The Student Room Group

What to write on Cv for medicine to NHS?

Hi guys,

I'm going to apply this year to medicine. And one of the things I must do is get a shadowing job to get an insight of what's like to actually work in a NHS

At the NHS closest to where I live they asked to send a Cv and a covering letter. I have no idea what to write on to get a place. I'm 25 and since I got my high school diploma at 19 I have just been working in the family's business. What should I write? I definitely want a work in a hospital :biggrin:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
You need a caring role not a shadowing role for medicine, ideally. Applicants usually have care home experience :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fxlloutboyy
You need a caring role not a shadowing role for medicine, ideally. Applicants usually have care home experience :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually I definitely think that having a shadowing role for medicine would make sense because I can experience what the job so it would useful both for me than for the unis that see my decision to be a doctor backed up in my personal statement

I was seeing overseas medical experience with gap medics or medical projects in Tanzania, Dominican republic, Thailand etc. That appeals me a lot :smile: :biggrin:

I'd love to be a doctor without Borders💚 i.e. the doctors that work in countries particularly disadvantaged but I read on travel advice on the UK government site that are quite dangerous especially for women but I'd love to do this do much 🤗 maybe if I go there with gap medics etc. I'd be safe

Not sure why someone has suggested you don't need a shadowing role. Shadowing is perfect experience for applying to med degree as it gives you a direct insight into what being a doctor is like. Interviewers and admissions staff want to see that you have some awareness of the roles challenges of being a doctor.

A caring/ volunteering role can bolster your application too. Some students aren't able to obtain shadowing as it can be difficult to secure without connections, and a voluntary role with ill/ vulnerable people can be used in lieu.

CV- list your grades, work experience, jobs, roles of resposibility/ extra-curriculars and awards.
In your covering letter you you write a few short paragraphs. Introduce yourself briefly, what you can offer (why you make a good candidate) and what you hope to gain from the experience.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by habeas.corpus
Not sure why someone has suggested you don't need a shadowing role. Shadowing is perfect experience for applying to med degree as it gives you a direct insight into what being a doctor is like. Interviewers and admissions staff want to see that you have some awareness of the roles challenges of being a doctor.

A caring/ volunteering role can bolster your application too. Some students aren't able to obtain shadowing as it can be difficult to secure without connections, and a voluntary role with ill/ vulnerable people can be used in lieu.

CV- list your grades, work experience, jobs, roles of resposibility/ extra-curriculars and awards.
In your covering letter you you write a few short paragraphs. Introduce yourself briefly, what you can offer (why you make a good candidate) and what you hope to gain from the experience.

The point is I've been working only in my family's business so far. No other job so I don't know what to write. I'll have my igcse exams in may/June

But I was starting to look at overseas work experience in Africa and other countries but I'm afraid of issues like rape, robbery , kidnapping as reported on travel advice for India etc. What do you think of the overseas medical experience? :biggrin:

Original post by fennec
Actually I definitely think that having a shadowing role for medicine would make sense because I can experience what the job so it would useful both for me than for the unis that see my decision to be a doctor backed up in my personal statement

I was seeing overseas medical experience with gap medics or medical projects in Tanzania, Dominican republic, Thailand etc. That appeals me a lot :smile: :biggrin:

I'd love to be a doctor without Borders💚 i.e. the doctors that work in countries particularly disadvantaged but I read on travel advice on the UK government site that are quite dangerous especially for women but I'd love to do this do much 🤗 maybe if I go there with gap medics etc. I'd be safe

That's an awesome ambition. Nice to hear about people helping out in less fortunate places. Hope you get where you want to be. =D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fennec
The point is I've been working only in my family's business so far. No other job so I don't know what to write. I'll have my igcse exams in may/June

But I was starting to look at overseas work experience in Africa and other countries but I'm afraid of issues like rape, robbery , kidnapping as reported on travel advice for India etc. What do you think of the overseas medical experience? :biggrin:

It looks like your CV might be a little bare, but that's quite common for school students tbh. Any volunteering or roles of responsiblity you had at school are good to note. For you family business work, briefly mention your responsibilties.

Overseas work experience might be an interesting talking point in the interviews you have, but it really doesn't matter which country or healthcare system you do your work experience. The most important thing is what you gain from it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fennec

Definitely do not go without preparation e.g. Perhaps some martial arts training? Basic self defence really just for your own peace of mind. Lol. Basically you can't really venture off on your own. There will be plenty of organisations who are looking to take doctors with them as there's never enough docs in said countries. Going with a group and staying with the group at all times wont really guarantee much but there's safety in numbers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For your CV, think about what you have learnt from your role in the family business that may prepare you for the role you are seeking, eg teamwork, meeting deadlines, building relationships with clients, etc. Give examples if you can. You can find ammunition in most jobs if you think hard enough about what kind of challenges you have had to deal with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending