The Student Room Group

Can I do Law at UCL with these A levels?

For my GCSEs I got all A*-As and for my A levels I take sociology, History and politics and I regret not taking english lit because now I only have 1 fascilitsting subject (History) however, if I will get the grades required will it matter that two of my subjects are considered 'limited'? Have I still got a chance to do law at Cambridge?
Original post by valdokarina
For my GCSEs I got all A*-As and for my A levels I take sociology, History and politics and I regret not taking english lit because now I only have 1 fascilitsting subject (History) however, if I will get the grades required will it matter that two of my subjects are considered 'limited'? Have I still got a chance to do law at Cambridge?

Well... On one hand you have excellent GCSE grades and history is a well respected A level.. plus (I just checked on Trinity's website) sociology and politics are 'limited' but suitable for arts subjects, so it should be fine. And even if they are a slight disadv it's nothing that you can't fix with other means. E.g. you'll have to strive harder on other parts of your app, such as getting a high score and a good essay written for LNAT (UCL) and performing well in the interview and CLT (Cambridge). Oh, and a bomb PS. So best of luck :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Titania_Fleuret_
Well... On one hand you have excellent GCSE grades and history is a well respected A level.. plus (I just checked on Trinity's website) sociology and politics are 'limited' but suitable for arts subjects, so it should be fine. And even if they are a slight disadv it's nothing that you can't fix with other means. E.g. you'll have to strive harder on other parts of your app, such as getting a high score and a good essay written for LNAT (UCL) and performing well in the interview and CLT (Cambridge). Oh, and a bomb PS. So best of luck :smile:

Spoiler

I understand, thank you very much :smile: Do you think I should do like a law firm work experience to strengthen my application?
I understand, thank you very much :smile: Do you think I should do like a law firm work experience to strengthen my application?

Hmmm depends on whether you think it'd benefit you?

For my own application I've only done 1 form of work experience; I work shadowed a court marshal. I got 2 internship offers last summer but I turned them down because I thought I might benefit more from doing some external reading and consolidation myself :smile:

I guess it depends on what you think will make you shine the most as an applicant, and how you feel like you can demonstrate your interest the most? xD
Reply 4
Hmmm depends on whether you think it'd benefit you?

For my own application I've only done 1 form of work experience; I work shadowed a court marshal. I got 2 internship offers last summer but I turned them down because I thought I might benefit more from doing some external reading and consolidation myself :smile:

I guess it depends on what you think will make you shine the most as an applicant, and how you feel like you can demonstrate your interest the most? xD

Oh yes I see. Do you think it will be impressive to them that I self taught myself Russian and entered myself for the GCSE and got an A* or will that be too long ago (as it was GCSE so by the time I apply it will be 2 years) for them to be impressed?
Oh yes I see. Do you think it will be impressive to them that I self taught myself Russian and entered myself for the GCSE and got an A* or will that be too long ago (as it was GCSE so by the time I apply it will be 2 years) for them to be impressed?

Yeah definitely! Plus the fact that so little ppl do this will make you stand out a lot :smile:
2 years is an acceptable gap for sure. Do include it in your PS/ make sure your teachers stuff it in your references, haha
Reply 6
Yeah definitely! Plus the fact that so little ppl do this will make you stand out a lot :smile:
2 years is an acceptable gap for sure. Do include it in your PS/ make sure your teachers stuff it in your references, haha

Haha thank you for the help :smile: Sorry for so many questions I hope you don't mind but do you know any good websites where law degrees are explained in detail like what exactly you may learn, what type of reading will have to be done, the structure, types of exam because I want to know more than I already do :smile:
Haha thank you for the help :smile: Sorry for so many questions I hope you don't mind but do you know any good websites where law degrees are explained in detail like what exactly you may learn, what type of reading will have to be done, the structure, types of exam because I want to know more than I already do :smile:

Hahaha don't worry that's what I'm here for :P
Tbh just go on the law faculty websites of the specific universities you're interested in. I did that and printed off the details of the course for comparison :wink: They also include structures/ types of exams
What unis are you looking at atm? UCL, Cambridge, ?
Reply 8
Hahaha don't worry that's what I'm here for :P
Tbh just go on the law faculty websites of the specific universities you're interested in. I did that and printed off the details of the course for comparison :wink: They also include structures/ types of exams
What unis are you looking at atm? UCL, Cambridge, ?

I dont think there is much of a possibility getting into cambridge with the subject sadly however, UCL would be amazing.
I dont think there is much of a possibility getting into cambridge with the subject sadly however, UCL would be amazing.

Aw don't think like that!
If even trinity (arguably the 'academic' college of Cambridge) allows your 2 subjects as suitable for law, I think you stand a pretty decent chance.

Plus you still have 3 other offers in which you could manage well to ensure you will get into a uni at least. So do go for it! :smile:

Believe me, I wasn't about to apply for Cambridge until last summer. I wasn't even about to DO law until last Easter. But I made it so far (well, hopefully I'll meet my offer) so I have complete faith that you will!

And trust me, I'm not that academically strong either. I barely reached the minimal required predicted grades for London unis/ Oxbridge- 1A*. So don't give up before you even start doing it :smile:
Your A levels satisfy the criteria for entry, so it's now important to aim for top marks. The entry tests such as LNAT are also crucial for entry, so I wouldn't worry unduly about the choice of subject.
Aw don't think like that!
If even trinity (arguably the 'academic' college of Cambridge) allows your 2 subjects as suitable for law, I think you stand a pretty decent chance.

Plus you still have 3 other offers in which you could manage well to ensure you will get into a uni at least. So do go for it! :smile:

Believe me, I wasn't about to apply for Cambridge until last summer. I wasn't even about to DO law until last Easter. But I made it so far (well, hopefully I'll meet my offer) so I have complete faith that you will!

And trust me, I'm not that academically strong either. I barely reached the minimal required predicted grades for London unis/ Oxbridge- 1A*. So don't give up before you even start doing it :smile:

I hope you meet the offer, good luck :smile: what subjects do you take? And yeahh I understand hopefully they wont look at me as a weak candidate.
I hope you meet the offer, good luck :smile: what subjects do you take? And yeahh I understand hopefully they wont look at me as a weak candidate.

Eng lit, Class civ, Bio and Maths
originally intended to do medicine so I also took Chem.. but I was so bad at practical work and I hated the subject so much that I dropped it haha :wink:
Eng lit, Class civ, Bio and Maths
originally intended to do medicine so I also took Chem.. but I was so bad at practical work and I hated the subject so much that I dropped it haha :wink:

Ahhh I see, well best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest