The Student Room Group

Potential Harrow Students

Hi, I'm halfway through the Harrow application process. I'm going for a scholarship and noticed there isn't a discussion dedicated to Harrovians. Everyone is welcome, I just want to make some friends so I don't feel alienated when I arrive at the school as I've come from a state school background. Existing and potential students comment if you want.
Original post by BoardingBoy_236
Hi, I'm halfway through the Harrow application process. I'm going for a scholarship and noticed there isn't a discussion dedicated to Harrovians. Everyone is welcome, I just want to make some friends so I don't feel alienated when I arrive at the school as I've come from a state school background. Existing and potential students comment if you want.

I'm at Harrow currently but I'll be gone before you get here.
Oh cool, if you don't mind me asking, what's life like there?
Oh cool, if you don't mind me asking, what's life like there?

Life is pretty hectic in the sixth form- your at a bit of a disadvantage because you don't really know anyone in your year and they all know each other and have friend groups so as long as you try and get to know people, you should be fine on that front. There are loads of lectures and societies that you can see/be a part of, its just about taking the opportunities when they arise- when you join in the sixth form at Harrow, there is a huge pressure/expectation to get into Oxbridge (unless your here for sports) so try and take it on the chin and use it as a bit of extra motivation. I'm not sure on advice subject-wise because of the new A-levels but be prepared to work harder than ever before!

But good luck anyway, competition for sixth form entry is always tough- so if you've got through that, Harrow should be a breeze!
Sorry for the late reply, what house are you in? I'm given a choice to choose and I'm not sure which is best.
Sorry for the late reply, what house are you in? I'm given a choice to choose and I'm not sure which is best.

I'm in Elmfield, what options do you have?
Im choosing between Elmfield, The Head Master's, West Acre or Lyon's
Im choosing between Elmfield, The Head Master's, West Acre or Lyon's

What ethnicity are you out of curiosity, have you been to visit any of the houses- I don't really want to be biased and say Elmfield, especially as the current housemaster is leaving and a new one is coming in in September and I've never spoken to the guy!
I'm white African (Moroccan more specifically) and yes, in 2015 I went to an open morning and visited Head Master's. Hmmm, I guess I'll drop Elmfield then!
I'm white African (Moroccan more specifically) and yes, in 2015 I went to an open morning and visited Head Master's. Hmmm, I guess I'll drop Elmfield then!

Well you don't need to drop Elmfield since I can't really say what the house will be like as I don't really know the new housemaster. As you are probably quite academic, I think maybe Elmfield, West Acre or Lyons would be your best options (Your year in Elmfield and West Acre are relatively smart and get in virtually no trouble compared to your year in other houses) and Lyon's is pretty new and extremely modern, although the people in your year in Lyon's aren't the most hard-working/care about academics at all kind of people according to what I've been told.
This is really helpful, thank you. I'm lenient towards West Acre for some reason. How good are you science facilities? I'm hoping to do Chemistry and Biology in A-Level's and as such want to go to a school with the best resources.
This is really helpful, thank you. I'm lenient towards West Acre for some reason. How good are you science facilities? I'm hoping to do Chemistry and Biology in A-Level's and as such want to go to a school with the best resources.

Then choose West Acre! The only problem is how far away they are from everything but it's good exercise and you'll get used to it anyway. Our science facilities are exceptionally good, I don't do Biology but for Chemistry and Physics, we can do virtually any practical you could possibly need to do for A-Levels- I was using radioactive materials just the other day, which I'm sure is not available in many other schools!
Wow, that's impressive! I guess I can only sit and wait until i hear the confirmation of my place.
Wow, that's impressive! I guess I can only sit and wait until i hear the confirmation of my place.

Yeah but good luck either way- Harrow will be amazing for you if you make the most of the endless opportunities (lectures, sports, music, drama) but make sure to fit in time for work because you are going to be drowning in prep!

hey, are you in harrow school now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending