The Student Room Group

Languages Curriculums?

I'm taking two languages for GCSE, Spanish and Norwegian. I've been doing Spanish since Year 7 and I started Norwegian a few months ago and enjoyed it immensely so I decided to pick it for GCSE. However I'm incredibly baffled on what I have to learn for Norwegian GCSE, because although my school offers to option for any student to take any language as a GCSE they haven't told me exactly what I'll have to be able to say and write in the actual test. I've looked online and can't find anything.. I'm hoping someone can tell me what topics you generally have to cover in a languages GCSE!
Original post by kesterstate
I'm taking two languages for GCSE, Spanish and Norwegian. I've been doing Spanish since Year 7 and I started Norwegian a few months ago and enjoyed it immensely so I decided to pick it for GCSE. However I'm incredibly baffled on what I have to learn for Norwegian GCSE, because although my school offers to option for any student to take any language as a GCSE they haven't told me exactly what I'll have to be able to say and write in the actual test. I've looked online and can't find anything.. I'm hoping someone can tell me what topics you generally have to cover in a languages GCSE!

Are you sure you're going a GCSE in Norwegian? I didn't think any exam boards offered that language. Can you give more details about the course?
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Are you sure you're going a GCSE in Norwegian? I didn't think any exam boards offered that language. Can you give more details about the course?

Huh? My schools' options form (which I received on Tuesday) has the option to pick any language as another GCSE, provided you have a proficiency in it. It's meant to be a language you speak at home, but my Spanish teacher said it'd be alright if I picked it. So you can't take it (Norwegian) as a lesson at school but they will give you a GCSE paper and oral test in it? Agreeably I'm not the most educated on the subject, but I'm going to put it down, because other students are choosing things like Farsi or Polish or Urdu.

Edit; I think you may be right.. I've looked around and I can't even find a GCSE Norwegian textbook let alone an exam board. I'm still going to put it down on my options, and if my school can't provide for it, then I'll have to look elsewhere.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest