The Student Room Group
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton

Independent student

I'm 20 years old and will be 21 when I start in September my Foundation degree course. I live in my on flat without my parents and moved out nearly 2 years ago. Do I apply as an independent student? What proof would I need. And if I don't apply as an independent student who's income do I put down for my parents?
Reply 1
Original post by SabrinaRice96
I'm 20 years old and will be 21 when I start in September my Foundation degree course. I live in my on flat without my parents and moved out nearly 2 years ago. Do I apply as an independent student? What proof would I need. And if I don't apply as an independent student who's income do I put down for my parents?

You either need to have moved out 3 years ago, or had no contact with your parents for over a year to be classed as independent (or be over 25, which obviously doesn't apply for you). So if you moved out 2 years ago and are still in contact, you're not independent.
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton
Original post by SabrinaRice96

Hi @SabrinaRice96,

You may able to able to apply as independent student, but there are quite a few conditions to meet in order to be eligible for this. This guide
http://standalone.org.uk/guides/student-guide/ has all the information you need so you can check if you are eligible and it also lists how you would prove your status.

If you decide to apply based on your parents income, you would put both of them down if they are still living together and are married, or if they are separated you would usually put down the parent one you have previously lived with.

Hope this helps - I understand it can be very complex. If you need any further advice we have our own student finance team here at the university of Bolton who would be able to help you. You can have a private appointment in person if you wish or you could speak to an advisor on the telephone or via email. I've left their contact details for you below.

Please let me know if you need anything else and good luck! :smile:

Best wishes,

Leah

Student Finance Advisors:
Tel: 01204 903497
Email: [email protected] - See more at: http://www.bolton.ac.uk/Undergraduate/FeesFunding/Home.aspx#sthash.qkCnb0IW.dpuf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending