The Student Room Group

Best way to get medical experience?

Hi guys,

I'm gonna apply to medicine in 2017. What's the best way to get medical experience?

Volunteer in NHS could be good but it wouldn't be a shadowing role for actual medicine...work in a hospice? Get a certificate in phlebotomy, get a certificate from St John's ambulance, overseas with gap medics or other organizations :confused:

More than anything I'd like to get a shadowing role so I can experience what's like to be a doctor in the NHS :tongue:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Original post by fennec
Hi guys,

I'm gonna apply to medicine in 2017. What's the best way to get medical experience?

Volunteer in NHS could be good but it wouldn't be a shadowing role for actual medicine...work in a hospice? Get a certificate in phlebotomy, get a certificate from St John's ambulance, overseas with gap medics or other organizations :confused:

More than anything I'd like to get a shadowing role so I can experience what's like to be a doctor in the NHS :tongue:

Email hospitals asking if they offer shadowing or work experience.

It is fascinating to see what a doctor but universities are more interested in is volunteering and experience in a caring role

So I would suggest doing a week or less at a hospital or GP surgery then some longer term volunteering (3 months +) at a care home or something like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Remember that your PS isnt just a long list of where you did work-experience. What Med Schools are interested in is your reflection and insight into what you saw/realised/thought about, not the work experience itself.

Its about 'I volunteered at an aged care home every weekend for 6 months and now have a greater understanding about the realities or dementia and other degenerative diseases, and I have developed a greater appreciation of the need to ensure dignity and compassion in end of life care.' (etc etc) rather than 'I spent 2 days getting in the way as I shadowed a Cardiac Surgeon, but learnt nothing useful that I can use to show that I understand some of the realities and frustrations of being a doctor'.

This is why Gap Medics is a total waste of time and money - its just a holiday with knobs on, and all it tells a Med School is that you have wealthy parents - you will learn nothing useful. If you spent some evenings helping out in an UK inner city homeless shelter, an aged care home or special needs school you will learn at great deal more, and have relevant stuff to talk about in your PS and at your interview.

Altruism, compassion, listening skills, empathy, patience, calmness under pressure, realism, resilience, reliability, etc. These are the qualities of a good doctor. Where can you learn this, observe this and use examples that you have seen/experienced to show this?

Lots more advice here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15999-medicine-work-experience
Original post by fennec
Hi guys,

Hi there!

It's great that you're so prepared and are thinking about your application already!

You could try contacting your local care home (volunteering on a regular basis in a care-giving capacity is excellent experience and will be very useful to draw on in your Personal Statement, building your empathy and communication skills), your GP or hospital (with these, it's best to start looking as early as you can, so contact different hospitals/GPs in your local area - perseverance is key). Another thing to try may be to ask family friends working in Medicine if they can help you, or to contact your school's careers service for advice.

One of the most important things to remember is that medical schools will want to see what you have learned on your placement - not that you have an impressive list of various hospital placements! So don't worry about getting as much experience as you can, focus on the quality of the placement and getting the most out of it.

You might find it useful to look at our section on Work Experience - this includes more details of how to secure GP, hospital and voluntary medical work experience. Good luck!

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest