The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,
I am a graduate enrolling on a 5 year vet med course. Will I be eligiable for maintenatine grants or loans as my family income is low and they're unable to fund both fees and living costs for me.
Hi, am an international student who is self-studying CIE A-levels. What actions can I take to help me get financial help to cover for living expenses and uni fees?
Hello,
I am over 25 and I already have completed an undergraduate BA Hons (marketing) course but interesting in doing a second undergraduate course in Architecture. Would I be eligible for student finance? Both for the fees and a maintenance loan?
And does it matter whether the architecture course is a BA or a BSc?
Thanks
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure once you've had full funding for a degree you're not eligible for anymore loans. At least that's always been my understanding.
Original post by Sarah184937
Hello,
I am over 25 and I already have completed an undergraduate BA Hons (marketing) course but interesting in doing a second undergraduate course in Architecture. Would I be eligible for student finance? Both for the fees and a maintenance loan?
Thanks

I'm sure the SFE expert will be on to help tomorrow but this page from RIBA: https://www.architecture.com/RIBA/Becomeanarchitect/Fundingyoureducation/Studentfunding/Howtofundyourstudies.aspx is a very good guide to funding for architecture students.

It's worth pointing out that ELQ rules don't apply to part time second degrees in STEM subjects but support then is limited to tuition fees funding only (and I'm not 100% sure if architecture is within the exempt subjects) - which could offer an alternative route to Part 1 qualification (and then Part II would be funded)...and even if you couldn't get a loan you'd be working and part time fees are usually low.

BA/BSc doesn't matter in Architecture - only whether the course is accredited by ARB/RIBA
Hi, I'm also 25 and I started an adult nursing degree in march 2012 and had about 2 years student finance reduced loans due to having an NHS Bursary also at the time. I didn't complete the course I withdrew in either 2014 or beginning of Jan 2015. Would I be entitled to Student finance if I applied for yet another Adult nursing degree?

Could you kindly outline which loans or grants I would or would not be entitled to? Also, lone parent and have a dependant.

Thank you
Hi, I'd like to ask whether id be eligible for living/maintenance loan if I already have a degree I did in my home country (and I know Won't be able to get any loan to cover fees) ?
Thank you in advance
Reply 8
Hi
I'm a Chinese girl born in Italy with Italian citizenship. I've always lived in Italy and I'm applying to study in the U.K. next year. Am I eligible for a student loan? I'd like to have more information about eligibility.
Thank you.
Reply 9
Hi,

I am EU student starting Graduate Entry Medicine course next year. Am I eligible for student finance loan please?

Thank you,

Marco.
Original post by Ang2706
Hi
I'm a Chinese girl born in Italy with Italian citizenship. I've always lived in Italy and I'm applying to study in the U.K. next year. Am I eligible for a student loan? I'd like to have more information about eligibility.
Thank you.

Hi ,
Based on the information you have provided regarding your nationality and residency you would be eligible to apply for EU funding.
The funding available for EU students is tuition fee only.

For more details about EU funding please visit www.gov.uk or call 0141 243 3570

Thank you
Original post by zattyzatzat
Hi, am an international student who is self-studying CIE A-levels. What actions can I take to help me get financial help to cover for living expenses and uni fees?

Hi,

We would need more information regarding your specific study details and personal circumstances to establish your eligibility for funding.

Please call Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607 or visit www.gov.uk

Many Thanks

�{wEִ
Original post by vetgirl16
Hello,
I am a graduate enrolling on a 5 year vet med course. Will I be eligiable for maintenatine grants or loans as my family income is low and they're unable to fund both fees and living costs for me.

Hi,

You could possibly be eligible for tuition fees and maintenance funding, new full-time students who already hold an equivalent or higher level qualification will be eligible for Maintenance Loan support if their new course leads to a qualification such as veterinary surgeon, this means that previous study is not taken into account

I would advise you give us a call on 0300 100 0607 so we can discuss this in further detail with you as we would need to ask further questions to determine your eligibility for funding.
Original post by Sarah184937
Hello,
Thanks

Hi,

I believe you could be entitled to full funding as architecture is one of our exception courses so we would not take your previous study into account.

In general students studying the 5 year degree (RIBA Parts 1 and 2) are entitled to apply for full support from Student Loans Company (SLC). If you are returning to do Part 2 (RIBA2) of your course, you will be accepted for funding providing you completed the RIBA part 1 and did not withdraw. You must start RIBA part 2 within 3 years of completing RIBA part 1 in order to retain your original cohort and be classed as a returning student.

I would advise calling us on 0300 100 0607 as more information will be required in order to confirm eligibility details.
Original post by nelfran29
Hi, I'm also 25 and I started an adult nursing degree in march 2012 and had about 2 years student finance reduced loans due to having an NHS Bursary also at the time. I didn't complete the course I withdrew in either 2014 or beginning of Jan 2015. Would I be entitled to Student finance if I applied for yet another Adult nursing degree?

Could you kindly outline which loans or grants I would or would not be entitled to? Also, lone parent and have a dependant.

Thank you

Hi,

If you are attending in 2016/2017 AY -NHS students that attract an NHS Bursary are only entitled to a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan; therefore if you have had any previous study this will not affect this core entitlement. Further funding would come directly from the NHS which I would suggest discussing with them in further detail.

The Government have recently announced that from 2017/18 AY new students studying Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional (AHP) courses will no longer receive bursary funding from the NHS and will instead receive regular SFE support in the same manner as students studying non-NHS courses.

This means they will be eligible for tuition fees of up to £9250, plus any additional Tuition Fee increases and the full means tested maintenance loan. You will also be able to apply for Disabled Students Allowance and Grants for Dependents.

You can check your entitlement using our online calculator https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Original post by abyz
Hi, I'd like to ask whether id be eligible for living/maintenance loan if I already have a degree I did in my home country (and I know Won't be able to get any loan to cover fees) ?
Thank you in advance

Hi,

I would advise calling us on 0300 100 0607 as we would need to determine what degree you already hold, what course you are wanting to apply for and further questions to determine your eligibility for finance.
Reply 16
Original post by Amanda Stringer
Hi ,
Based on the information you have provided regarding your nationality and residency you would be eligible to apply for EU funding.
The funding available for EU students is tuition fee only.

For more details about EU funding please visit www.gov.uk or call 0141 243 3570

Thank you

Hi,
I'd like to know when and how to apply for it too.
Thank you!
Original post by Stephanie Bell
Hi,

I believe you could be entitled to full funding as architecture is one of our exception courses so we would not take your previous study into account.

In general students studying the 5 year degree (RIBA Parts 1 and 2) are entitled to apply for full support from Student Loans Company (SLC). If you are returning to do Part 2 (RIBA2) of your course, you will be accepted for funding providing you completed the RIBA part 1 and did not withdraw. You must start RIBA part 2 within 3 years of completing RIBA part 1 in order to retain your original cohort and be classed as a returning student.

I would advise calling us on 0300 100 0607 as more information will be required in order to confirm eligibility details.

Would exemption mean that students studying architecture as a second degree would get tuition AND maintenance loan? My understanding was that although ELQ wouldn't count previous study years would be deducted from tuition loan entitlement.
Original post by Marcusson
Hi,

I am EU student starting Graduate Entry Medicine course next year. Am I eligible for student finance loan please?

Thank you,

Marco.

Hi Marco,

New Graduate Entry Medical students from the EU are eligible to receive a Tuition Fee Loan of £5535 for all academic years from student finance. In the first year Eu students are entitled to receive a Fee loan of up to £5535 and will be required to self fund the first £3465.

From year 2 onwards students will still be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £5535 and the NHS will pay the £3465 shortfall if they are in receipt of the NHS bursary.

If however the residency criteria is not met and students are not receiving the NHS Bursary, the student will need to pay the £3465 difference each year.

Many Thanks
t
Hi!
I completed my first year of an undergraduate course, but then transferred onto a different course at year 1 level again, at the same university. I've just started second semester of this course but am wanting to withdraw, as I am unhappy with the university.
If I wanted to apply for further tuition fee loans, would I be accepted? As I want to continue my degree through the open university, and as I understand it, I'm only able to apply for part time student loans due to the course being distance learning...

Many thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending