The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Psychology first year students

Are you enjoying studying psychology at MMU and would you recommend it? What are the lecturers like?
Reply 1
Original post by kasia.g
Are you enjoying studying psychology at MMU and would you recommend it? What are the lecturers like?

I'm a 3rd year psych student here - once I'm back from my lectures, I'll give you a proper response about this :smile:
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Deyesy
I'm a 3rd year psych student here - once I'm back from my lectures, I'll give you a proper response about this :smile:

thank you so much!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kasia.g
thank you so much!! :smile:

Hey, sorry I never got back to you! Is there anything specific about 1st year psychology? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Deyesy
Hey, sorry I never got back to you! Is there anything specific about 1st year psychology? :smile:

It's okay!! :smile: I have lots of questions but some of them are:
Do you enjoy it and what are the lectures/lecturers like? What's the workload like compared to A-Levels and I know it's split between coursework and exams but is there a final exam on everything at the end of the year or are there just a couple exams throughout the year? I hope this makes sense and im sorry if thats a lot of questions!! Thank you so much:smile: X
Yeah, same question here! What is it all like there?
Reply 6
Original post by kasia.g
It's okay!! :smile: I have lots of questions but some of them are:
Do you enjoy it and what are the lectures/lecturers like? What's the workload like compared to A-Levels and I know it's split between coursework and exams but is there a final exam on everything at the end of the year or are there just a couple exams throughout the year? I hope this makes sense and im sorry if thats a lot of questions!! Thank you so much:smile: X

Original post by Hasan_ali
Yeah, same question here! What is it all like there?

I've absolutely loved my time here - I'm incredibly sad to be graduating this summer. I wish I could do it all over again if I'm honest.

The lectures in 1st year tend to be delivered as one big group - there's around 250-300 people on the psychology course - iirc :tongue: You'll have 2 hours of lectures followed by a one hour seminar (these are classroom sized sessions) which are much more focused on discussions.

Workload in 1st year and 2nd year is more than manageable - you'll generally have no more than two deadlines at the same time; 3rd year it goes a little bit more stressful but that's because it's 3rd year :tongue: You'll do 4 units in each year; in 1st year, there's a split between coursework and exams.

In my 1st year (this might have changed now) there were 3 written exams and an Multiple Choice Test (MCTs) in May, with a couple of MCTs throughout the year. I never found 1st year too stressful at all and always felt I could manage to keep on top of things. The staff are incredibly supportive and nothing is ever too much for them if you've got anything on in your personal life getting in the way of your studies.

Apologies for the delay too but I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Deyesy
I've absolutely loved my time here - I'm incredibly sad to be graduating this summer. I wish I could do it all over again if I'm honest.

The lectures in 1st year tend to be delivered as one big group - there's around 250-300 people on the psychology course - iirc :tongue: You'll have 2 hours of lectures followed by a one hour seminar (these are classroom sized sessions) which are much more focused on discussions.

Workload in 1st year and 2nd year is more than manageable - you'll generally have no more than two deadlines at the same time; 3rd year it goes a little bit more stressful but that's because it's 3rd year :tongue: You'll do 4 units in each year; in 1st year, there's a split between coursework and exams.

In my 1st year (this might have changed now) there were 3 written exams and an Multiple Choice Test (MCTs) in May, with a couple of MCTs throughout the year. I never found 1st year too stressful at all and always felt I could manage to keep on top of things. The staff are incredibly supportive and nothing is ever too much for them if you've got anything on in your personal life getting in the way of your studies.

Apologies for the delay too but I hope this helps :smile:

Awh yeah buddy! Congratulations on graduating. It does sound like you did enjoy your time there.

Are the lectures much? Like are they somewhat okay and can you keep up with them when taking notes? I don't wanna be making notes and then have the lecturer turn slides (I'd cry). Are seminars all okay? I heard that you gotta do reading before it, is this true or ney?

Are exams alright? I guess there is a bunch of writing in the exams and stuff. Oh! and people say that A-Levels are much harder than degrees, are they right in terms of a Psych degree? *breathes*

I am so sorry for the bombardment of questions, I just wanna know what MMU is like and if it will be alright.
Reply 8
Awh yeah buddy! Congratulations on graduating. It does sound like you did enjoy your time there.

Are the lectures much? Like are they somewhat okay and can you keep up with them when taking notes? I don't wanna be making notes and then have the lecturer turn slides (I'd cry). Are seminars all okay? I heard that you gotta do reading before it, is this true or ney?

Are exams alright? I guess there is a bunch of writing in the exams and stuff. Oh! and people say that A-Levels are much harder than degrees, are they right in terms of a Psych degree? *breathes*

I am so sorry for the bombardment of questions, I just wanna know what MMU is like and if it will be alright.

I've always had no issue with keeping up lectures - and if there's anything you've missed, the powerpoint slides are always put up on our Virtual Learning Environment called Moodle :smile: Some lecturers will set some reading before seminars but it's way, way in advance so you have time to prepare but it's not a necessity?

First year especially isn't overly difficult content wise - you'll cover somethings which you might not have ever covered before like the brain etc but there's also alot of A Level stuff? Especially with social psychology and cognitive psychology parts of the coursework. They want to get everyone up to the same level in 1st year because there'll be alot of people who've never studied psychology before. The exams are fine too ^^ Like there's obviously a fair amount of content to learn but my exams in 1st year were split around a week part each, so there was plenty of time to focus?

You also get given your May exam timetable in January so again, lots of time to get prepared and organised! Anddd, there's no proper January exams :smile:

Hope this helps!
Original post by Deyesy
I've always had no issue with keeping up lectures - and if there's anything you've missed, the powerpoint slides are always put up on our Virtual Learning Environment called Moodle :smile: Some lecturers will set some reading before seminars but it's way, way in advance so you have time to prepare but it's not a necessity?

First year especially isn't overly difficult content wise - you'll cover somethings which you might not have ever covered before like the brain etc but there's also alot of A Level stuff? Especially with social psychology and cognitive psychology parts of the coursework. They want to get everyone up to the same level in 1st year because there'll be alot of people who've never studied psychology before. The exams are fine too ^^ Like there's obviously a fair amount of content to learn but my exams in 1st year were split around a week part each, so there was plenty of time to focus?

You also get given your May exam timetable in January so again, lots of time to get prepared and organised! Anddd, there's no proper January exams :smile:

Hope this helps!

OOOOOOO it all sounds so good. I kinda can't wait to get to uni. Sounds like it'll be way more enjoyable than A-Levels.
Reply 10
OOOOOOO it all sounds so good. I kinda can't wait to get to uni. Sounds like it'll be way more enjoyable than A-Levels.

It's so, so much more enjoyable than A Levels and it's very, very different - in a good way :tongue: It's very cliché but uni is an incredible experience and it'll be over before you know it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending