The Student Room Group

Doing the subjects my parents forced me to do

I am currently in year 12 and I dread coming into school everyday. Its mainly due to the courses that I have chosen. I currently do maths, further maths and btec applied science. I initially wanted to do maths, Physics, business studies and product design but my parents wanted me to get a "guaranteed" place in uni. So I will have to study subjects I don't really like. So should I continue doing these courses or should I resit year 12 in another college/sixth form? I have heard that there are drawbacks in resiting year 12 and that it can restrict your chances into getting to uni.
Maybe you could complete your A-levels and then do a Foundation Course in a subject you like afterwards? :smile:
u gotta change your subects
Reply 3
Original post by CraigBackner
u gotta change your subects
what do you recommend me changing the subjects to?
Reply 4
Original post by drewbasaur
Maybe you could complete your A-levels and then do a Foundation Course in a subject you like afterwards? :smile:
With the current subjects i am doing, i don't what foundation degrees I can do.
1) Dp subjects you want to do bc its your future and you're only going to do well, if you have a passion for you're subjects
2) See how this year goes, maybe retake the year if thats a option you want to consider and do the subjects you want to do and help get you a career you want
3) Do a course after in subjects you like and this will keep your options wider too :smile:))

And you cant ask someone else what subjects they recommend isnt going to help you, bc we dont know what your interests/likes/dislikes are and our recommendations aren't always make you happy, bc tbh its your decision of what you want to do and only you can make that decision for yourself, not your parents or anyone else buy you :smile:)
Original post by RicardKu
what do you recommend me changing the subjects to?

to what you wanna do
duh *facepalm*
What do you want to study at uni? Your preferred choice of subject would be more useful for a lot of courses, but I think resitting the year could also come with a penalty in the eyes of admissions tutors. They might think you're not a very committed person, or that you failed your first year.

Quick Reply

Latest