The Student Room Group

can i become a doctor or something that is in medicine by choosing double science??

hy, i am 14 and today i got my option booklet , i had the double science one.
i want to become a doctor and i am really worried if i can.
because my question is can i become a Doctor by doing double science and if yes how.
it is really important for me, please help.
Original post by helloyouguys
because my question is can i become a Doctor by doing double science and if yes how.

It depends - if your school will still allow you to take biology and chemistry at A-level, then it should be fine.

However, you will need to do extra work in the summer between GCSEs and sixth-form, as your friends who've done triple science will have done more bio/chem than you.

In order to have a good chance of gaining a place at medical school, you need good grades at biology and chemistry A-level - at least As, realistically - and doing triple science would probably help with that.

Having said that, I know someone who did double science at GCSE and now has a place to do biochemistry at Oxford.

Yes, not everyone who chooses to do science at A-Levels has done/is doing triple science. Your interest for science is likely to grow during your GCSE period, I know mine did. Although I am doing triple science, I can safely say that it should be no problem doing double science. As the person before pointed out, it will be important to focus even more and revising to bridge that gap between those who have a little extra knowledge by doing triple science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you not taking triple science? You should take it if possible.

Doesn't matter at all. You shouldn't need to do extra work either, as your teacher will just go over any previous topics.
It really doesn't matter whether you do double or triple at GCSE, bc at the end of the day as long as you get the grades to be able to do science for A level, you can do either.
I did double and I do both Chemistry and Biology for A level and I have people that did triple and many people that did double in my classes.
The only difference is that you do a extra unit and therefore an extra gcse, but you dont have time to go over anything at the end and students I know say its quite rushed and hard to process at times whereas in double its a bit more slower and you can get a better understanding of the topics :smile:
It's fine :yy: There are lots of requirements for getting a medicine offer, but you shouldn't be stressing over them in year 9 or year 10. For now, just try to choose a wide range of GCSEs which you think you can get As and A*s in and which you find interesting.
wtf no u cant no chancen
Reply 8

I don't think universities care what subjects you chose at GCSE. They care about the subject choices at A level.

I know you are only 14 but you should do more research. Look at all the websites of the universities that offer medicine as a course.
Reply 9
yeah, my friend did double science at GCSE and is now studying density at uni
If you're concerned about the slightly mixed messages here - just look at the entry requirements for Medicine at the various Universities that offer it (search the UCAS wesbite to find them) - you can see they all accept Double Science. The only thing that varies is the grades you'll be expected to get (for Science and other subjects but even more importantly for English and Maths). GCSE science isn't seen as important because you'll need to do at least 2 Sciences at A level anyway. In no way will any Uni think less of your application because you only did double science.

As for it being a disadvantage when you study A levels - it will only be very slight. There's no real need to do any "catch up" work or whatever. If you fail to get an A, it won't be because you didn't do triple science.

Ask your teachers and they should confirm what I've said although be aware they might not be very well aware of the complex field of medical school admissions so it would be good to find a teacher who's good with that kind of thing, i.e. Uni applications or careers advice etc.
Double science is absolutely acceptable - many schools don't offer triple so it has to be.

I'd do triple if you can though - just so you're more prepared for A-level bio and chem, in which you absolutely must be able to get at least As in.
My school didnt even offer triple science - when we asked to do it, they told us it didnt exist.
It would probably have made a levels (at a different school where triple did exist) a bit easier but i dont think double has been a problem when applying - i still got interviews :smile:
if you really want to do triple science you could do it privately. my friend is doing that so maybe you could look into it. but i think it should be ok if you do double science :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest