The Student Room Group

c2 help

why do i have to use long division for b?maths.png

---Moved to Maths---
(edited 7 years ago)
You mean polynomial division? To factorise it, maybe? I tend to use the grid method myself because I find the long division too complicated :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by mervin101
why do i have to use long division for b?

---Moved to Maths---

You don't have to use long division but you have to use some kind of division method to factorise it. How have you been taught to factorise cubics?
Reply 4
Original post by notnek
You don't have to use long division but you have to use some kind of division method to factorise it. How have you been taught to factorise cubics?

I find long division easy to use so I use that but this questions ask to factorise it. most questions i have done ask this when we have to find if x+1 or something is a factor of something :/
Reply 5
I find long division easy to use so I use that but this questions ask to factorise it. most questions i have done ask this when we have to find if x+1 or something is a factor of something :/

You need to know how to use long division to factorise cubics. It sounds like you haven't learnt this topic before so you may need to check a textbook / watch a video / ask your teacher.

Actually, can you confirm which C2 exam board you are using?
Reply 6
Original post by notnek
You need to know how to use long division to factorise cubics. It sounds like you haven't learnt this topic before so you may need to check a textbook / watch a video / ask your teacher.

Actually, can you confirm which C2 exam board you are using?

lol no I have learnt this topic, i'm just doing papers
i do edexcel
my question was can i use the other method OR long division?
Reply 7
lol no I have learnt this topic, i'm just doing papers
i do edexcel
my question was can i use the other method OR long division?

You can use any method you like as long as you factorise the polynomial.

Quick Reply

Latest