The Student Room Group

Choosing my GCSEs

I'm in Year 9 at the moment, and I'm in the process of choosing my GCSEs. Firstly, I'll be doing:
Maths & Further Maths
English Lang & Lit
RE
Spanish
French (external)
Triple Science
I also get to choose another 2 options to do at school. For me, I'm choosing between History, Geography and Economics. I am leaning towards History and Geography, but I think this might be quite heavy on the revision side as I'm also doing RE, two languages and triple science. When I'm older, I will probably go on to do mostly maths orientated A Levels, maybe with another essay based subject, and likely a maths related degree. I really enjoy all of the subjects (Geography, History and Economics) and find them all interesting in their own rights. As for my grades, I am getting 7/8 in history (new gcse grades) and 6/7 for Geography and Economics. Thanks for your help in advance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone have any experience with these subjects
I wouldn't do history and geog, especially since you're doing rs already. However if you really like essay writing and humanities, then by all means go for it! I didn't know you could do economics gcse though
Reply 3
Original post by mez_merising
I wouldn't do history and geog, especially since you're doing rs already. However if you really like essay writing and humanities, then by all means go for it! I didn't know you could do economics gcse though

thank you for your response! I do quite well in the humanity based subjects but I don't know if they would be relevant for my future career path or whether economics would be more applicable. I could always pick up economics at a level without a gcse - would that be a better option?
Reply 4
Hello! I'm doing History, Geography, RE, Spanish and Separate Science. Ask me any questions if you like, I'll be more then happy to help:smile:

Original post by Palmerius
I'm in Year 9 at the moment, and I'm in the process of choosing my GCSEs. Firstly, I'll be doing:
Maths & Further Maths
English Lang & Lit
RE
Spanish
French (external)
Triple Science
I also get to choose another 2 options to do at school. For me, I'm choosing between History, Geography and Economics. I am leaning towards History and Geography, but I think this might be quite heavy on the revision side as I'm also doing RE, two languages and triple science. When I'm older, I will probably go on to do mostly maths orientated A Levels, maybe with another essay based subject, and likely a maths related degree. I really enjoy all of the subjects (Geography, History and Economics) and find them all interesting in their own rights. As for my grades, I am getting 7/8 in history (new gcse grades) and 6/7 for Geography and Economics. Thanks for your help in advance.
thank you for your response! I do quite well in the humanity based subjects but I don't know if they would be relevant for my future career path or whether economics would be more applicable. I could always pick up economics at a level without a gcse - would that be a better option?

I guess it depends on what you wanna do in the future (and yeah, you could take it at a level without the gcse)
Anyone have any experience with these subjects

I am doing both geography and history gcse this year, and personally I prefer my history lessons though I would do research into your exam board, what the course entails, and the time periods you would be studying to see if it interests you.
I terms of geography there is A LOT to learn and the revision will probably take the most time out of all your subjects.
Economics would probably be good if you are planning on doing a maths based career, but ultimately go with your gut and what you truly enjoy.
Reply 7
Original post by Sabz152
Hello! I'm doing History, Geography, RE, Spanish and Separate Science. Ask me any questions if you like, I'll be more then happy to help:smile:
How are you finding studying for them? And what career are you looking to go into with those subjects?
Reply 8
Original post by abigail2001
I am doing both geography and history gcse this year, and personally I prefer my history lessons though I would do research into your exam board, what the course entails, and the time periods you would be studying to see if it interests you.
I terms of geography there is A LOT to learn and the revision will probably take the most time out of all your subjects.
Economics would probably be good if you are planning on doing a maths based career, but ultimately go with your gut and what you truly enjoy.

Thanks for your reply! What are you looking to do at A Level etc?
Reply 9
Hi!
I do RS, Geography and History all for GCSE and I have to admit that it is a lot of work...
I think it depends on what your passions are, if you enjoy essay writing (like many people above have said) then these three are great, although if you're not so great at remembering facts or case studies then perhaps economics may give you a sort of break

Hope this helps!
Reply 10
Original post by Wirefox
Hi!
I do RS, Geography and History all for GCSE and I have to admit that it is a lot of work...
I think it depends on what your passions are, if you enjoy essay writing (like many people above have said) then these three are great, although if you're not so great at remembering facts or case studies then perhaps economics may give you a sort of break

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your input!
Original post by Sabz152
Hopefully something like biology, Chemistry a humanity and maybe maths for a level. Medicine hopeful here:colondollar: Studying all these subjects is fine for me but geography can be hard as there is ALOT of facts u have to learn. I'd recommend History more and ur grades seem higher in that but then again I'm doing well in Geography as well-grade 8/9 at the moment. History and RE are bril for me and quite an ease. However, if ur very logical in thinking and like learning facts and applying ur knowledge then Geography is for you!! Economics- I didn't even know there was such thing as GCSE economics! That's nice to know 😊

[
;]Hopefully something like biology, Chemistry a humanity and maybe maths for a level. Medicine hopeful here Studying all these subjects is fine for me but geography can be hard as there is ALOT of facts u have to learn. I'd recommend History more and ur grades seem higher in that but then again I'm doing well in Geography as well-grade 8/9 at the moment. History and RE are bril for me and quite an ease. However, if ur very logical in thinking and like learning facts and applying ur knowledge then Geography is for you!! Economics- I didn't even know there was such thing as GCSE economics! That's nice to know 😊 [

How are you finding studying for them? And what career are you looking to go into with those subjects?
I think history and economics is a surprisingly good combination. Generally, schools either allow students to choose history or geography, alternatively. There must be a reason for that. History, as you will be aware, is an essay subject but geography requires more knowledge. Choose one but not both, is what I would recommend. If you like economics, then definitely do this subject. I hear it's not too difficult at GCSE level, and it helps that you have already experienced this subject at a low level.

Contrary to what I have said, any subjects you pick will be completely fine. Do what you think you will enjoy for two years and might want to pursue further on.

Sorry, a lot to think about for someone in Year 9. I wrote too much lol but hope it helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldnt worry too much about what would be better for a future career because its mostly your grades at gcse that count rather than the subjects - i know at my school you can do a levels without having done the subject at gcse (although obviously it helps). I'd go with what you're best at and what you enjoy most.
personally i did geog because i liked it and i hated history. i didnt think the revision was too bad, just random facts for case studies that you had to learn, but then i can't compare it to history because i didnt do it.
Maths & Further Maths
English Lang & Lit
RE
Spanish
French (external)
Triple Science

First of all, well done for your grades aha. Going by what you've said, it doesn't seem like History and Geography would be very useful to you with your chosen career path, and you're right in saying that they are heavy on revision. I myself only take History, and find it to be a lot to revise to get a good grade, and I have quite a few friends who do Geography and the amount of content they have to revise is huge. Obviously this varies depending on the exam board, but they are both subjects that have a lot of content and rely on memory, and despite the fact that you are good at them, they may not be as helpful to you as another subject e.g. Economics. I haven't studied this before so I can't really comment on it, but I know that History and Geography are a lot of work.
However, saying this they are good topics that are highly regarded by universities, particularly History, although you should also consider what you intend on studying, if you enjoy these subjects, think you are good at them and could perform well, then by all means go ahead and do them.
I think it is important to consider your career path and subjects that will benefit you in the area of work you wish to go into though.
Hi I am doing Geography and Economics.

Economics is absolutely brilliant. If you are interested in the subject and current affairs, you should find it easily.

Geography is quite factual based and the concepts are really easy to grasp. It is an easy A* and in your case an easy 8 and with not too much extra effort, it could be a 9.

As for History, I do not know, but I was put off learning about stuff like Russian history that was simply not interesting.

Ultimately choose what you enjoy the most and what you would achieve the best grades in. You do not have to have taken Economics to study it at A level, whilst for Geography and History, you probably do.

Out of Geography and Economics, I would recommend Economics to you. Just because it is so much more interesting, challenging and completely different to all of the other subjects at GCSE.

Furthermore, if you want to study a maths related degree then Economics would be great, as straight Economics is very theoretical and mathematical. Therefore, it would give you a choice of another mathematics orientated degree. Also, the GCSE really helps to introduce you to the Economics A level and you will have a huge advantage over those that are starting it at A level, as long as you maintain a good work ethic and put in the required effort.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd do History and Economics because they link nicely with your other subjects!

Quick Reply

Latest