The Student Room Group

What time do you go to bed and wake up?

I feel like during the school day, I'm always tired. I'm going to try to start going to bed earlier and I was wondering what time you go to bed (and wake up) and if this leaves you feeling tired or refreshed. At this stage, I really can't afford to not be feeling alert during the school day. It's just that revision, homework and coursework piles up and before I know it it's really late.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel the exact same and I have tonnes of revision and work to go through also!

I normally go to sleep at around 10:30 and wake up at 7 (sometimes 5:45) on the day of an exam, but I still feel extremely tired and these past few days have been extremely bad for me in terms of sleep quality/time..

It might be an option to see your GP and ask for a blood test, as a deficiency in iron or vitamin D can lead to tiredness, which is what I've had, so I'm having another blood-test soon.
Aim for 9 hours of sleep per day (8.5 is pushing it).
Cold shower when you wake up.
Think about something difficult for 5 minutes.
Drink a huge glass of water.
Good breakfast.
Have breaks during revision and school work.
Stay hydrated and eat healthily.

Seems to work fine for me. 10A*s + 1A predictions.
What I've found makes a huge difference for me is waking up at the same time every day (for me 7:15). I find that I feel so much more awake doing this, and lying in for 5/10 more minutes makes me feel more tired. I've also found that getting out of my bedroom straight after I've turned my alarm clock off helps me avoid going back to bed.
Reply 4
I go to bed at 1am - 2am. I wake up at 6.30ish.
Original post by TheMightyBadger
Good breakfast.

wow thats amazing just curious what you do for maths and english and whats the A in
Original post by samaad1
wow thats amazing just curious what you do for maths and english and whats the A in

Thanks.
Maths and English are 9s.
The A is in Philosophy and Ethics because I didn't take the homework tasks seriously, despite getting A*s in every end of topic test. However, I revised in lots of depth for my mock today and I am expecting near to full marks (67ish/72).
sleep at 12ish... wake up at 7:45.
Thanks.
Maths and English are 9s.
The A is in Philosophy and Ethics because I didn't take the homework tasks seriously, despite getting A*s in every end of topic test. However, I revised in lots of depth for my mock today and I am expecting near to full marks (67ish/72).

wow thats amazing how do you revise for english and maths?
Original post by samaad1
wow thats amazing how do you revise for english and maths?

Maths. I don't really. I mainly just skim through revision guides and see if there is anything I haven't come across recently, to remind myself.

English Language. You need to be very familiar with exam technique and what you are actually being asked to do answer. Practice some creative writing and complex vocabulary and sentence structure.

English Literature. Know the context of your texts, the characters, character relationships, the whole plot very well and all of the themes, so that you can expand on that during the exam. Spend about two thirds of time commenting on the language in the extract based questions and the other third of time commenting on the rest of the novel/play.
Good breakfast.

omg can i have ur brain please?how do you stay motivated during studying and how do u study and not give up bc something is too hard etc.....any tips?
Go to bed at 1 (can't get to sleep any earlier than this), and wake up at 5.30-6. I feel refreshed when I wake up but may start to feel a little tired in the afternoon...a coffee will sort this out though.
Good breakfast.

Go to bed at 11-12 and wake up at 6:30, predicted one better. Catch up over the weekend and manage to fit in maybe 3 hours revision a night then 5 hours Saturday and same on Sunday, in top of homework.
Original post by tamil fever
omg can i have ur brain please?how do you stay motivated during studying and how do u study and not give up bc something is too hard etc.....any tips?

Stay motivated. Shout out loud that you are the best. Think about that slip of paper in August with flawless grades.

When you don't understand something. Take a short break in a different environment or change subject, then come back to it. Say stuff out loud; it works. Scribble the information down until it is stuck in your head, again and again. If possible get someone else to test you. When you have truly mastered something, you will be able to explain it so well and fluently that you could teach it to a 5 year old. I hope this makes sense.

I also find it useful to integrate what I learn into real life examples, thus adding some meaning to it and I am more likely to remember it because of that. Also, participate in class; it helps.

Good luck in your exams. Stay focused. Always do active revision such as speaking or writing, never reading - it is possibly the most pointless activity.

Also, another good tip is to make notes with your own class notes, several revision guides if possible and answers from past papers. Do as many past papers as possible. I hope this is enough.
Stay motivated. Shout out loud that you are the best. Think about that slip of paper in August with flawless grades.

When you don't understand something. Take a short break in a different environment or change subject, then come back to it. Say stuff out loud; it works. Scribble the information down until it is stuck in your head, again and again. If possible get someone else to test you. When you have truly mastered something, you will be able to explain it so well and fluently that you could teach it to a 5 year old. I hope this makes sense.

I also find it useful to integrate what I learn into real life examples, thus adding some meaning to it and I am more likely to remember it because of that. Also, participate in class; it helps.

Good luck in your exams. Stay focused. Always do active revision such as speaking or writing, never reading - it is possibly the most pointless activity.

Also, another good tip is to make notes with your own class notes, several revision guides if possible and answers from past papers. Do as many past papers as possible. I hope this is enough.

thank you so much:biggrin:
if i don't have uni, then it naturally shifts to 3AM - about 12ishPM
Original post by tamil fever
thank you so much:biggrin:

I forgot to mention that you have to be disciplined. If you are distracted by something, get rid of it, otherwise you will never fully concentrate.
I forgot to mention that you have to be disciplined. If you are distracted by something, get rid of it, otherwise you will never fully concentrate.

but the thing is I am a person who easily gets bored and distracted:frown:
i sleep around 10pm-3am and wake up around 5am-9am usually. I manage to get around 6-7 ours of sleep on average...
Once, I returned home from college, did my epq the whole evening/night without a wink of sleep (bc the deadline was the next day and I am a champion at procrastination) and went back to college the next morning. I was dozing off in the bus and in chemistry lmao
I go to bed at 10:20 but usually go to sleep at 12:00/1:00 ish (phone, distractions etc) and then wake up at 6:00

Quick Reply

Latest