The Student Room Group

Hsbc work experience 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by DamnDaniel2
As your name suggests you're at GCSE I don't think there's much you could do apart from HSBC and the JPMorgan think ahead programme which passed a few weeks back unfortunately.
Finding informal work experience at a bank would be great and maybe a business?
Use Student Ladder as it's a great tool for finding work experience :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in Year 12 now haha but thank you
Reply 81
How do you get the results of your online assessment? Also, I have not yet been approached for a telephone interview... how were your dates arranged? Do you think I will need to do a telephone interview? I applied for the North region and applications are still open for this region
Reply 82
Original post by HarryGCSE
How do you get the results of your online assessment? Also, I have not yet been approached for a telephone interview... how were your dates arranged? Do you think I will need to do a telephone interview? I applied for the North region and applications are still open for this region

Hi, after you completed the online assessment, the progress tracker on your job page should tell you if you passed or not. This may take a couple of days depending on when it's updated.

Then you should get another email (not on same day) about completing a 'survey' about where you want to do Work Experience. So here you choose the town/city and preferences. A few days after that you should receive another email regarding scheduling a telephone interview. They give you the link in the email and you just book it accordingly to when you are available. Everyone has to do Telephone interview- I think. Most people I know have had to. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Haha I get socially awkward as well but I realised during my work experience that Investment Banking is a job you can't be socially awkward for and have to step out of your comfort zone in order to make contacts and network.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I realised this too; it's probably why I've become more confident recently so I'm glad I went through that all.
Reply 84
Original post by vik_k1
Hi, after you completed the online assessment, the progress tracker on your job page should tell you if you passed or not. This may take a couple of days depending on when it's updated.

Then you should get another email (not on same day) about completing a 'survey' about where you want to do Work Experience. So here you choose the town/city and preferences. A few days after that you should receive another email regarding scheduling a telephone interview. They give you the link in the email and you just book it accordingly to when you are available. Everyone has to do Telephone interview- I think. Most people I know have had to. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is weird. I received the email about choosing preferences a month after passing the online assessment and now a week or 2 has passed and I haven't received an email about a telephone interview :|
This is weird. I received the email about choosing preferences a month after passing the online assessment and now a week or 2 has passed and I haven't received an email about a telephone interview :|

Same
Original post by CIEBioloysifh
Same

Lol same here
Reply 87
Original post by CIEBioloysifh
Same

Which region are you applying for?
Which region are you applying for?

London, applied for canary wharf
Reply 89
Rest assured, HSBC is simply going through a backlog of work experience applications in the London region. Those that have completed the preferences survey, should be prompted to partake in a telephone interview soon.
I applied to the north region and just had my telephone interview. The lady was so nice but I'm pretty sure my interview went terribly 😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by jade_on_tsr
I applied to the north region and just had my telephone interview. The lady was so nice but I'm pretty sure my interview went terribly 😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh no sorry to hear that?:frown:
how long was the interview and how sort of questions did they ask?
Original post by Heyheyhy

Look at my previous replies ahah
Original post by Heyheyhy

The interview was about 20mins and she started off by confirming my details and then said she prepared 2 questions. My first one was when have I had a tough challenge to overcome and what was the outcome and then the second question was when was a time I helped someone. She also kept ask like why did you feel it was your responsibility. My interviewer was super nice though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
I got asked if I wanted to do Retail or Commercial or the other two. I wasn't sure what to answer because I wanted to do investment banking but obviously knew that wasn't being offered. So I said Retail.

Anyone whose either done this before or is going know what it will involve doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vik_k1
I got asked if I wanted to do Retail or Commercial or the other two. I wasn't sure what to answer because I wanted to do investment banking but obviously knew that wasn't being offered. So I said Retail.

Anyone whose either done this before or is going know what it will involve doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG WHY DID U DO THAT?? Retail is like the banking involved with normal people e.g. Us when we go to the bank so you don't do anything really (maybe if you are in HSBC premier shadowing then it can be more useful but not really), commercial is involved with businesses, managing capital, trade risk/finance, and investment management. Many of my mates don't know the difference so just said retail so I suggest you change it cause firstly retail is completely irrelevant to IB And will be boring, commercial is a bit more relevant and definitely More interesting/useful (imo at least). I advise you to search up HSBC commercial banking and retail banking, they have pages showing the summary of what things they offer in those two areas. I'm sure if you email/call them they may be able to change it because from my experience so far most people by default go with retail not really sure why! If u got any questions PM Me :smile:
Original post by azizadil1998
OMG WHY DID U DO THAT?? Retail is like the banking involved with normal people e.g. Us when we go to the bank so you don't do anything really (maybe if you are in HSBC premier shadowing then it can be more useful but not really), commercial is involved with businesses, managing capital, trade risk/finance, and investment management. Many of my mates don't know the difference so just said retail so I suggest you change it cause firstly retail is completely irrelevant to IB And will be boring, commercial is a bit more relevant and definitely More interesting/useful (imo at least). I advise you to search up HSBC commercial banking and retail banking, they have pages showing the summary of what things they offer in those two areas. I'm sure if you email/call them they may be able to change it because from my experience so far most people by default go with retail not really sure why! If u got any questions PM Me :smile:

Commercial banking isn't to with managing capital, trade risk/finance or investment management. It's basically the retail banking services but for commercial clients. You're talking about corproate banking. The retail banking work experience at HSBC also covers wealth management, which is slightly more relevant to investment management.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
Commercial banking isn't to with managing capital, trade risk/finance or investment management. It's basically the retail banking services but for commercial clients. You're talking about corproate banking. The retail banking work experience at HSBC also covers wealth management, which is slightly more relevant to investment management.

Nah on their site it says those r the different areas so that's what i was saying, but it will depend on what branch you're in etc. And retail banking has the wealth management thing yeah but again depends on the branch and from the people ik who have done it, it doesn't seem like they place great emphasis on that as HSBC isn't an IB - will depend on branch/your luck ahah, i suppose u can ask them before
Reply 98
Original post by Trapz99

I'm confused now. So are you suggesting I do Retail because it's more relevant to IB but covers commercial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azizadil1998
Nah on their site it says those r the different areas so that's what i was saying, but it will depend on what branch you're in etc. And retail banking has the wealth management thing yeah but again depends on the branch and from the people ik who have done it, it doesn't seem like they place great emphasis on that as HSBC isn't an IB - will depend on branch/your luck ahah, i suppose u can ask them before

Oh **** I got corporate and commercial banking confused I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending