The Student Room Group

M3 static elasticity problem

Attachment not found
Q26, pg 103, Review Ex 1 from the Heinemann Modular Mathematics M3 textbook.
I have done parts 1 and 2, giving the ratio as 12:5 and the tension as 11.76N, but my calculations of the last part are not working out. Using trig I found out the stretched length of AC was 0.65m and that would make the extension 0.11, then using Hooke's Law I set up the equation of 11.76=(lambda/0.54((0.11), but that gets lambda as 57.7N not the 106N in the answer. I thought this was the easiest part of the question but my answer is apparently wrong, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Amusing Elk so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by jasminebeech
Attachment not found
Q26, pg 103, Review Ex 1 from the Heinemann Modular Mathematics M3 textbook.
I have done parts 1 and 2, giving the ratio as 12:5 and the tension as 11.76N, but my calculations of the last part are not working out. Using trig I found out the stretched length of AC was 0.65m and that would make the extension 0.11, then using Hooke's Law I set up the equation of 11.76=(lambda/0.54((0.11), but that gets lambda as 57.7N not the 106N in the answer. I thought this was the easiest part of the question but my answer is apparently wrong, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thread moved to Maths.

You haven't got any replies yet because you posted in the wrong forum and your attachment link doesn't work. If you still need help then please try posting the link again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest