The Student Room Group

Most important questions to ask in an interview?

A lot of us will be at the point of applying for jobs, and going through interviews and assessment centres. I'm sure most focus will be on how you're going to answer the questions they ask, but it's also important to have something prepared to ask them in return!

As an example, I usually ask one of the following:
- 'What's the most challenging experience you've had working here?'
- 'If I were to get the role, what would you suggest doing to prepare before joining the team?'

So what would you say is the most important thing to ask in an interview? :work:

Your Suggestions

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shadowdweller
A lot of us will be at the point of applying for jobs, and going through interviews and assessment centres. I'm sure most focus will be on how you're going to answer the questions they ask, but it's also important to have something prepared to ask them in return!

As an example, I usually ask one of the following:
- 'What's the most challenging experience you've had working here?'
- 'If I were to get the role, what would you suggest doing to prepare before joining the team?'

So what would you say is the most important thing to ask in an interview? :work:

* Why is this position available?

* How long does someone typically stay in this job?

* If anyone has failed in this job, why did they fail?

* What are your future plans for this role?

* How do people grow in this job?

* What aspirations do you have for me at the company?

* Do you have any doubts about my skills and abilities to perform the job role?

* How many people would you be interviewing and when do you plan to make a decision?

But not necessarily in the above order though.
Reply 2
What is your least favorite thing about working here?
I can suggest some questions not to ask at the 'any questions stage - anything about pay, holiday, benefits, parking, gym memberships and the like. Anything that could be obtained from a graduate recruitment pack fairly easily.
Enthusiasm and interest is particularly key. I would tend to ask about career progression.
Original post by Reality Check
I can suggest some questions not to ask at the 'any questions stage - anything about pay, holiday, benefits, parking, gym memberships and the like. Anything that could be obtained from a graduate recruitment pack fairly easily.

Agree with you about pay question because it seems too obvious why the person applied for the job, unless the interviewer asks how much they are willing to negotiate.

In general all the questions above does not tell the interviewer what the applicant can do for the company because that's what employers are looking for, not what favours they can give for the applicant for doing the job.

That is not how getting the job works in reality.
Original post by Boreism
* Why is this position available?

* How long does someone typically stay in this job?

* If anyone has failed in this job, why did they fail?

* What are your future plans for this role?

* How do people grow in this job?

* What aspirations do you have for me at the company?

* Do you have any doubts about my skills and abilities to perform the job role?

* How many people would you be interviewing and when do you plan to make a decision?

But not necessarily in the above order though.

Original post by tricci
What is your least favorite thing about working here?

Original post by Reality Check

Original post by JaredzzC
Enthusiasm and interest is particularly key. I would tend to ask about career progression.

Thanks for all of these, folks! I'm going to put together a list in the OP of what you've all come up with :teeth:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending