The Student Room Group

Im starting to see my mac as an expensive liability

Scroll to see replies

They have some exclusive programs. And they don't get viruses.
Original post by ChickenMadness
They have some exclusive programs. And they don't get viruses.

They do get viruses, it is just most viruses are made for windows but there are a ton on mac.
Original post by BobBobson
Also don't forget guys that with each new useless ios update, older devices get slowed down specifically to encouarge people to buy the newer devices.

Is that actually a thing?? I've overheard people talking about it before but put it down to a conspiracy theory!
Original post by loooopppyyy
Is that actually a thing?? I've overheard people talking about it before but put it down to a conspiracy theory!

I've heard it from a lot of people. Obviously we can never know for sure, because of how restrictive Apple is over their "intellectual propety", but there is enough evidence to show that something must be going on.
Original post by Got Milk
It cost me a fortune and quite frankly I am not sure how it warrant the cost when I could have spent 400 on an 1TB 8GM ram laptop. So tell me this, why are these systems so popular? If anything it has reduced functionality compared to Windows. I got it because I heard they were reliable machines but I still dont think it warrants the cost of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All the windows laptops I've used usually degrade in performance in a few years. In fact my brothers brand new laptop mousepad broke after a year. My mac performs like it's still brand new. I absolutely love my mac.
Original post by That'sGreat
I barely use my Mac purely because of the way of copying, pasting and all that malarkey doesn't just let me do cntrl c. Can't be arsed with the that crap so went out and bought a window, 10x better

Are you serious? You use command + c/v instead of control + c/v, it's the same! :lol:
Reply 26
Original post by jameswhughes
Are you serious? You use command + c/v instead of control + c/v, it's the same! :lol:

I swear people will find anything to blame Apple/Macs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not otherwise it would work
Original post by That'sGreat
It's not otherwise it would work

I've used a Mac for the last four years, it works fine. :confused:
It cost me a fortune and quite frankly I am not sure how it warrant the cost when I could have spent 400 on an 1TB 8GM ram laptop. So tell me this, why are these systems so popular? If anything it has reduced functionality compared to Windows. I got it because I heard they were reliable machines but I still dont think it warrants the cost of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Use it through uni and sell it at the end. They keep value pretty good as far as laptops go. I find all the restrictions annoying and like to play games as well. It suits a particular type of person.
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Pmsl, no one looks cool in the library of all places :toofunny:

I disagree, you see someone on a mac and instantly think that the person is:

1. Rich
2. Abit of a rebel
3. Future looks promising

The women love it too

Posted from TSR Mobile
I disagree, you see someone on a mac and instantly think that the person is:

1. Rich
2. Abit of a rebel
3. Future looks promising

The women love it too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given that the vast majority of students use a MacBook these days I don't think there's anything rebellious about it :lol:
Given that the vast majority of students use a MacBook these days I don't think there's anything rebellious about it :lol:

The term 'more money than sense' comes to mind... :hide:

Cant be true the majority of students use Windows surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think MacBook is the standard rich mummy/daddy starting university present. :P

The poorer students that don't get this are the ones that invest in a Windows/Linux laptop haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not from what I've seen. Admittedly I don't have any statistics and I'm just going off my own observations, and I'd say Windows laptops are definitely in the minority.

Original post by loooopppyyy
I think MacBook is the standard rich mummy/daddy starting university present. :P

The poorer students that don't get this are the ones that invest in a Windows/Linux laptop haha

While MacBooks aren't cheap, the price difference is almost nothing in comparison to the other expenses of being a student. If I spend £400 more on a Mac than I would have on a good Windows machine (let's say that's a premium of £80 a year over 5 years), that's a pittance compared to the London living expenses of £7000+ every year for accommodation.

Also for some international students, they can be paying well over £20k in fees a year so for them it's really very little.
Not from what I've seen. Admittedly I don't have any statistics and I'm just going off my own observations, and I'd say Windows laptops are definitely in the minority.

While MacBooks aren't cheap, the price difference is almost nothing in comparison to the other expenses of being a student. If I spend £400 more on a Mac than I would have on a good Windows machine (let's say that's a premium of £80 a year over 5 years), that's a pittance compared to the London living expenses of £7000+ every year for accommodation.

Also for some international students, they can be paying well over £20k in fees a year so for them it's really very little.

It all adds up though, didn't mean it as an insult, if my daughter was starting Uni and I had a really well paid job then I would buy her a Mac, however as a poor student when money isn't expendable, Linux is more than sufficient!
Reply 37
If money wasn't such an object to me, I would happily buy a Mac (desktop or laptop, but not a tower desktop, it would be the all-in-one iMac) just so that I could use iMovie. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending