The Student Room Group

Insurance Query - My Own Car

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IWMTom
My renewal quote was £800 on the same car with Admiral. I find it strange that they're looking to charge you 6,000.. have you had any claims at all?

That's not so bad.

Some companies quote around £2,500 and some are quoting £6000 plus or they're stating that I need to call the company as they can't provide an online quote for my situation... I'm not sure what that means.

I have been a learner driver since October doing 4 hours a week and I purchased my car in January with a learner driver policy to do some additional driving outside of my instructor hours.

I am looking to pass my test 1st time next Thursday to where I will purchase insurance on that day.

I have 0 years of no claims (obviously) and I haven't had to claim since driving on my provisional license.
Original post by Reece251
That's not so bad.

Some companies quote around £2,500 and some are quoting £6000 plus or they're stating that I need to call the company as they can't provide an online quote for my situation... I'm not sure what that means.

I have been a learner driver since October doing 4 hours a week and I purchased my car in January with a learner driver policy to do some additional driving outside of my instructor hours.

I am looking to pass my test 1st time next Thursday to where I will purchase insurance on that day.

I have 0 years of no claims (obviously) and I haven't had to claim since driving on my provisional license.

You said earlier that the car will be kept on the next street away from your home. It could also be because that particular model may have a higher than average rate of theft or is linked to a higher than average rste of accidents.

One broker also said "exceptional circumstances" so you need to find out what caused that statement.

Has the car been modified in any way? Was it subject to a previous insurance claim history? Are you asking for TPF&T or fully comprehensive? How much excess have yare you limited to?

The 6000 pound quotes do seem exceptionally high.

If you cannot reduce the premium on this model, think about buying a newer car of higher cost to bring the rates down - you should be looking at the total cost of ownership as package and not simply the insurance on it's own.

Also, do not be pressured to buying because you pass your test. Keep doing your searches even if it takes longer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
That's not so bad.

This is very strange indeed. Can I ask why the car will be kept away from the home at night?
Reply 23
Original post by uberteknik
You said earlier that the car will be kept on the next street away from your home. It could also be because that particular model may have a higher than average rate of theft or is linked to a higher than average rste of accidents.

One broker also said "exceptional circumstances" so you need to find out what caused that statement.

Has the car been modified in any way? Was it subject to a previous insurance claim history? Are you asking for TPF&T or fully comprehensive? How much excess have yare you limited to?

The 6000 pound quotes do seem exceptionally high.

If you cannot reduce the premium on this model, think about buying a newer car of higher cost to bring the rates down - you should be looking at the total cost of ownership as package and not simply the insurance on it's own.

Also, do not be pressured to buying because you pass your test. Keep doing your searches even if it takes longer.

Thank you for your response.

The car has not been modified and I would ideally like comprehensive cover although an insurance company said I should look for third party as my car is only worth £1000.

I'm not sure in terms of excess because my car is only worth £1000 and I could afford the £1000 excess but the quotes don't change much if it £300 or £1000.

It's strange that adding a family member who has over 20 years no claims or even my driving instruction doesn't bring the price down.

The car is in incredible condition and will run for a very long time from what I and its history tells me so I will more than likely just have to suck up the cost but I just wanted to see why all these factors aren't affecting the cost in any way.

It seemed to be easy enough getting the £70 a month learner insurance on it!
Reply 24
Original post by IWMTom
This is very strange indeed. Can I ask why the car will be kept away from the home at night?

Please see the attached screenshot.

My home is where the home marker is and the road on my address is leamington close. My car is parked on leamington road as there is nowhere to park on leamington close because this is a very narrow dead end street.

I thought that this would count as my car being parked on another street that is not on my home address. I was also told this might bring down my premium because a lot of thefts are caused by people going into a house the car is parked by to get the car keys.

Let me know what you think.
Reply 25
Please see the attached screenshot.

My home is where the home marker is and the road on my address is leamington close. My car is parked on leamington road as there is nowhere to park on leamington close because this is a very narrow dead end street.

I thought that this would count as my car being parked on another street that is not on my home address. I was also told this might bring down my premium because a lot of thefts are caused by people going into a house the car is parked by to get the car keys.

Let me know what you think.

I'd say that's parked at home. Parked away from home implies not within a short distance from your address.
Try adding a parent as a named driver, I have my mum as a named driver and me as the main driver and it reduced my premium
Reply 27
Original post by PhilipG1
Try adding a parent as a named driver, I have my mum as a named driver and me as the main driver and it reduced my premium

I have also done this but the price goes up despite my parents each having 20 years plus no claims bonus and no convictions or anything!

Whats made the situation worse is that I now have business mileage to add because of my new job role which has taken the quote to £3,000
Reply 28
My new quote is the cheapest I can find and is at the following rate:

Initial deposit of £438.89 and then 10 monthly payments of £196.64.

This is a very good price considering all of my other quotes and ive also had to state my mileage will be 10,000 miles including business mileage.

What do you all think?
My new quote is the cheapest I can find and is at the following rate:

Initial deposit of £438.89 and then 10 monthly payments of £196.64.

This is a very good price considering all of my other quotes and ive also had to state my mileage will be 10,000 miles including business mileage.

What do you all think?

Is this with a black box or are you not looking for black box insurance? Check out Tesco Bank Box I'd highly recommend them but very picky about what cars they insure
Reply 30
Is this with a black box or are you not looking for black box insurance? Check out Tesco Bank Box I'd highly recommend them but very picky about what cars they insure

It's with ingenie.

Co op and ingenie are the only ones that will insure me for a price close to £2000 which for my circumstance is reasonable.

Tesco aren't providing me with a quote.

Could it be the 1.4 litre engine?
Reply 31
It's with ingenie.

Co op and ingenie are the only ones that will insure me for a price close to £2000 which for my circumstance is reasonable.

I doubt it; a 1.4 litre engine is one of the lowest you can get for a car.
It's with ingenie.

Go to Tesco's insurance website and fill a quote there. Ingenie from what I've heard is a rip off.
Reply 33
Wow your quotes are so strange. Yeah I get that they are expected to be high but surely £6000 is pushing it?! I think even £2500 is a bit crazy. What website are you using?

I'm 23, passed last summer and got a 1.4 Corsa in November. I used gocompare.com and my cheapest quote came to £1090 with a black box. I also have one of my parents on my insurance too. I'm with Hastings Direct, so maybe try them?
Reply 34
Go to Tesco's insurance website and fill a quote there. Ingenie from what I've heard is a rip off.

Tesco quoted me £3000 compared to ingenie who quoted what I mentioned earlier,
Reply 35
Original post by Kittt
Wow your quotes are so strange. Yeah I get that they are expected to be high but surely £6000 is pushing it?! I think even £2500 is a bit crazy. What website are you using?

I'm 23, passed last summer and got a 1.4 Corsa in November. I used gocompare.com and my cheapest quote came to £1090 with a black box. I also have one of my parents on my insurance too. I'm with Hastings Direct, so maybe try them?

Ive used go compare, compare the market, money supermarket. I've gone direct with every insurer I can think of and even my current insurer now who im insured with for my learner insurance is quoting £6000.
Reply 36
Original post by IWMTom
I doubt it; a 1.4 litre engine is one of the lowest you can get for a car.

My car is insurance group 9. Is that high?
Reply 37
My car is insurance group 9. Is that high?

Not really, no. The lowest is 1 and the highest is 50 so..

You could try seeing if you could go lower but it shouldn't be that much difference really.

Quick Reply

Latest