The Student Room Group

Stuck between University of Nottingham/Southampton

I am stuck between the 2 Universities to do Engineering. Can anyone help give me pros and cons between the 2 Universities?
Many Thanks.
Which Engineering course is this for? I'd say Southampton is much more reputable than Nottingham in terms of their engineering departments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by TheIncredibleZ
Which Engineering course is this for? I'd say Southampton is much more reputable than Nottingham in terms of their engineering departments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Structural
Original post by TheIncredibleZ
I'd say Southampton is much more reputable than Nottingham in terms of their engineering departments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, I don't really think there is anything between them.
Southampton's engineering course has an amazing reputation - I'm sure Nottingham does as well, but engineering is really what Southampton uni is renowned for. It's its best course, has the best facilities etc.

But congrats to you on having 2 such amazing offers!
Original post by LeapingLucy
Southampton's engineering course has an amazing reputation - I'm sure Nottingham does as well, but engineering is really what Southampton uni is renowned for. It's its best course, has the best facilities etc.

But congrats to you on having 2 such amazing offers!

Not trying to diss Southampton, but I've never really heard this outside of TSR. I'm sure they're both fine universities, and that one of the biggest factors in the decision will be things like the location, and how much they (the applicant) felt like they liked the departments.
This all depends on which engineering course you are going for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Glib
Structural

Is that a postgrad course?
Reply 8
Original post by jneill
Is that a postgrad course?

No, should have really said civil and structural
Original post by Smack
Not trying to diss Southampton, but I've never really heard this outside of TSR. I'm sure they're both fine universities, and that one of the biggest factors in the decision will be things like the location, and how much they (the applicant) felt like they liked the departments.

I think it is more of an "international" thing. In Asia, Southampton is definitely more reputable than Nottingham in engineering. (But honestly, they are both great universities so personal preference matters more anyways...)

Quick Reply

Latest