The Student Room Group

Why dont guys like me?

I'm in year 13 and I've never had a boyfriend. I had a crush on a guy last year although I had never actually spoken to him before. One day out of the blue he messaged me and asked me out, but in the end nothing ever came out of it as when I actually spoke to him he was completely different to what I had expected and I didn't like him anymore. This is the only time a guy has ever had a crush on me before.

I am very shy however I do engage in conversation if someone else initiates it. I take quite a while to warm up to people and am very awkward at first but once I get comfortable with people I'm much better. I have been told I'm very pretty by others but I'm extremely insecure due to experiences in my past so I'm not really sure?

There are a few guys who have caught my eye around school and I have tried to talk to some however I feel like nobody ever wants to talk to me. I don't have many friends at all either (girls or guys).

There's a guy I have a crush on at the moment, I spoke to him a couple times but only in a group project at school and for a while I thought he liked me back because he often stared and made eye contact, but I was so nervous about it that I never showed him any signs back and now I think he's moved on :frown:

Any advice please??
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in year 13 and I've never had a boyfriend. I had a crush on a guy last year although I had never actually spoken to him before. One day out of the blue he messaged me and asked me out, but in the end nothing ever came out of it as when I actually spoke to him he was completely different to what I had expected and I didn't like him anymore. This is the only time a guy has ever had a crush on me before.

I am very shy however I do engage in conversation if someone else initiates it. I take quite a while to warm up to people and am very awkward at first but once I get comfortable with people I'm much better. I have been told I'm very pretty by others but I'm extremely insecure due to experiences in my past so I'm not really sure?

There are a few guys who have caught my eye around school and I have tried to talk to some however I feel like nobody ever wants to talk to me. I don't have many friends at all either (girls or guys).

There's a guy I have a crush on at the moment, I spoke to him a couple times but only in a group project at school and for a while I thought he liked me back because he often stared and made eye contact, but I was so nervous about it that I never showed him any signs back and now I think he's moved on :frown:

Any advice please??

Ok..... I just wrote a loooong response thinking you were 13!! Now I see that you are in year 13!
You are in a transitional year and honestly as it is February your life is going to be changing a lot over the next few months. I am really sorry that you feel you don't have any friends or that guys are never interested in you. Will you be going to uni next year? If the answer is yes then I'd skip right past the guys in your school and start working on building some self confidence and working on your shyness. When you head off to uni you will have a whole different experience. I know your question is about now but I do hope you'll be going off to uni because so much can potentially change. If you're going off to uni live in the on campus housing!! You'll meet loads of people! Now, however, is a good time to try to work on the shyness. You may not be shy if people talk to you but you can't put your social experiences in the hands of others. Everyone is trying to look out for themselves - they probably aren't intensionally leaving you out but you're going to have to step outside your comfort zone and initiate some social outings. For the rest of this year I'd suggest that you concentrate on making the best scores possible on those A-levels and get into a good uni. and also work on taking the initiative just to get comfortable talking to others even if you're feeling shy. You will find that a LOT of girls will not have had boyfriends when you get to uni and that will be a great time to get to know new people and new guys! There is a lot of positive in your future - just give it some time!
Reply 2
Original post by Hopefully1
Ok..... I just wrote a loooong response thinking you were 13!! Now I see that you are in year 13!
You are in a transitional year and honestly as it is February your life is going to be changing a lot over the next few months. I am really sorry that you feel you don't have any friends or that guys are never interested in you. Will you be going to uni next year? If the answer is yes then I'd skip right past the guys in your school and start working on building some self confidence and working on your shyness. When you head off to uni you will have a whole different experience. I know your question is about now but I do hope you'll be going off to uni because so much can potentially change. If you're going off to uni live in the on campus housing!! You'll meet loads of people! Now, however, is a good time to try to work on the shyness. You may not be shy if people talk to you but you can't put your social experiences in the hands of others. Everyone is trying to look out for themselves - they probably aren't intensionally leaving you out but you're going to have to step outside your comfort zone and initiate some social outings. For the rest of this year I'd suggest that you concentrate on making the best scores possible on those A-levels and get into a good uni. and also work on taking the initiative just to get comfortable talking to others even if you're feeling shy. You will find that a LOT of girls will not have had boyfriends when you get to uni and that will be a great time to get to know new people and new guys! There is a lot of positive in your future - just give it some time!

Thank you so much this advice helped me a lot! Yes I will hopefully be going to uni this year however I might also take a gap year as I'm still waiting to hear from my first choice. I think you're right that right now I should just focus on building my confidence so that when I actually do start uni the same thing won't happen again and I won't get left out. My confidence has definitely improved a lot throughout sixth form but I'm still not quite there yet. I'm still gonna miss this guy that I've had a crush on throughout sixth form lol but I guess it's too late now. Thanks again for your advice :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by k_popper
Maybe you're pretty or cool and people are intimidated to approach you. I've had friends who were pretty and lots of people had crush on her but no one ever tried it on with her because they thought they'd be turned down. Anyways, don't worry too much. You've still got plenty of time for this. Just keep being open to people and maybe one day someone will muster up the courage to ask you out.

I'm definitely not cool LOL but yeah I guess I'll just wait for the right person to come along
Reply 4
I didn't get my first serious boyfriend until I went to university. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with not dating while at school.
Me and you both! I am currently in Year 13 but Male. Never had a Girlfriend but have had a few crushes in my time, more of the same for myself as nothing has ever materialized. I have faith that one day the right girl will be there for me.

I am certain you will find someone for you, just wait for the right time. Everything will work out! :smile:

Just make sure you never lose faith as there is someone for everyone.
Reply 6
Original post by Greedoshotfirst
Me and you both! I am currently in Year 13 but Male. Never had a Girlfriend but have had a few crushes in my time, more of the same for myself as nothing has ever materialized. I have faith that one day the right girl will be there for me.

I am certain you will find someone for you, just wait for the right time. Everything will work out! :smile:

Just make sure you never lose faith as there is someone for everyone.

Thank you so much for this comment! I wish you the best of luck also :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm definitely not cool LOL but yeah I guess I'll just wait for the right person to come along

that's what the cool kids say :wink2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending