The Student Room Group

47% of British people support so-called Muslim ban

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
If its a national representative, then why wasn't I asked??

You think you can interpolate the views of 6 million people from just a few dozen in the survey? lol

I'm 12 and even I know surveys are biased. Key stage 2 english. Weren't you educated?

Now, now. Stop that.
Important to remember that Trump's ban goes beyond preventing migration (which is severely limited anyway). It bans all travel, which isn't what this poll asked.
I'm tired of this being called a 'Muslim ban.' It's not a ban on Muslims. If it was, every Muslim from every country would be banned.

No, it's a ban on visitors/immigration from certain countries which, in today's geopolitical climate, would be deemed high risk. And once those countries have sorted their **** out, you open up the border to their citizens again.
Original post by Reality Check
That does mean that 53% of people, or more than half, are not in favour/undecided of a so-called muslim ban.

No, more were in favour, just some were confused. I think it was 47 for, 41 against, rest not sure.
Original post by Count Bezukhov
Why are people incapable of making the distinction between race and religion/culture? They're completely different concepts.

No, they're not. It depends on the situation and the context that shapes identity. Sometimes religious affiliation is unrelated to ethnic identity, and sometimes it's unrelated. Often, it's somewhere in between.

To take the most extreme example, in the former Yugoslavia, "Muslim" is a recognised ethnicity (while in recent years its been superseded by "Bosniak", there are still substantial communities who identify purely as "Muslim"). Alternatively, take the confessional system in Lebanon, where all citizens are effectively required to identify as a member of an Abrahamic religious denomination. The same is true, in one form or another, for many states in the region, including Israel.

To use an example closer to home, take Northern Ireland. When we talk about Northern Irish people as being "Catholic" or "Protestant", we're not really talking about their religious beliefs. We're talking about what is essentially an ethnic division (though Orientalism dissuades people from calling it that).

While not quite as polarised as this, there are certainly people who come from Muslim backgrounds and somewhat identify as "Muslim" or part of the Muslim community on that basis, even if they're not actually that religious themselves.

TL;DR - it's complicated.
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
All these people blindly believing the polls as wholly accurate and yet threw a hissy fit when the Trump polls got it wrong lol.

It doesn't really matter because as it is with every social issue, it is the older generation that are intolerant and preach regressive ideas. Once they die off we will not have such irrational thought plaguing the nation at such a massive level.

44% of young people support a ban. That's a very large percentage.
Original post by balanced
No, more were in favour, just some were confused. I think it was 47 for, 41 against, rest not sure.

Didn't 30% say they 'neither agree or disagree.' Thus, making fully against just 23%. Or I'm reading it wrong?
Original post by Jibola240
44% of young people support a ban. That's a very large percentage.

They support a ban on 7 countries.
Original post by Jibola240
Didn't 30% say they 'neither agree or disagree.' Thus, making fully against just 23%. Or I'm reading it wrong?

I was thinking of another poll
Original post by RedManc
I would support it.

@cranbrook_aspie
@RayApparently
A member of the labour party supports the Muslim ban .
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by fleky6910
@cranbrook_aspie
@RayApparently
A member of the labour party supports the Muslim ban , this is shocking!

How is it shocking. The Soviets banned religion. I don't think that's a bad idea.
Excellent. :smile:
Original post by RedManc
How is it shocking. The Soviets banned religion. I don't think that's a bad idea.

You are heavily mistaken
Reply 33
Original post by fleky6910
You are heavily mistaken

No I'm not.
Reply 34
The other 53% are muslims
47% of British people have been successfully deluded by the media.
Original post by Caius Filimon
Because simple mindedness is an awfully common trait in people nowadays.

By any chance did you support Clinton and vote remain? You sound like somebody who supported Clinton and voted remain.
Unsurprisingly, given that the UK is generally a fairly liberal country, many people find themselves in opposition to many of Islam's ideals.
you should move to poland - no ******** there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending