The Student Room Group

Absorption in infrared spec help ?

Hi for this question, it asks to identify E and F. I understand that E is propan-2-ol and F is a propanone. But there is a small absorption at the 3000cm^-1. I know that F is definitely a ketone but how can you justify the small absorption at 3000-3500cm^-1?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
My guess is that it's the C-H single bonds.
Reply 2
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
My guess is that it's the C-H single bonds.

your guess = correct

w00t
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
your guess = correct

w00t

There are two absorptions though, are they both from the C-H bond? Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by coconut64
There are two absorptions though, are they both from the C-H bond? Thanks

There's more than 2. Basically everything in that region is from X-H bonds, and you get a lot of peaks from vibrations associated with C-H bonds in organic molecules. That spectrum is very typical in the region around 3000 wavenumbers.
Reply 5
Original post by alow
There's more than 2. Basically everything in that region is from X-H bonds, and you get a lot of peaks from vibrations associated with C-H bonds in organic molecules. That spectrum is very typical in the region around 3000 wavenumbers.

So carboxylic acid absorption is always much lower and broader and more distinguishable than these kind of absorption ? How do you not mistake this absorpotion with the cooh or O-H absorption?

Thanks
So carboxylic acid absorption is always much lower and broader and more distinguishable than these kind of absorption ? How do you not mistake this absorpotion with the cooh or O-H absorption?

Thanks

O-H is good at hydrogen bonding and is a very polar bond, these two factors lead to 2 common features of COOH and OH absorbtion bands:

1) they are broad- due to hydrogen bonding

2) they absorb very strongly -because they are polar (you don't need to worry about the reasons behind this
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by MexicanKeith
O-H is good at hydrogen bonding and is a very polar bond, these two factors lead to 2 common features of COOH and OH absorbtion bands:

1) they are broad- due to hydrogen bonding

2) they absorb very strongly -because they are polar (you need to worry about the reasons behind this

Thanks
Thanks

Sorry, it was meant to say you don't need to worry about the reasons for OH absorbing strongly, ive corrected my previous post now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest