The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obiejess
When you need to work but all you can do is gorge yourself on Uncle Ben's risotto at nearly midnight and watch twitch streams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you give up with English Lit and play Pokemon all night :lol:

I can officially proclaim my lack of competence for the 'modern' English Lit texts

Give me Shakespeare (Hamlet FTW) over Atwood any day of the week :angry:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
When you give up with English Lit and play Pokemon all night :lol:

I can officially proclaim my lack of competence for the 'modern' English Lit texts

Give me Shakespeare (Hamlet FTW) over Atwood any day of the week :angry:

The most modern text we're doing is Regeneration and it's actually pretty good tbh. Though I feel you about English Lit - had a mock today :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ruthie2267
How far through are you with your Paper 3 topic? We finished ours before Christmas because our teacher's having to leave soon which was incredibly fast and not much has gone in unfortunately 😂 Also do you have any tips for the source questions because I feel like that's where I'm falling down a lot :frown:

Oh gosh tell me about it - if I have to write Madagascar Plan ever again I s2g 😂 The first thing I got asked in my interview was about thencoursework it was actually quite fun - but that was before I had to trawl through numerous interpretations trying to find something I could use 😓 You sound about the same stage as me though thank god!!

I think I'll definitely do the print out thing, but I don't want to change my phone wallpaper in case I desensitise myself :wink: it's so scary though isn't it, that we have an offer but it could slip through our grasp 😩

For paper 3 we're about 3/4, maybe 80% of the way through. I've also struggled a little bit with the source questions, as for tips I guess just make sure your inferences link back to the question clearly, and if you can link them to the provenance directly do it rather than dedicate a single paragraph just for provenance. I initially didn't think enough about the intended audience of the texts either, and what we can infer from it in relation to the question. They're straight forward questions, in theory - we structure it as 2 or 3 paragraphs of inferences showing the strength of the source and 1 or 2 showing its limitations as well as the intro/conclusion. It's just you get some vague sources in which it's hard to develop coherent, plausible inferences from.

Do you have any idea of what grade boundaries might be? For our mock we did a Source Q and a standard essay, and it was 36/40 for an A*, so I assume a normal paper will be about 54, but it's the first ever year of the paper so maybe it will be lower?
Original post by Obiejess
The most modern text we're doing is Regeneration and it's actually pretty good tbh. Though I feel you about English Lit - had a mock today :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our most modern text is our coursework text 'The Paying Guests' published in 2012. It's more something you'd take to read on holiday rather then make a group of 17 year olds study it!

My English Lit mock I got a B and hardly attempted the paper, but on a practice essay on dystopia (comparative paper) and I got a C. I can do the Early Modern things really well (always got As for those) but not the 'easy' texts'. Going to have to work on them!! Need that A!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
For paper 3 we're about 3/4, maybe 80% of the way through. I've also struggled a little bit with the source questions, as for tips I guess just make sure your inferences link back to the question clearly, and if you can link them to the provenance directly do it rather than dedicate a single paragraph just for provenance. I initially didn't think enough about the intended audience of the texts either, and what we can infer from it in relation to the question. They're straight forward questions, in theory - we structure it as 2 or 3 paragraphs of inferences showing the strength of the source and 1 or 2 showing its limitations as well as the intro/conclusion. It's just you get some vague sources in which it's hard to develop coherent, plausible inferences from.

Do you have any idea of what grade boundaries might be? For our mock we did a Source Q and a standard essay, and it was 36/40 for an A*, so I assume a normal paper will be about 54, but it's the first ever year of the paper so maybe it will be lower?

We have a super regimented structure for sources that takes far too long to complete. We have a whole booklet on answer structures! I've lost mine but if anyone wanted some photos (exam board is edexcel mind) when I get a replacement I'd be happy to comply.
Reply 1285
Original post by liziepie
IMG_0020.jpg
Here's my motivational wall :wink: also have a picture as my phone background so whenever I get distracted I feel somewhat guilty for procrastinating (but not enough to stop)

I'm not sure if you've noticed but you spelt Cambridge wrong, but otherwise it looks really good :smile:
Reply 1286
Original post by hiq
I'm not sure if you've noticed but you spelt Cambridge wrong, but otherwise it looks really good :smile:

All the cool kids spell it Cambride now bro
For the stats-lovers amongst us, here's some provisional 2017 applications/offers numbers which were released in a batch of FOIs today:

Comp Sci: 859 applications, 131 offers
Economics: 996 applications, 181 offers
English: 761 applications, 240 offers
MML French and Spanish: 188 applications, 93 offers
Geography: 323 applications, 118 offers
HSPS: 926 applications, 205 offers
Law: 1136 applications, 266 offers
Mathematics: 1449 applications, 530 offers
NatSci: 2799 applications, 739 offers
Original post by Steliata
Haha, how much work did you do?!

I used to think it was a lot, but doesn't compare to how keen some on this thread are...

Original post by alow

after crushbridge, that sounds surprisingly accurate
Original post by Zacken
I swear, you guys seem to be putting in more work than I put in last year and this year combined. :lol:

Dw, I haven't done any :lol:
Original post by liziepie
IMG_0020.jpg
Here's my motivational wall :wink: also have a picture as my phone background so whenever I get distracted I feel somewhat guilty for procrastinating (but not enough to stop)

I need one of those :tongue: currently have a generic picture of Kings on my wardrobe to remind me to study and my Medwards offer letter on my desk
Reply 1291
Original post by Forecast
For the stats-lovers amongst us, here's some provisional 2017 applications/offers numbers which were released in a batch of FOIs today:

Interesting, but a slightly curious list of subjects. eg. no Medicine or Engineering on the sciences side. And no History, or many others, on humanities side. I wonder why they didn't just ask for all courses instead of those 10.

Edit: here's a comparison with 2016.

2017 v 2016 Applications for 10 courses.jpg

BTW, for those interested, the FOI Forecast linked was really asking about the number of applicants offering 4 or more A-levels. That's also "quite interesting", but be aware the FOI is poorly worded and doesn't really help too much because it doesn't separately identify applicants offering IB or other A-level equivalents.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1292
Original post by hiq

Original post by alow

Yes, the g is silent. Only newbs or, worse, tourists, use it. It's a real faux pas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
I swear, you guys seem to be putting in more work than I put in last year and this year combined. :lol:

I wish that was the case for me... Non Workers and procrastinators exist too!

Original post by jneill
Interesting, but a slightly curious list of subjects. eg. no Medicine or Engineering on the sciences side. And no History, or many others, on humanities side. I wonder why they didn't just ask for all courses instead of those 10.

Edit: here's a comparison with 2016.

2017 v 2016 Applications for 10 courses.jpg

BTW, for those interested, the FOI Forecast linked was really asking about the number of applicants offering 4 or more A-levels. That's also "quite interesting", but be aware the FOI is poorly worded and doesn't really help too much because it doesn't separately identify applicants offering IB or other A-level equivalents.

How come Econ decreased so much? :O

Surely the A*A*A requirements can't put off too many people?
Original post by jamestg

It might well have done. I'm sure I've read somewhere that Economics is particularly bad for attracting 'speculative' applicants (often from overseas) who are nowhere near competitive.
It might well have done. I'm sure I've read somewhere that Economics is particularly bad for attracting 'speculative' applicants (often from overseas) who are nowhere near competitive.

Offers decreased a lot too.
Original post by Zacken
after crushbridge, that sounds surprisingly accurate

Cringebridge.
Reply 1298
Original post by jamestg

You wouldn't have thought so given that A*A*A was pretty much the standard offer last year anyway, but yeah strange. And HSPS down bigly too.

Yet UCAS "L" courses (i.e. Social Studies including both Economics & HSPS) are up generally across the UK.

Interesting...
Original post by jneill
You wouldn't have thought so given that A*A*A was pretty much the standard offer last year anyway, but yeah strange. And HSPS down bigly too.

Yet UCAS "L" courses (i.e. Social Studies including both Economics & HSPS) are up generally across the UK.

Interesting...

Very interesting indeed. I wish we could see the stats for History...

Latest

Trending

Trending