The Student Room Group

Can I realistically get into a uni course for Physiotherapy?

I didn't know what I wanted to do at 15/16 so bounced around sixth form and ended up doing my 'hobby' as a level 3 extended diploma in horse management, which i don't want to continue further- I've developed a passion for Physiotherapy but have I wasted my years doing my course, will I ever be able to study Physiotherapy ?
I was thinking of doing an Access course in science but that gives me 45 credits max and the unis seem to want 60 and I'm not sure how to get that. My GCSES are
English language B
English literature B
religion and philosophy A
Maths C
Science single B
science double C
Art C
and a few certificates in IT

Predicted DDM in my horse management diploma (ends in may) which would give me a bunch of UCAS points

would it be realistic to think I could do an Access course and get it? Or would unis favor A level students, thank you very much

Emily
Original post by Emxli
I didn't know what I wanted to do at 15/16 so bounced around sixth form and ended up doing my 'hobby' as a level 3 extended diploma in horse management, which i don't want to continue further- I've developed a passion for Physiotherapy but have I wasted my years doing my course, will I ever be able to study Physiotherapy ?
I was thinking of doing an Access course in science but that gives me 45 credits max and the unis seem to want 60 and I'm not sure how to get that. My GCSES are
English language B
English literature B
religion and philosophy A
Maths C
Science single B
science double C
Art C
and a few certificates in IT

Predicted DDM in my horse management diploma (ends in may) which would give me a bunch of UCAS points

would it be realistic to think I could do an Access course and get it? Or would unis favor A level students, thank you very much

Emily

Hi,
I've just been accepted to study physio after 4 years of trying so I know how it feels to be so far away from your goal.

For one if you're still interested in horses and animals in general - have you looked at animal physiotherapy (try harper adams uni)

I'm a mature student that did the access course - you get 45 credits at L3 and then 15 credits at Level 2 (from what I remember) all courses will run at 60 credits in total - some come from study skills so just focus on the fact that you have enough biology/health credits.

I did an Access to Health Professions course which is geared towards Nursing, Midwifery and so on - they told me only 1 person went on to be a physio afterwards, but so far 3 from my group have!

As long as you have B and above in Maths and English you will be fine - the access course will help you redo those if you don't and they cover all the biology required for starting year 1.

Write a kick ass personal statement - Looking back and comparing mine from the last 4 years this year was definitely my strongest.

Gain some work experience and look up the 6 C's of nursing and try to show how you have all of those qualities.

Be sure to check the website of the Uni's as some e.g. Keele wont accept the access course if you have been out of school for less than 3 years (I think)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you very much!
I did look into the animal Physiotherapy but if I did that I'd want to work with humans too - maybe a horse and rider physiotherapist, so id really want to do the BSc Physiotherapy. Sadly my GCSE maths is a C but I'm hoping that some universities would be OK with this, I was thinking of working as a Physiotherapy assistant or similar for a year whilst I do the Access course to gain experience.

I was kicking myself for taking the wrong courses! But then again I was 15 and a completely different person to as I am now :lol:

I think I'll go for it - I don't know unless I try but I'm just hoping I won't continuously get rejected as i don't have the a levels instead :frown:

Thank you!
Original post by Emxli
Thank you very much!
I did look into the animal Physiotherapy but if I did that I'd want to work with humans too - maybe a horse and rider physiotherapist, so id really want to do the BSc Physiotherapy. Sadly my GCSE maths is a C but I'm hoping that some universities would be OK with this, I was thinking of working as a Physiotherapy assistant or similar for a year whilst I do the Access course to gain experience.

I was kicking myself for taking the wrong courses! But then again I was 15 and a completely different person to as I am now :lol:

I think I'll go for it - I don't know unless I try but I'm just hoping I won't continuously get rejected as i don't have the a levels instead :frown:

Thank you!

The access course will probably make you resit your maths GCSE to get it up to a B (from what i remember) otherwise you'll be fine. A levels are irrelevant when you have the access - it just replaces it.

Quick Reply

Latest