The Student Room Group

DO you like the royal family?

I personally hate them, what are your views?

Scroll to see replies

nah, they're a bunch of useless pampered inbred cretins
they are literally paid to do nothing and say nothing.
that just says it all, doesn't it.
"the queen does a good job", yeah, a fantastic job doing absolutely nothing other than experience the passage of time.
Reply 2
The Crown own more land than anyone else. Profits from the estates they own all goes to the government, to the tune of £250-300m a year, so without even accounting for the billions they rake in for us in tourism, they benefit us massively

In response to the person above, they do get paid, yes, but it is an odd system whereby they take £40M from the gov but they give the gov £250m or so, like said. Many of the royal family members have worked; the Queen is in her 90s so can't work obviously but you'll find many of them have participated in wars and the like
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by katierosemason1

I'm assuming you've met them all, then.

'Hate' is a strong word for a large number of people you've never met. Why do you feel so very strongly towards them in the way that you do?
Original post by Drewski
I'm assuming you've met them all, then.

He probably doesn't mean personally, just hates the idea of monarchy? Me I'm personally not to fussed about them, I like having the odd day off due to some royal affair though :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 27FT
He probably doesn't mean personally, just hates the idea of monarchy? Me I'm personally not to fussed about them, I like having the odd day off due to some royal affair though :smile:

A dislike of the idea of the Royal Family is not the same thing as saying "I personally hate them". In order to personally hate them OP must have met them all. In reality I doubt OP has even been close to a single one of them, let alone all of them.

If OP wants a proper debate then OP should use language correctly.
Original post by Drewski
A dislike of the idea of the Royal Family is not the same thing as saying "I personally hate them". In order to personally hate them OP must have met them all. In reality I doubt OP has even been close to a single one of them, let alone all of them.

If OP wants a proper debate then OP should use language correctly.

He probably just used the wrong terminology. People tend to use 'personally' as ways to express their opinion, whether it is grammatically correct or not
I don't have a problem with them, in fact I rather like what they do.
It would be best for them to be removed and replaced with an eternal monarch.
No, they're all useless. Inb4 people be like "muh tourism and unity and prince williams bald head".

#Republicanism4Lyf
Original post by 27FT
He probably just used the wrong terminology. People tend to use 'personally' as ways to express their opinion, whether it is grammatically correct or not

I fully expect that that was the case.

But that's no excuse to allow sloppy writing.

How can you hate people you've never met? I was there when Prince William was in Blackburn to shake hands with people and he seemed like an alright guy, even if he was a bit rushed.
I personally don't really care. Why should I? They're nothing to me and I have more important things to worry about.

But I do think people should leave them alone a bit. They are people with feelings just like everyone else. I know they do a lot of dumb things from time to time, but so do we. Fortunately for us, there isn't a camera crew filming every embarrassing moment we have.
Original post by PurpleNerple
"the queen does a good job", yeah, a fantastic job doing absolutely nothing other than experience the passage of time.

Inbred?

Anyway,I don't really care enough
Yes, God save the queen
The Queen isn't bad. I don't see why we need the rest of the hangers-on.
Original post by PurpleNerple

You apparently haven't noticed how much work the royal family do as diplomats. Some of them are involved in charities, and a number of them have served in the military. Prince Charles has some involvement with organic farming, and William is qualified as a search and rescue pilot for example.

They are not "lazy" and they do not "do nothing and say nothing".
The monarchy attracts more in tourism than it costs to maintain, therefore it is a net gain
"I hate them"

"Why?"

"because uh...........they're useless"

Is the conversation I have with a lot of monarchy-skeptics. I don't know what your definition of "useless" is but it's different to mine.

Benefits of the royal family:
- Generates MASSIVE tourism = money
- Consequently generates more money than they use
- Represents an interesting and unique part of Britain's history and culture
- Serves as a "uniting factor" regardless of contemporary politics. Take a look at the crowds and celebrations for the Diamond Jubilee if you want evidence.
- Realistically-speaking has no political power. If the Queen were to refuse Royal Assent the monarchy would almost certainly be overthrown.
- Does no harm. Whatsoever.
- Several work.

Points against:
- "they do nothing and are useless"
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending