The Student Room Group

Is anyone else disappointed with uni life?

I love my freedom but my social life is so dead. I think the uni life hype is only good for extraverts. I have been clubbing twice and hated it both times and my societies are mainly rubbish.

I feel so disappointed. Anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry to hear that :frown:

I'm not at uni, but going to be starting an Access to HE Course in Sept with the view to actually eventually going. Part of the reason I want to go is for the nightlife so I can let my hair down and live a little! I am an introvert though.

Which uni are you at?
I see where you are coming from, why have you only been twice? i am not there yet but i know people who are. I feel like the thought of uni is better than the actual thing. Just get smashed and dance a bit haha
Reply 3
Original post by lukebailey023
I see where you are coming from, why have you only been twice? i am not there yet but i know people who are. I feel like the thought of uni is better than the actual thing. Just get smashed and dance a bit haha

I am not a clubbing person... I hate clubbing.
I'm in a similar boat - I don't like drinking, clubs, anti-drugs and pretty shy. It's horribly cliche sounding I know, but clubs are honestly your best bet and they don't necessarily have to be in University. An example of this are the classes/clubs held at Paperchase for arty and crafty people. There's also photography clubs, sports clubs, even stuff for film fanatics depending on where you live. Theatre, music and even make up are options so put your hobbies and interests out there!

My partner's met a lot of his good friends at the gym, local pool and through living at student accommodation. I met some of my greatest friends online. It's all relative but yes! It's overrated and hyped up to be something it's not, especially to introverts.
Original post by loveleest

really what about it?
Reply 6
Original post by lukebailey023
really what about it?

The overcrowding, people pushing and shoving you, too loud.
I hated clubbing the first few times I went if I'm honest, it was only until I was comfortable around my new friends, used to my surroundings and more comfortable that I started to enjoy it. Though you may just never like it.

I strongly believe your social life is what you make of it, I didn't make enough of an effort in my first couple of years. That was completely my own fault. I'm frequently busy and out with friends now because I am very pro-active in my social life. I don't wait for other people to make plans if I am bored and want to do something, I make them myself.
I would definitely say its overrated though my social life has been far better here than before (worst being in secondary school). I didn't put much effort in joining many societies and one I don't do much with though my other one I love so much. I don't really hang around with people much since I find that difficult still and I still spend a lot of time in my room but people are far friendlier and sociable than in college and secondary school so its definitely an improvement.
Do you have much free time with your university course? Maybe doing some voluntary work or getting a little part time job will help you to meet new people?
Reply 10
Original post by Vikingninja
I would definitely say its overrated though my social life has been far better here than before (worst being in secondary school). I didn't put much effort in joining many societies and one I don't do much with though my other one I love so much. I don't really hang around with people much since I find that difficult still and I still spend a lot of time in my room but people are far friendlier and sociable than in college and secondary school so its definitely an improvement.

I only go to one society at my uni. Most are pretty sh!t tbh.
If i'm being honest, it's certainly geared towards extroverts as drinking and clubbing is 90% of what people do, especially during the first year.

I didn't find any societies appealing and they just seemed ..lame to me. I got unlucky with my flatmates as we were complete opposites, and it was all a bit fake.

I just wish I made more of an effort to talk to people during the first week or so when friendship groups were made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only go to one society at my uni. Most are pretty sh!t tbh.

Yeah the society I'm active in is Tae Kwon Doe which is fun because of how much there is involved in it (did karate where we only learned basic front kicks at white belt but here already started with tornado kicks), I am a member of the gaming society though I've only been involved with a tournament since the main sessions are... well gamers nuff said. Didn't join anymore sports clubs since it would be too expensive and a lot of the other non sports societies didn't interest me and I didn't see much point in joining with some of my interests (like listening to rock).
Reply 13
Original post by Vikingninja
Yeah the society I'm active in is Tae Kwon Doe which is fun because of how much there is involved in it (did karate where we only learned basic front kicks at white belt but here already started with tornado kicks), I am a member of the gaming society though I've only been involved with a tournament since the main sessions are... well gamers nuff said. Didn't join anymore sports clubs since it would be too expensive and a lot of the other non sports societies didn't interest me and I didn't see much point in joining with some of my interests (like listening to rock).

What do you do in your gaming society? Is it fun because I am thinking about joining
What do you do in your gaming society? Is it fun because I am thinking about joining

Sorry about late reply. Its mostly gaming sessions though the PC lot is a bit awkward since they just bring their own laptops. They also run NUEL gaming tournaments which was what I was in. Other socials like bar crawls and dinners, only been to christmas dinner.

at least you tried and no one can say you didnt.

i am going to have the same problem (introvert) but it doesnt really bother me. i am viewing uni the same way i view college (and work) which is that i am there to do my job, not make friends. i dont care who does what or what they are doing outside class/lectures as long as i am passing my assessments
Reply 16
Original post by Richard0328
at least you tried and no one can say you didnt.

i am going to have the same problem (introvert) but it doesnt really bother me. i am viewing uni the same way i view college (and work) which is that i am there to do my job, not make friends. i dont care who does what or what they are doing outside class/lectures as long as i am passing my assessments

I agree but I just feel so...boring sometimes erugh😣😥
Reply 17
Join some societies you're passionate about, are you in halls or living at home? The latter makes it very difficult from what I've seen.

I would genuinely disregard comments about being there to 'just study'. If Oxbridge students can juggle hectic social lives along with work and other commitments the rest of us can too! And it's an amazing opportunity to grow as a person so I would keep trying, if it works out you'll be thankful you did in the future.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Sae.HH
Join some societies you're passionate about, are you in halls or living at home? The latter makes it very difficult from what I've seen.

Living away, 30 mins walk from my uni.
Reply 19
Living away, 30 mins walk from my uni.

So... with other students? Or at home? :p: If you're unhappy with your social situation find halls or a large house to live in next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending