The Student Room Group

Ibuprofen vs paracetamol

Which one do you find to be the most effective?

Scroll to see replies

They do different things.

Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory and Paracetamol is just a pain killer.
Original post by Willy Pete

Ah okay, so would it be okay to take them both at the same time?
Original post by LeCroissant

Nope. Ibuprofen contains paracetamol does it not?
Ah thanks people for clarifying. So it seems you can take them together.
(edited 7 years ago)

Yes, although I spread them out taking them alternatively every 2 hours so I am constantly covered by a painkiller.
Nope. Not unless you purposely get something with both in.
Nope lmao the whole idea is that it's safe to take both within the same time frame because it doesn't give your body too much paracetamol

Yeah, my cousin is a doctor and she does that sometimes.
To answer the question, I find ibuprofen more effective, but that may be due to a placebo effect because I have convinced myself that paracetamol doesn't work for me.

Unless you're advised against taking them, either can be used to relieve pain and reduce fever. Paracetamol is usually best for things like sore throats, back pain. Ibuprofen shouldn't be taken if you have any abdominal problems as it can irritate the stomach.

They can be taken at the same time, although it's best to alternate if your symptoms are persisting or coming back before the next dose is due.

Don't exceed the doses of either ever! Maximum doses are not far off toxic levels.

Don't take ibuprofen during pregnancy unless a healthcare professional has advised you to.

And don't get medication advice from a student forum, speak to a pharmacist.
For general pains then it's definitely ibuprofen I prefer. Paracetamol barely ever seems to work for me. The best painkiller I've ever used though was Naproxen which is a strong NSAID. I swear by those for strong pains like migraines, period cramps, broken or fractured bones etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which one do you find to be the most effective?

as a drug dealer (pharmacist) I can tell you what you need to know.

both are the strongest over-the-counter medication you can get (coco-damol over the counter is not much more effective and in fact gives you the side-effects of codeine more than the pain relief for most patients.

paracetamol is used for JUST fever + pain. depending on your age, you can take 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours (total of up to 8 tablets in 24 hours). It doesnt affect swelling or inflammation. due to the nature of paracetamol overdosing (ie slow and painful liver and kidney failure), avoid most cold and flu remedies.

ibuprofen can be used for pain, fever AND inflammation. 1 tablet should be taken every 8 hours (no more than 3 tablets in 24 hours) over the counter.

ibuprofen must be avoided if anyone has any stomach/intestinal ulcers (causes ulcers), active bleeding (causes stomach bleeding and thins blood, therefore can cause bruises), if you are taking aspirin (increased side-effects as they are same class of drugs- NSAIDs), if you are asthmatic (triggers asthma attacks) or if you take certain medication for depression (increases side-effects of certain mood drugs such as lithium) or blood thinners (increased bleeding) and if you are a smokers (increases mouth and stomach ulcers and bleeding). also avoid if you have kidney problems as it can worsen it

both can be taken together but just make sure your not in the above categories. and remember, only take it if you need it
(edited 7 years ago)

actually both are analgesics (anti-pain) and anti-pyretics (anti fever ie temperature when you have cold or flu. sadly this doesnt affect sneezing or coughing).

you are right however about ibuprofen being an anti-inflammatory
Original post by Spock's Socks
For general pains then it's definitely ibuprofen I prefer. Paracetamol barely ever seems to work for me. The best painkiller I've ever used though was Naproxen which is a strong NSAID. I swear by those for strong pains like migraines, period cramps, broken or fractured bones etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

just remember to take some acid neutralising tablets for long-term use as you will get stomach problems (suggest trying to get omeprazole over-the-counter or on prescription).

also avoid taking aspirin and/or ibuprofen with naproxen as it is the same class of drugs
(edited 7 years ago)
Both are completely separate classes of drugs.
Original post by quasa
as a drug dealer (pharmacist) I can tell you what you need to know.

both are the strongest over-the-counter medication you can get (coco-damol over the counter is not much more effective and in fact gives you the side-effects of codeine more than the pain relief for most patients.

paracetamol is used for JUST fever + pain. depending on your age, you can take 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours (total of up to 8 tablets in 24 hours). It doesnt affect swelling or inflammation. due to the nature of paracetamol overdosing (ie slow and painful liver and kidney failure), avoid most cold and flu remedies.

ibuprofen can be used for pain, fever AND inflammation. 1 tablet should be taken every 8 hours (no more than 3 tablets in 24 hours) over the counter.

ibuprofen must be avoided if anyone has any stomach/intestinal ulcers (causes ulcers), active bleeding (causes stomach bleeding and thins blood, therefore can cause bruises), if you are taking aspirin (increased side-effects as they are same class of drugs- NSAIDs), if you are asthmatic (triggers asthma attacks) or if you take certain medication for depression (increases side-effects of certain mood drugs such as lithium) or blood thinners (increased bleeding) and if you are a smokers (increases mouth and stomach ulcers and bleeding).

both can be taken together but just make sure your not in the above categories. and remember, only take it if you need it

You forgot hypertension :smile:

@LeCroissant As well as the excellent list above, if you take any form of medication for blood pressure (particularly drugs ending in -pril or -sartan), NSAIDS are usually contra-indicated.

Ibuprofen does have significantly more interactions and side-effects than paracetamol does. If it's simple pain relief, and not particularly the anti-inflammatory effect you need, I would always stick with paracetamol as the simplest and safest option. If you do have pain AND inflammation you wish to control (maybe a soft-tissue injury such as a sprain or strain) then ibuprofen could be a better alternative, but only once you've made sure you can take it by reading the Patient Information Leaflet. Alternatively, if it's chronic or severe pain relief required, it could be worth a trip to the GP to get something rather more targeted prescribed. No over-the-counter painkillers should be taken regularly, because as well as the increased risk of side-effects and decreased efficacy, they can ironically increase pain, like the painkiller-induced headache.

Personally, I find Tramadol, Meptid and Oramorph effective pain relief. But you don't find them on the shelf at Boots.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by quasa
actually both are analgesics (anti-pain) and anti-pyretics (anti fever ie temperature when you have cold or flu. sadly this doesnt affect sneezing or coughing).

you are right however about ibuprofen being an anti-inflammatory

I normally just take straight Codeine anyway because I find it more effective, whether that is true or not I don't actually know.
Original post by Reality Check
You forgot hypertension :smile:

dang I knew I forgot something :lol: (btw, great advice given in your post)

Original post by Reality Check

Personally, I find Tramadol, Meptid and Oramorph effective pain relief. But you don't find them on the shelf at Boots.

completely agree, but you should only consider these drugs, which are controlled drugs only available via GP surgeries in worst case scenario type pain.

if paracetamol and/or ibuprofen arent efficient, the next step would be 15-30mg codeine products, which again are only available on prescription
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by quasa
dang I knew I forgot something :lol:

completely agree, but you should only consider these drugs, which are controlled drugs only available via GP surgeries in worst case scenario type pain.

if paracetamol and/or ibuprofen arent efficient, the next step would be 15-30mg codeine products, which again are only available on prescription

Totally agree :smile: (I was being a bit flippant with my opioid suggestions, having pretty much been prescribed everything going over the years!)
(edited 7 years ago)
I normally just take straight Codeine anyway because I find it more effective, whether that is true or not I don't actually know.

depends on the strength of codeine tbh. 8mg has a pseudo-placebo effect imho. 15, 30 and 60mg are all a lot stronger and can be taken with paracetamol and/or ibuprofen but just remember the side-effect profiles of drugs can be a pain (both real and metaphorical). also remember higher strengths of drugs = higher side-effects.

codeine's side-effects are irritating in high doses, and the way the law is now, you cant drive whilst on even low doses as it impairs judgment and causes drowsiness. the fact that the police can arrest you for driving whilst taking it is something to consider

Quick Reply

Latest