The Student Room Group

Big 4 Tax Graduate Trainees 2017

Hello everyone !

I wanted to start a thread where people doing the Tax graduate scheme at any of the Big 4 could come together and support each other.

My offer is from Deloitte , due to start in September 2017. It's for Corporate Tax.

Who else is out there ?
Bump

I know I'm not the only one doing Tax
Deloitte 2017 GES
Original post by hodgey111
Deloitte 2017 GES

I knew I wasn't alone - slightly surprised at the lack of responses tbh. Tax is popular , no?
I guess because it is quite accessible from quite a few degree disciplines.
Working in corp tax, started last Sept at a Big Four.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm starting in Corporate Tax at Deloitte in September.
Original post by College rocks
Working in corp tax, started last Sept at a Big Four.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which of the big 4 and which location?
Which of the big 4 and which location?

PwC, Midlands

Posted from TSR Mobile

How have you found it? How are the exams? Have you had any salary increases since your start date?
How have you found it? How are the exams? Have you had any salary increases since your start date?

It was a slow start, mainly because it is very technical so you get to be on the sidelines for a while.

Due to exemptions, I havent done a single exam yet - due to take some prof. exams later this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was a slow start, mainly because it is very technical so you get to be on the sidelines for a while.

Due to exemptions, I havent done a single exam yet - due to take some prof. exams later this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

May sound a daft question but how do you check to see which exams you are exempt from?
Original post by givemestrength
May sound a daft question but how do you check to see which exams you are exempt from?

http://www.icaew.com/en/for-current-aca-students/credit-for-prior-learning/apply-for-credits-academic-qualification

this is what I used to check exemptions :smile:

The list ICAEW provides is not exhaustive, so you might be eligible for more exemptions than the ones listed.

In my case I was eligible for an additional certificate level paper and 2 prof. papers. You have to submit a form to the institute to claim those (more details on the website).

However, Ive been told by senior associates that claiming an exemption for the prof. papers isnt always favourable as the syllabus content of the advanced stage heavily relies on those prof. papers. It is assumed knowledge so your tuition provider will not recap on those topics for you.

So think about it carefully.
Reply 14
The list ICAEW provides is not exhaustive, so you might be eligible for more exemptions than the ones listed.

In my case I was eligible for an additional certificate level paper and 2 prof. papers. You have to submit a form to the institute to claim those (more details on the website).

However, Ive been told by senior associates that claiming an exemption for the prof. papers isnt always favourable as the syllabus content of the advanced stage heavily relies on those prof. papers. It is assumed knowledge so your tuition provider will not recap on those topics for you.

So think about it carefully.

Hi, I am considering swirhcthing fo corp tax in big four or top ten. I would be grateful if you or someone else could explain a typical day and how you are finding the job.

I can provide audit or aca qualification experience/knowledge should you wish to know something.
Original post by NAJC
Hi, I am considering swirhcthing fo corp tax in big four or top ten. I would be grateful if you or someone else could explain a typical day and how you are finding the job.

I can provide audit or aca qualification experience/knowledge should you wish to know something.

Sorry I can't answer your question as I haven't started the role yet , but I was wondering if you had any advice for handling the qualification studies once we start?

Thanks to PPs for linking the ICAEW info.
Original post by NAJC

Tax compliance team: preparation of corp tax returns; preparing computations; doing tax accounting work.

Tax advisory team: doing research on tax laws; drafting emails to clients; ad-hoc project work and analysis; occasional client billing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Sorry I can't answer your question as I haven't started the role yet , but I was wondering if you had any advice for handling the qualification studies once we start?

Thanks to PPs for linking the ICAEW info.

So you will study for ACA and not CTA then?

Just make sure to maintain something of a work life balance whilst ensuring that you devote enough time to your studies. Attend all college sessions, homeworks and plenty of practice questions in your own time.

It might be harder for you as you won't come across lots of accounting and audit things in your work life so maybe look at a set of accounts, read stuff online or speak to colleagues.
Reply 18
I knew I wasn't alone - slightly surprised at the lack of responses tbh. Tax is popular , no?

Which offices have you both got offers from?
Original post by lito23
Which offices have you both got offers from?

London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending