The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This is hilarious, that person is clearly a troll
Reply 41
Original post by ArtemisLogic
I think a "planet" in and of itself, is a concept with assumptive connotations attached to it. The 'idea' of a planet that we currently have, is one of solid matter, held together in a spherical body by a force called gravity.

This is not always how planets were viewed and is somewhat of a modern idea, only a few hundred years old.

Planets to our eyes are identical to stars, only that they move. The sumerians called the planets the "wandering stars", so that's what I think they are. Celestial luminaries.

And I think that's all 'stars' are too, celestial luminaries.

So do you accept that planets, when viewed through a telescope, are clearly spherical? And the moon is spherical, and the sun?

And they traverse the sky, AND move nearer and further from the earth.

What holds them up? What makes them move in a regular and predictable pattern?

And specifically thinking about the moon; what happens during a lunar eclipse? What causes the shadow across it? What shape is the shadow?

Meanwhile. Have you seen a foucault's pendulum? (There's one at the Science Museum in London.) Why does it move the way it does?
Not having access to a entire pharmacy's worth of blood pressure medication, I'm not going to debate the technicalities of why the notion of a flat earth is impossible. I don't need to - @jneill , @BigYoSpeck and others have done it well enough already.

Just this. The overwhelming majority of the world's educated population understands that the earth is an oblate spheroid. It is a fact so universally acknowledged that it isn't even referenced. It's as obvious and accepted as 'water is wet', or 'nothing is more certain than death and taxes', or 'so long as there's TSR, there'll be trolly behaviour'.

Given the weight of scientific evidence over the years and the consensus of generations of the world's population, why do you believe something so very, very silly?
Original post by the_herbivore
you can't compare a small spheroid to earth. When you walk you are practically walking on a flat surface because earth is so big.

exactly! Checkmate round earthers
Reply 44
Looks like OP has taken themselves for a walk and fallen off the edge.
Alright, I'll bite.

OP what's your view on Felix Baumgartner?

[video]https://youtu.be/2rEO1nju_fw?t=161[/video]
Reply 46
Original post by StephenWond3rboy
Alright, I'll bite.

OP what's your view on Felix Baumgartner?

And

[video="youtube;PLdReXQ_iX4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLdReXQ_iX4[/video]
Original post by SusanC
This is hilarious, that person is clearly a troll

It is interesting to play along to see what arguments they propose.
You never been in a plane??.. One can clearly see the curve of the planet from a plane
Original post by Livinlikelarry
You never been in a plane??.. One can clearly see the curve of the planet from a plane

Yes i have been on a plane many times and have never seen curvature. Why? Because there isn't any. Perhaps because we live on a plain?

We do not live on a spinning ball!!! Its ridiculousness.

Why do believers know and understand that evolution is a malicious satanic hoax, but can not see that the big bang is also a satanic malicious hoax?

Regardless, they continue to be intoxicated by this Babylonian wine.
Original post by ArtemisLogic
I don't believe in a god because there is no evidence for a "hierarchical personified deity", whilst at the same time, I have a seemingly 'backward' view of reality, in that I also don't believe the earth is a ball.

I have not seen evidence for the earth being a ball, I have seen the curvature of the earth on go-pro cameras sent up on balloons, but all go-pros have a curved panoramic lens making a flat horizon appear curved.

I don't believe anything I'm told by governmental hierarchical institutions run by the government - and don't even get me started on SpaceX.

I have different views of 'gravity' to the consensus, and obviously a lot of other things.

I'm here to answer your questions and clear up some misconceptions that have gave cultured flat earthers like myself a bad name.

Would the fact that the earth is clearly spherical as seen from space, not show you that Earth cannot be flat? There are a lot of images taken from satellites and the International Space Station that show this. I don't understand people who believe Earth is flat. It's ridiculous, but I appreciate you are entitled to you views.
Original post by JustACoincidence
Would the fact that the earth is clearly spherical as seen from space, not show you that Earth cannot be flat? There are a lot of images taken from satellites and the International Space Station that show this. I don't understand people who believe Earth is flat. It's ridiculous, but I appreciate you are entitled to you views.

I guess when you reject any evidence that would refute your views as being manufactured by the government to deceive the masses, you can believe anything you want.

So you must be a spaceman then? How many times have you been up to this space?
Reply 53
Original post by Drummond

How many times have you been in an aircraft?
Original post by Doonesbury
How many times have you been in an aircraft?

Too many times to remember.
Reply 55

Above that you have the science of satellites orbiting the Earth along with the photos they provide. There is nothing to support flat Earth theories.

The images are sent back to this planet. It's that simple. I don't have to have been in space personally to know that the Earth is round. The shape of other planets and moons, etc, must be a clear enough indication. Like, the moon can be clearly seen as a sphere, and can the sun. Other planets are observed as spheres. This kind of thinking is so archaic.
Reply 57
Too many times to remember.

That's good. Did you ever take the seatbelt off?
The images are sent back to this planet. It's that simple. I don't have to have been in space personally to know that the Earth is round. The shape of other planets and moons, etc, must be a clear enough indication. Like, the moon can be clearly seen as a sphere, and can the sun. Other planets are observed as spheres. This kind of thinking is so archaic.

Just because the moon might appear to be round does not mean the earth is a ball.

If you are a white man and you look at a black man, why do you believe you are a black man too?
Original post by Doonesbury
That's good. Did you ever take the seatbelt off?

Yes i have.

Latest

Trending

Trending