The Student Room Group

Kings College London- Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MeDMeD251
I know you guys can't speak about your interviews but I was wondering if any of the stations were like role play? (i don't want any details, just want to know whether there's a point practising telling someone their cat died )

I dont think we can tell you what stations came up or didn't
Original post by MeDMeD251
I know you guys can't speak about your interviews but I was wondering if any of the stations were like role play? (i don't want any details, just want to know whether there's a point practising telling someone their cat died )

How can you acknowledge that they can't say anything about the interview, and then proceed to ask them about the interview? Madness.
Original post by plutojupitermars
Is that what they need to ask everyone or just offer holders? Also, didn't you provide a reference with ucas application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing my case is a little different because I provided a clinical reference from my work place. But since I graduated less than 2 years ago I suppose they'd have to follow their policy and have an academic reference instead before going further with the application. So I don't know whether it's because it's standard procedure or because they're considering an interview
Original post by AmaduM
I'm guessing my case is a little different because I provided a clinical reference from my work place. But since I graduated less than 2 years ago I suppose they'd have to follow their policy and have an academic reference instead before going further with the application. So I don't know whether it's because it's standard procedure or because they're considering an interview

I had the same thing as you because I provided a letter from my PI. I sent it off and got an interview for the A102 a few days later.
Original post by RJG123
How can you acknowledge that they can't say anything about the interview, and then proceed to ask them about the interview? Madness.

You people are fascinating... I don't think you would violate anything if you just told him if he should practice role playing or not.
It isn't like you're giving him some vital information that would give him an edge over you...
Original post by hanacigoj
You people are fascinating... I don't think you would violate anything if you just told him if he should practice role playing or not.
It isn't like you're giving him some vital information that would give him an edge over you...

I think it does violate the non-disclosure forms that we signed before the interview. And knowing even a little bit about a station is a massive advantage.

If you think that I'm saying it because they'd be disadvantaged by other people knowing more then you're wrong (even though it's true that it's unfair for some to know more than others... defeats the point of the interview really). It's because those that were interviewed literally signed a form that said you would lose your space if you talked about the interview online or anywhere. So for someone to acknowledge that they can't talk about it, and then ask anyway, is at best stupid and at worst just rude.
I think it does violate the non-disclosure forms that we signed before the interview. And knowing even a little bit about a station is a massive advantage.

Totally agree - if I knew anything about the stations I had, I would have definitely done better on some of them.
I'm in my last yr of my undergrad and Kings just asked me for my uni transcripts! Not sure if this means I am in contention for an interview! I certainly hope so!

It puts everyone in quite an uncomfortable position. Not only did we sign non disclosure forms but it is useful information to know what comes up in the interview. If someone had told me for example that "they don't ask you about x" that meant I could know what to focus on and spend more time on those other areas so it is an advantage. I don't think it's particularly fair to have a go at people who have had the interview for trying to respect the non disclosure as much as possible. I know how pedantic it all sounds but this is obv a big deal to everyone. I actually think everyone is quite supportive and helpful when it comes to interviews on here, I for one hope everyone who has an interview does the best they can and wish everyone the best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's stupid to think of this as an advantage because you can literally ask a question directly or as a role play, so no one would benefit from this knowledge. And I'm aware that you sign a non-disclosure agreement, but this information is so harmless that I think even the admissions would give away if I asked them.
It's not like you say they asked me about *this topic*. You are not giving away content, you are simply discussing the style of the question. And, again, it gives no advantage as the same question can be presented both ways. So I think you all are overreacting and, if this info is really helpful to someone, you should give it because you won't be harmed by it.
Just to clarify,
We were asked to not disclose the content of the interview which also includes the process. No information about the interview can be disclosed. If you have any queries it's best to contact the admissions team as they will be able to advise you 😄
It's stupid to think of this as an advantage because you can literally ask a question directly or as a role play, so no one would benefit from this knowledge. And I'm aware that you sign a non-disclosure agreement, but this information is so harmless that I think even the admissions would give away if I asked them.
It's not like you say they asked me about *this topic*. You are not giving away content, you are simply discussing the style of the question. And, again, it gives no advantage as the same question can be presented both ways. So I think you all are overreacting and, if this info is really helpful to someone, you should give it because you won't be harmed by it.

Go and ask admissions, then.

It is true that they can ask the same question in both ways. But the way you answer them is very different and requires different practice. Not everyone is comfortable with roleplaying and knowing to practice it or not waste time on it would be a massive help.
And I don't know how serious you are about doing medicine but there are people who have applied multiple times and not gotten through just because of the insane competition. Helping someone out, is in my opinion, a stupid thing as you are decreasing your chances of success indirectly.
It is true that they can ask the same question in both ways. But the way you answer them is very different and requires different practice. Not everyone is comfortable with roleplaying and knowing to practice it or not waste time on it would be a massive help.
And I don't know how serious you are about doing medicine but there are people who have applied multiple times and not gotten through just because of the insane competition. Helping someone out, is in my opinion, a stupid thing as you are decreasing your chances of success indirectly.

It's a lonely life you will lead if you'll take everything as a competition. Just think that some day you may need something from a colleague and he won't help you out just so you don't have an edge over him. Instead, you could try being confident of your interview performance and stop feeling threatened by other candidates.
Any may I say it's not some "massive help", as there will probably be both types of questions and you simply stating that won't save anyone any time.
Original post by RJG123
Go and ask admissions, then.

Wasn't my question to begin with, and I was simply making a point.
You could tone down your attitude, though.
It's a lonely life you will lead if you'll take everything as a competition. Just think that some day you may need something from a colleague and he won't help you out just so you don't have an edge over him. Instead, you could try being confident of your interview performance and stop feeling threatened by other candidates.
Any may I say it's not some "massive help", as there will probably be both types of questions and you simply stating that won't save anyone any time.

Have confidence in your own ability to perform at interview without external help. We literally are competing for places, this isn't a workplace where we should have common goals; its completely understandable that people are unwilling to provide information, especially after signing an NDA.

There was no problem in him asking that I agree. I don't agree that we should be saying anything though. At the end of the day, we are all applicants trying to help each other out by establishing an equal playing field. Not everyone trolls the Student room for information so for the hundreds of applicants that are still waiting for an interview and have no idea what to expect, it's fair and completely justified in my view.

I don't think that taking one of the most competitive course I've ever applied to as competition is a bad idea.
It's stupid to think of this as an advantage because you can literally ask a question directly or as a role play, so no one would benefit from this knowledge. And I'm aware that you sign a non-disclosure agreement, but this information is so harmless that I think even the admissions would l away if I asked them.

That's entirely subjective though. There is no way we will know as applicants what information is deemed sensitive and what is okay to be disclosed to others. If the admissions tutors are happy to give away this information then just contact them. In the grand scheme of things the member we've talked to may not gain any advantages as you said but that contract we signed is binding and If they they find out (even if it's a tiny chance of happening), they are fully within their rights to take our offers away or inform UCAS. We can't just go assuming that it is okay to talk about the interview when it may not be. Overreaction? Maybe. But I see why people don't want to disclose this information.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending