The Student Room Group

Southern Rail train drivers furious

Scroll to see replies

They are just being difficult for the sake of it. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.
Original post by Willy Pete
They are just being difficult for the sake of it. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

Agreed there they aren't thinking of the amount of passengers who are suffering because of this mess, personally I think they need to shut up and get on with their job, we all got things in our jobs we don't like.
Original post by Rock Fan
Agreed there they aren't thinking of the amount of passengers who are suffering because of this mess, personally I think they need to shut up and get on with their job, we all got things in our jobs we don't like.

If the job you're are being asked to do is unreasonable then fair enough, but what they are being asked to do is perfectly reasonable and already implemented successfully elsewhere.
Everyone is asked to do things they don't necessarily want to do. The only difference is whether or not you have a militant union, and the capability to blackmail hundreds of thousands of people.
If the job you're are being asked to do is unreasonable then fair enough, but what they are being asked to do is perfectly reasonable and already implemented successfully elsewhere.

Indeed, it clearly looks like there is a hidden agenda.
Given TSR is headquartered in Brighton, I imagine the continued mess on Southern has impacted some of them too, when they've needed to go up to town. I used to live in West Sussex, so know that line pretty well. It was busy then. My friends tell me that it's actually worse than it's been reported - people really have had to give up their jobs, move house and do all manner of ridiculous things just because they don't know day to day whether they're going to be able to get to work and, once there, whether there's any possibility of their getting back home before 10pm or whether they'll be kicked off at Crawley.
Indeed, it clearly looks like there is a hidden agenda.

Nothing is hidden, they want more money in order to do the added tasks and they conductors won't agree because they will be out of a job eventually.

It will be so much better when they just automate the entire network... One can but dream.
Nothing is hidden, they want more money in order to do the added tasks and they conductors won't agree because they will be out of a job eventually.

It will be so much better when they just automate the entire network... One can but dream.

Oh yeah it is clear they want more money, that is what they really want. If only it was Vancouver, the trains are automated there.
Reply 9

Indeed. And the fact it's taken this long for any details to emerge meant it was pretty obvious the drivers wouldn't be happy with it. The union will almost certainly lose the vote. Unfortunately for the passengers paying ££££s for a dire service.

Definitely not over yet...
Oh yeah it is clear they want more money, that is what they really want. If only it was Vancouver, the trains are automated there.

Unfortunately that kind of improvement is a long way off, the network is in massive disrepair and has incredibly dated. The best we have is the DLR and parts of the tube.
(edited 7 years ago)
Unfortunately that kind of improvement is a long way off, the network is in massive disrepair and has incredibly dated. The best we have is the DLR and parts of the tube.

Makes you wonder where all the money is going from when they keep putting the fares up.
Makes you wonder where all the money is going from when they keep putting the fares up.

It goes into maintaining the ageing systems. It costs a hell of a lot to maintain the network since it is so old, and the older it gets the more it costs to maintain.

I used to be of the same opinion, until the now COO of Southern Rail explained it to me.
Original post by Reality Check
Given TSR is headquartered in Brighton, I imagine the continued mess on Southern has impacted some of them too, when they've needed to go up to town. I used to live in West Sussex, so know that line pretty well. It was busy then. My friends tell me that it's actually worse than it's been reported - people really have had to give up their jobs, move house and do all manner of ridiculous things just because they don't know day to day whether they're going to be able to get to work and, once there, whether there's any possibility of their getting back home before 10pm or whether they'll be kicked off at Crawley.

I've always assumed the people behind TSR to be the ultimate hipsters. Old enough to be completely out of touch and quite awkward. They probably live in in Brighton and have no need for the train. Originally when they went there to stay in a madly overpriced studio above a Lush shop in town, and any trip to London would be on the back of a Vespa, or taking a Megabus to be down with the kids.

Now, years later, I assume that TSR staff are even more like aged hipsters. They have beards, tattoos and vintage dresses that are just that little bit too perfect and try-hard, and are married and living in 3-bed semis in Portslade. They still don't need the train - they've got a Vauxhall Meriva to go to Sainsburys and back when the Ocado slots are too expensive.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trinculo
I've always assumed the people behind TSR to be the ultimate hipters. Old enough to be completely out of touch and quite awkward. They probably live in in Brighton and have no need for the train. Originally when they went there to stay in a madly overpriced studio above a Lush shop in town, and any trip to London would be on the back of a Vespa, or taking a Megabus to be down with the kids.

Now, years later, I assume that TSR staff are even more like aged hipsters. They have beards, tattoos and vintage dresses that are just that little bit too perfect and try-hard, and are married and living in 3-bed semis in Portslade. They still don't need the train.

dude they do not use environmentally unfriendly machines like Vespas :facepalm2:...

here the Captain is giving Paracosm a helping hand...

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/6150f6c5d70c4be1b17152492894c50f/osmond-on-pennyfarthing-d89hwn.jpg
I've always assumed the people behind TSR to be the ultimate hipters. Old enough to be completely out of touch and quite awkward. They probably live in in Brighton and have no need for the train. Originally when they went there to stay in a madly overpriced studio above a Lush shop in town, and any trip to London would be on the back of a Vespa, or taking a Megabus to be down with the kids.

Now, years later, I assume that TSR staff are even more like aged hipsters. They have beards, tattoos and vintage dresses that are just that little bit too perfect and try-hard, and are married and living in 3-bed semis in Portslade. They still don't need the train.

They're actually really lovely people, not too hipster-y although I have my suspicions about one or two members of the CT... :hmmm:

I believe @Captain Jack travels by train most days, so probably best to ask rather than assume. :biggrin: As for out of touch, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job maintaining the UK's most popular education site...
Original post by Paracosm
They're actually really lovely people, not too hipster-y although I have my suspicions about one or two members of the CT... :hmmm:

I believe @Captain Jack travels by train most days, so probably best to ask rather than assume. :biggrin: As for out of touch, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job maintaining the UK's most popular education site...

Ok, this isn't the place for it - but technically and administratively, I'm sure they do a wonderfully competent job. But there's no denying how they're completely out of touch with students. The non-forum content is more awkward than a ginger step-child. Some of the stuff cringes so hard it could initiate a nuclear chain reaction.

TSR has been around a while, and every year, students stay the same age - roughly 16-24, but the TSR staff get older and older.
Ok, this isn't the place for it - but technically and administratively, I'm sure they do a wonderfully competent job. But there's no denying how they're completely out of touch with students. The non-forum content is more awkward than a ginger step-child. Some of the stuff cringes so hard it could initiate a nuclear chain reaction.

TSR has been around a while, and every year, students stay the same age - roughly 16-24, but the TSR staff get older and older.

Spoiler

Original post by Reality Check

Oh it's been really awful. I've worked at TSR for five years in March and commuting from Clapham has been absolutely fine except for the last 14 months. What the press is bad at reporting is that the strike days are the good days. At least when the general strikes are on there are some trains that run on time, and when drivers strike you know the trains are just cancelled. That's bad enough but only about 15 days out of the year.

The worst days are the other 350 of the year where staff have been doing unofficial strikes. This is what's been affecting everyone because you go to catch your train and then literally 2 - 3 minutes before they announce it's cancelled. It's meant that my commute daily has gone from 3.5 hours a day up to about 4 - 5 hours and rarely seats due to the fewer trains. Commutes are fine when you can sit down and read a book or mobile. For me, this has meant seeing my partner far less in the evenings and general misery on most days of the year. For people with families it has meant parents suddenly don't see their babies or children in the evening in the week.

Personally I feel that everyone at Southern should be ashamed of themselves for what they've done to people. Even if they apologised now and stopped I still don't think I would forgive them for the way they have passed this non-problem onto commuters.

The one good thing is that TSR has been really understanding with all staff affected but that doesn't make what Southern have done to people any better.

Now, years later, I assume that TSR staff are even more like aged hipsters. They have beards, tattoos and vintage dresses that are just that little bit too perfect and try-hard, and are married and living in 3-bed semis in Portslade. They still don't need the train - they've got a Vauxhall Meriva to go to Sainsburys and back when the Ocado slots are too expensive.

Come along and meet us - I don't think anyone at TSR is a hipster. We're just normal friendly people. Although there are lots of tattoos! Half the team are younger than some people on TSR...

Personally, I live in a flat in Clapham in London, I'm opening our house and garden (which was shown last year on BBC2 prime time) for charity on the 23rd July. £3.50 to get in and all money goes to care charities. You can actually see how one of us lives and verify I do not own a scooter or floral dress.
(edited 7 years ago)
The strikes should be illegal, the rail services are a joke, TFL rail is notorious for just closing stations all morning because someone threw up on the platform.. They employ about 10 rail staff to stand on the platform or at the doors to the station every morning doing absolutely nothing but standing around trying to look helpful.

The transport unions clearly have too much power, they wipe multiple millions off the economy every time they strike, which shouldnt be allowed.

My view is if you're a worker planning on striking, just quit your job and do a job where its less demanding than telling people to 'move down the platform'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending