The Student Room Group

Insurance Query - My Own Car

Hi Forum,

I am currently on a learner driver policy paying around £70 a month and I have my test on the 16th February so I have tried ringing around and comparing insurance for if i pass.

My current provider has said that the insurance will come in at around £6000 which is crazy.

Do you think it will be best to search when I actually pass as I could be seen as lying if I am asking about full insurance before I have actually passed.

Has anybody gone through a similar experience before?

Please see the options I select below:

Miles: 6000
Car is kept: Street away from home
Car: Peugeot 206 Fever 1.4
Car Value: £1000

I am also stating that I have got my full license on the day that I am requesting my quote which will simulate when I pass as I will want to be driving straight away.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Reece251
Hi Forum,

I am currently on a learner driver policy paying around £70 a month and I have my test on the 16th February so I have tried ringing around and comparing insurance for if i pass.

My current provider has said that the insurance will come in at around £6000 which is crazy.

Do you think it will be best to search when I actually pass as I could be seen as lying if I am asking about full insurance before I have actually passed.

Has anybody gone through a similar experience before?

Don't worry about submitting false information for the sake of a quote, as long as you don't actually take the policy out, you'll be absolutely okay. Use a few comparison websites to find out who's cheapest, but make sure to go to them directly to get the best deal. Never ever go directly through the comparison website first, only do so if the quote given by the insurer is higher than the quote given by the comparison.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
Don't worry about submitting false information for the sake of a quote, as long as you don't actually take the policy out, you'll be absolutely okay. Use a few comparison websites to find out who's cheapest, but make sure to go to them directly to get the best deal. Never ever go directly through the comparison website first, only do so if the quote given by the insurer is higher than the quote given by the comparison.

Thank you for your comments.

My current insurance provider are offering a quote of over £6000 when I pass and most of my quotes are over £2000 on a peugeot 206 1.4 litre.

Im 22 years of age and I cant see what would be making my insurance that high other than I will be getting my insurance on my car the second I pass my test.

What do you think about the situation? Any tips?
Reply 3
Thank you for your comments.

My current insurance provider are offering a quote of over £6000 when I pass and most of my quotes are over £2000 on a peugeot 206 1.4 litre.

Im 22 years of age and I cant see what would be making my insurance that high other than I will be getting my insurance on my car the second I pass my test.

What do you think about the situation? Any tips?

You really must consider the situation from the insurers perspective; you're a brand new driver who can finally drive independently. You're a much bigger risk. In these circumstances, you can only really try the usual things of adding named drivers with good histories to lower your premiums.
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
You really must consider the situation from the insurers perspective; you're a brand new driver who can finally drive independently. You're a much bigger risk. In these circumstances, you can only really try the usual things of adding named drivers with good histories to lower your premiums.

Ingenie have just quoted me an initial £464.78 with 10 monthly payments of £208.23 after that.

How does that sound?
Reply 5
Ingenie have just quoted me an initial £464.78 with 10 monthly payments of £208.23 after that.

How does that sound?

Is that WITH a black box???
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Is that WITH a black box???

That is yes.
I've just gone to 5 other sites that specialize in black box and young driver insurance and have been quoted £500 a month and one of them wouldn't give me a quote because of my 'exceptional circumstances'

I'm convinced im doing something wrong and whilst i'm happy to pay £500 initially and then £200 im sure it can be cheaper than that.

Am I going crazy or does this sound about right?
Reply 7
That is yes.
I've just gone to 5 other sites that specialize in black box and young driver insurance and have been quoted £500 a month and one of them wouldn't give me a quote because of my 'exceptional circumstances'

I'm convinced im doing something wrong and whilst i'm happy to pay £500 initially and then £200 im sure it can be cheaper than that.

Am I going crazy or does this sound about right?

This is sounding rather absurd. Do you live in an area of particularly high crime rate? Is the car relatively old? Do you have any convictions to your name, irrespective of motoring relations?
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
This is sounding rather absurd. Do you live in an area of particularly high crime rate? Is the car relatively old? Do you have any convictions to your name, irrespective of motoring relations?

I have done checks and the crime rate seems to be ok and is not particularly high compared to the rest of the u.k.

The car is 2004 and I bought it for £1000 which might not help but I thought this would be the right thing to do as it is my first car.

I did a like for like quote on a 2.0 litre 10k mercedes that my friend owns and it came back with a quote of £2,300 whereas my car came back with the same quote.

I'm not sure if you could help me go through a quote or not? I cant see what im doing wrong as I have asked my friends a similar question and they do everything the same as me.
Reply 9
The cheapest insurance is £2,300.

Where am I going wrong!

My brother was quoted £1,200 and he passed when he was 17!

Could somebody contact me and help me go through a quote to see where i'm going wrong?
Reply 10
The cheapest insurance is £2,300.

Where am I going wrong!

My brother was quoted £1,200 and he passed when he was 17!

Could somebody contact me and help me go through a quote to see where i'm going wrong?

How many miles are you putting down?
Reply 11
6,000 miles
What about other information are you putting down through your quote. Go through every option, as well as don't call, go through price comparison sights.
Reply 13
6,000 miles

Try putting down more miles, towards the 10-15k mark. You'd be surprised at what can happen; insurance is often counter-intuitive.
Reply 14
Original post by PhilipG1
What about other information are you putting down through your quote. Go through every option, as well as don't call, go through price comparison sights.

I have edited my original post to show some of the information I am putting in
Reply 15
Original post by IWMTom
Try putting down more miles, towards the 10-15k mark. You'd be surprised at what can happen; insurance is often counter-intuitive.

The quote seems to be higher the more miles I add
Reply 16
The quote seems to be higher the more miles I add

I have also tried adding and removing my parents and my driving instructor onto my insurance but the price will only go down by a few pounds.

Is there anybody I can talk to at the insurance companies to see what might be causing it or a professional body that I can speak to about it.
Reply 17
I have also tried adding and removing my parents and my driving instructor onto my insurance but the price will only go down by a few pounds.

Is there anybody I can talk to at the insurance companies to see what might be causing it or a professional body that I can speak to about it.

There's not really anything you can do; the insurer has a right to charge you whatever they like. My first year of insurance on a 1.2l car was £2,000 and I was 17, only passed two weeks prior to insuring the car. It is, unfortunately, something you may need to pay for. Have you checked Admiral's multicar policies (assuming there's other cars at the address)?
Reply 18
Original post by IWMTom
There's not really anything you can do; the insurer has a right to charge you whatever they like. My first year of insurance on a 1.2l car was £2,000 and I was 17, only passed two weeks prior to insuring the car. It is, unfortunately, something you may need to pay for. Have you checked Admiral's multicar policies (assuming there's other cars at the address)?

It's good for me to hear the experiences and prices of others. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the following years?

Admiral are looking to charge me around the £6000 mark.
Reply 19
It's good for me to hear the experiences and prices of others. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the following years?

Admiral are looking to charge me around the £6000 mark.

My renewal quote was £800 on the same car with Admiral. I find it strange that they're looking to charge you 6,000.. have you had any claims at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending