The Student Room Group

Parents won't let me pick mixed sex accommodation for uni.

Right so I'm off to university about 2 hours away from my hometown and it's really irritated my parents because they wanted me to stay at home and commute. However, I applied without them knowing and by the time they found out, I had already firmed and insured my two choices so they couldn't actually do anything. I have an applicant day next month and my mum's coming along and yesterday we were having an argument about the type of accommodation I'm going to pick. I actually want to pick mixed sex accommodation, because I've heard from talking to students on open days that single sex accommodation can be incredibly catty (especially if you live in all girls accommodation). When I asked my mum why she wanted me to go for single sex accommodation, she told me that she wanted me to preserve my modesty and that men were sexually depraved beasts etc. She's also mentioned to me that at university she'll be "supervising" me and making sure I don't drink alcohol or whatever. When I told her it was none of her business what I got up to at uni and it was my life she basically went nuts and said she was my mother and so had the right to know.

I want to pick mixed accommodation at university because I genuinely think it'll be more fun but my parents seem to be ruining everything. I wanted to escape to uni so I had more freedom to do stuff but they seem to want to interfere in even that. What do I do? I can apply from accommodation from next month.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Right so I'm off to university about 2 hours away from my hometown and it's really irritated my parents because they wanted me to stay at home and commute. However, I applied without them knowing and by the time they found out, I had already firmed and insured my two choices so they couldn't actually do anything. I have an applicant day next month and my mum's coming along and yesterday we were having an argument about the type of accommodation I'm going to pick. I actually want to pick mixed sex accommodation, because I've heard from talking to students on open days that single sex accommodation can be incredibly catty (especially if you live in all girls accommodation). When I asked my mum why she wanted me to go for single sex accommodation, she told me that she wanted me to preserve my modesty and that men were sexually depraved beasts etc. She's also mentioned to me that at university she'll be "supervising" me and making sure I don't drink alcohol or whatever. When I told her it was none of her business what I got up to at uni and it was my life she basically went nuts and said she was my mother and so had the right to know.

I want to pick mixed accommodation at university because I genuinely think it'll be more fun but my parents seem to be ruining everything. I wanted to escape to uni so I had more freedom to do stuff but they seem to want to interfere in even that. What do I do? I can apply from accommodation from next month.

Just do it- She has no right to dictate what accommodation you go for.

i didn't even know there was an option of single sex halls- You'd think university student being adults would be able to deal with different genders. What happens when you have to work with a sexually deprived beast? :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by citibankrec
Just do it- She has no right to dictate what accommodation you go for.

i didn't even know there was an option of single sex halls- You'd think university student being adults would be able to deal with different genders. What happens when you have to work with a sexually deprived beast? :wink::tongue:

At my uni majority of the halls are mixed but they have said they can make provisions if you want to be in single sex accommodation. I've heard horror stories of how you can be stuck with overly religious people and all that which I really don't want either.

No idea. My mum's nothing but deluded and backward it's sickening.
Reply 3
I'm not usually one to advocate lying to your parents, but perhaps apply for mixed accommodation and then say that you applied for single sex, didn't get placed in it, and you tried to argue with the uni but they wouldn't change it?

I hate the idea of helicopter parents, especially when it comes to university. I respect all religions and cultures, but it does sadden me when I read threads like this to see that parents have little faith and trust in their children :sad: I had a strict upbringing, but I'm trusted and respected.
You're the one who has to live there, not them. I'd just ignore them completely and apply for mixed sex accomodation anyway. And I'd be interested to know how she intends to "supervise" you when you are (or will be) a legal adult and you'll live 2 hours away.

Only bear in mind that if your parents are this irrational and sexist, they may be the type to not give you any financial support if you go against them. So you might need to think about finding a job when you're down there.
My god. :rolleyes:

It's your decision, not hers.

Plus, seriously, alledged 'cattiness' puts you off sharing with girls. My god.
Reply 6
Original post by Airmed
I'm not usually one to advocate lying to your parents, but perhaps apply for mixed accommodation and then say that you applied for single sex, didn't get placed in it, and you tried to argue with the uni but they wouldn't change it?

I hate the idea of helicopter parents, especially when it comes to university. I respect all religions and cultures, but it does sadden me when I read threads like this to see that parents have little faith and trust in their children :sad: I had a strict upbringing, but I'm trusted and respected.

My mum would want to see evidence that that was the case. I've decided I'm going to apply for mixed anyway but I'm worried about her reaction.

Yup they have no faith in me at all even though I turn 19 soon. I have to be so sneaky about everything. When they found out I was moving out they told me I would have nothing but my student loan to rely on.

My brother's moving to Surrey for uni. My mum's going to give him a £3k allowance per year.

Original post by RF_PineMarten
You're the one who has to live there, not them. I'd just ignore them completely and apply for mixed sex accomodation anyway. And I'd be interested to know how she intends to "supervise" you when you are (or will be) a legal adult and you'll live 2 hours away.

Only bear in mind that if your parents are this irrational and sexist, they may be the type to not give you any financial support if you go against them. So you might need to think about finding a job when you're down there.

She said that it was none of her business how she was going to keep an eye on me. I'm actually going to press stalking charges against her if she follows me to uni because I can't stand her at all.

They told me they wouldn't help me out at university. So hopefully I'll move out to live with a family friend before exams and get a part time job. I was offered babysitting at a pretty good rate but she told me to turn it down.
Reply 7
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994

Honestly I prefer being mates with guys than girls. But she clearly thinks I'm weird.

Original post by JohnGreek
I have to admit that I'm male, and, as a result, a sex depraved beast. Your mum is right, you wouldn't want to share a hall with me. Listen to your parents and commute from home.

Yes you are. I need to make sure I sleep with my eyes wide open don't I!
Original post by JohnGreek
I have to admit that I'm male, and, as a result, a sex depraved beast. Your mum is right, you wouldn't want to share a hall with me. Listen to your parents and commute from home.

Honest :rofl:
She has no right to control you.
Pick mixed sex accommodation, get drunk, have sex. Do whatever the **** you want.
I'm so glad my family are open minded and trust me, can't stand parents like this
Original post by A-LJLB
She has no right to control you.
Pick mixed sex accommodation, get drunk, have sex. Do whatever the **** you want.
I'm so glad my family are open minded and trust me, can't stand parents like this

Neither can I. I wish I had family like yours. She sat me down and gave me a long lecture about stuff I can't and can do at university I was just thinking how I'm not going to ever listen to her.

I got told having a mother like her would lead me to go nuts at university and I defo think that'll happen.
Reply 11
My mum would want to see evidence that that was the case. I've decided I'm going to apply for mixed anyway but I'm worried about her reaction.

Yup they have no faith in me at all even though I turn 19 soon. I have to be so sneaky about everything. When they found out I was moving out they told me I would have nothing but my student loan to rely on.

My brother's moving to Surrey for uni. My mum's going to give him a £3k allowance per year.

Stand your ground :hugs: I really hope uni is a wonderful turning point for you, especially since your mother is being rather hypocritical if she'll support your brother but not you, culture, religion, background or not.
Reply 12
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994

Hey, us girls are *****y little shits. :lol:
Original post by Airmed
Stand your ground :hugs: I really hope uni is a wonderful turning point for you, especially since your mother is being rather hypocritical if she'll support your brother but not you, culture, religion, background or not.

Thank you :smile: She's standing with my brother because he's basically a mummy's boy. He spends an unhealthy amount of time with her whereas I prefer being alone and doing things alone.
Anon, may I ask what culture/religion your mother is? I do not mean to pry or to seem racist but there might be ingrained values coming in to play here. What is your father/brothers opinions here? Maybe it might be an idea to get a teacher at school or a supportive family member involved? My mother is also extremely over protective but if you do want to have a long term relationship with her, then just blatantly going against her will isn't the option. Try to calmly sit her down and discuss her worries rationally. If you get angry and emotional its not going to solve anything. Maybe bring up the issue of the unfairness between her treatment of you and your brother.
Neither can I. I wish I had family like yours. She sat me down and gave me a long lecture about stuff I can't and can do at university I was just thinking how I'm not going to ever listen to her.

I got told having a mother like her would lead me to go nuts at university and I defo think that'll happen.

You're an adult. Yes she is your mother, but you're old enough to make your own decisions now, and she should trust you to look after yourself.
Don't let her get you down, it is your life and not hers :h:
Reply 16
Thank you :smile: She's standing with my brother because he's basically a mummy's boy. He spends an unhealthy amount of time with her whereas I prefer being alone and doing things alone.

Then she definitely is the one being unfair, since she should love both her children equally, regardless if one spends less time with her and isn't clingy.
She sounds like a lovely lady. What you think of as silly, and perhaps is overprotective, is only an expression of concern.

Plainly it's a wrench for them that you're moving away. Why compound their worrying?
Original post by greenfeather
Anon, may I ask what culture/religion your mother is? I do not mean to pry or to seem racist but there might be ingrained values coming in to play here. What is your father/brothers opinions here? Maybe it might be an idea to get a teacher at school or a supportive family member involved? My mother is also extremely over protective but if you do want to have a long term relationship with her, then just blatantly going against her will isn't the option. Try to calmly sit her down and discuss her worries rationally. If you get angry and emotional its not going to solve anything. Maybe bring up the issue of the unfairness between her treatment of you and your brother.

We're strict Indian Hindus. I'm atheist and have always been more "Westernised" out of my siblings and my mum always complains about it. My dad's fine with me going to uni but he says he'd rather I went for single sex accommo. My brother doesn't really get involved but he'll suck up to our mum. I don't want a long term relationship with her at all.

Original post by A-LJLB
You're an adult. Yes she is your mother, but you're old enough to make your own decisions now, and she should trust you to look after yourself.
Don't let her get you down, it is your life and not hers :h:

She says she doesn't trust me because I hide things from her i.e. Not telling her when I applied to uni etc.

Original post by Airmed
Then she definitely is the one being unfair, since she should love both her children equally, regardless if one spends less time with her and isn't clingy.

She's not a fair mother though. What should I do if she turns violent? She's done that in the past.
Original post by cambio wechsel
She sounds like a lovely lady. What you think of as silly, and perhaps is overprotective, is only an expression of concern.

Plainly it's a wrench for them that you're moving away. Why compound their worrying?

How is "preserving my modesty" a concern? It's none of her business on what I do with my modesty or my virginity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending