The Student Room Group

Southern Rail train drivers furious

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Jack
Personally I feel that everyone at Southern should be ashamed of themselves for what they've done to people. Even if they apologised now and stopped I still don't think I would forgive them for the way they have passed this non-problem onto commuters.

I don't think it is fair to blame everyone at Southern, the management team have been working incredibly hard to resolve the matter.
Original post by Trinculo
I've always assumed the people behind TSR to be the ultimate hipters. Old enough to be completely out of touch and quite awkward. They probably live in in Brighton and have no need for the train. Originally when they went there to stay in a madly overpriced studio above a Lush shop in town, and any trip to London would be on the back of a Vespa, or taking a Megabus to be down with the kids.

Now, years later, I assume that TSR staff are even more like aged hipsters. They have beards, tattoos and vintage dresses that are just that little bit too perfect and try-hard, and are married and living in 3-bed semis in Portslade. They still don't need the train - they've got a Vauxhall Meriva to go to Sainsburys and back when the Ocado slots are too expensive.

:rofl:
Original post by Willy Pete
I don't think it is fair to blame everyone at Southern, the management team have been working incredibly hard to resolve the matter.

Maybe but it's hard to believe that when it's been going on for 14 months and there's very little communication from them. For the first 7 months of last year no one even knew what the strikes were about.
Maybe but it's hard to believe that when it's been going on for 14 months and there's very little communication from them. For the first 7 months of last year no one even knew what the strikes were about.

Such is the nature of industrial action and Unions. They haven't sat idly around doing nothing, they want to resolve this crisis because it bad for business and their business is commuters. But it is the unions that have made this whole process take so long.
Such is the nature of industrial action and Unions. They haven't sat idly around doing nothing, they want to resolve this crisis because it bad for business and their business is commuters. But it is the unions that have made this whole process take so long.

I hope so - do you know people who work there?
I hope so - do you know people who work there?

I do, Nick Brown the COO is a close family friend.
I do, Nick Brown the COO is a close family friend.

That's interesting - one day I'd love to speak to him and his colleagues to find out more about it. Personally I don't understand why they haven't been stronger with the staff than they have to date and why the government weren't activated earlier to help. At least the government are now taking it more seriously.
That's interesting - one day I'd love to speak to him and his colleagues to find out more about it. Personally I don't understand why they haven't been stronger with the staff than they have to date and why the government weren't activated earlier to help. At least the government are now taking it more seriously.

Unfortunately he wasn't brought in till late Sept 16, after the crisis had already begun. Having previously been the COO and later MD of London Underground. So he knows a thing or two about strikes and how to deal with them.

I think a lot of progress has been made since his appointment but with unions progress is always slow especially when they could potentially be losing members.
So why is everything that She-ra posts, as if it's being posted by your aunt who has just discovered facebook?

TSR has been around a while, and every year, students stay the same age - roughly 16-24, but the TSR staff get older and older.

Why don't you just speak to us and find out more about who we are rather than question and make assumptions about our integrity and motivations?

:shakecane:

I didn't realise you were following me around TSR, thanks for the heads up. I'll try harder from now on :wink:

Original post by Reality Check
Given TSR is headquartered in Brighton, I imagine the continued mess on Southern has impacted some of them too, when they've needed to go up to town. I used to live in West Sussex, so know that line pretty well. It was busy then. My friends tell me that it's actually worse than it's been reported - people really have had to give up their jobs, move house and do all manner of ridiculous things just because they don't know day to day whether they're going to be able to get to work and, once there, whether there's any possibility of their getting back home before 10pm or whether they'll be kicked off at Crawley.

Local businesses are also shutting down - even the lovely pub in the station because they aren't getting the footfall of passengers. It's very sad.

A 7 minute journey on the train can take an hour when their are multiple cancellations and issues with drivers. Travelling on strike day is often better than a usual day at the moment
Original post by Paracosm
They're actually really lovely people, not too hipster-y although I have my suspicions about one or two members of the CT... :hmmm:

I'm genuinely curious about which CT members you suspect to be hipsters :wink:
Original post by Amusing Elk

:flute:

I was mostly kidding :tongue:
Reply 31
Original post by Amusing Elk

I spy at least one!

Queen Ceresi :cry:
Original post by jneill
I spy at least one!

That must be quite an old pic, I'm not even in it :cry::cry:
Reply 34
Original post by discobish
That must be quite an old pic, I'm not even in it :cry::cry:

It's via Glassdoor.
Even if ASLEF members accept the deal on offer, the RMT have not, and so there is still the possibility that they may continue strike action.

Unions are protected from a couple of torts of law which basically means that firms can't sack employees for striking without risking unfair dismissal claims. Further, London is not the best place to do that kind of thing in terms of PR ('progressives' and other such nonsense types).

That said, i do think strikers deserve the sack even if i consider Southern to be weak and incompetent.
The sooner automated trains are installed the better. It bugs me the way train drivers think they're something special, one I met recently actually compared himself to a commercial pilot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending