sponsorship, then Id be much happier waiting a year and earning the money beforehand rather than risk jeopardising my studies. Tbh Id rather someone else paid.

Completely agree with the competitiveness angle, so was raising the point with the OP as to whether they are being realistic or understand the difficulties of qualifiying as an international student. I think these days we never hear of, but there must be hundreds who have utmost belief in their abilities, some of them will even have the grades, but they never manage to qualify. the ones I feel really sorry for are those who self finance the LPC, but never get TC's.

It just about all boils down to 2nd year in Uni.
Reply 5
Original post by J-SP
You can get another student visa if completing the LPC full time.

You are unlikely to find many roles that would allow you to do the LPC whilst working and that would provide you with a working visa though.

Although the LPC might not exist by the time you get to that stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, if the LPC was gone and the new SQE is implemented, could I apply for a work permit during the period of workplace training or would I need to make other VISA arrangements?
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
The work place training is the equivalent of a training contract, so yes that is likely to be possible. The issue is more around passing SQE1 before starting that training, and how any visa might work for that. That's a little hazy at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I'd have to apply for Training Contracts in my second year normally, hopefully get one, finish my third year, give the SQE1 and then apply for a work permit to work for those two years ? Then do the SQE2?

I know it won't be nearly as easy as I make it sound but I'd just like to have a clear picture of what I have to do in my mind 🙄
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
Yes, you apply for a TC anytime from the end of your second year onwards. What happens with the SQE is still a little murky, so that's all a "wait and see".

You don't apply for the work visa, your employer does. That is where the difficulty lies, only a small amount of firms will be able to apply for a work visa for you, the vast majority don't have a licence. Those that can get work visas tend to be pretty popular where they are bigger names/brands and paying at the higher end of the market.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And securing a training contract in those firms would require a high 2:1 or a first and a lot of work experience and extracurriculars right? I plan on doing my utmost best in getting those. I know that securing a TC is hard but it's not impossible for an international, is it? I plan on doing my llb at Warwick. Will that be good enough to be a strong contender for TCs? Or should I switch to Queen Mary?

Sorry for all the questions again. Thanks for answering them 😊
Reply 8
Okay. Thank you for all your advice. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending