The Student Room Group

How easy is it to find a part-time job?

I'm a student and I plan on getting a part-time job as soon as I get all the necessary permits.

I wanted to ask how easy is it to find a part-time job in the UK at places like McDonalds, Subway and such? I don't mind minimum wage or slightly above it. Also, how difficult it to arrange to switch to full time when term times end?
Getting a job ins't difficult per se. You have to write strong targeted applications and be prepared to write lots of them if competition is high and the number of places available is low. From your post it appears that you need permission to work in the UK so you may want to check whether you can take on full time work in holidays as a student (legally). But whether or not you can do that will depend on availability of positions and how long you can work as companies may not make you full time if you're gonna go back to uni in a few months. Smaller stores and companies may be willing to be more flexible.
Reply 2
Finding a part-time job for a university student in the UK is not difficult. I bet that wherever you live, it is much harder to find a job as a university student.

The competition is indeed high, but I am sure you will be able to find a job if you apply for plenty of jobs.

Also, there are other jobs university students can do, not just working for fast food restaurants, e.g. waiter/waitress, receptionist, call centre worker, etc. Internships are good too.

You might want to get a job or volunteer where you live (if you do not have one or if you do not do that already) so you have some work experience, which would make you a better candidate than those fresh out of college/sixth form 18-year-olds who have no work experience.

As for switching from part time to full time during the summer, I doubt that would be a problem. You will obviously have to let your workplace know in advance, but I do not think it will be too troublesome.
(edited 7 years ago)
The answer is - it depends. Having some work experience will give you an advantage when looking for jobs. In my experience most people who want to work find a job but you should make sure you're not relying on getting one as it's not guaranteed. A disadvantage you can have as a uni student is that some places don't want someone who will be away for weeks at the end of every term and in the summer so you may not be able to travel home so easily. As far as switching to full time in the summer/holidays it depends on the needs of the employer, some will have lots of hours and happily give you more and some won't, I'd guess the majority of places will have more available hours over summer when lots of people tend to move around/leave/go on holiday so you shouldn't find it too hard to get more.
A lot of it depends where you live. If you're based in a smaller town there may not be that many customer service outlets hiring minimum wage workers, zero hour contract positions etc.

If you're within commuting distance of one of the big cities with packed high streets, multiple major shopping centres, squares rammed full of bars/restaurants etc then it's actually harder to be unemployed than it is to find a job as there are thousands of positions being hired for daily
Original post by Michiyo
Finding a part-time job for a university student in the UK is not difficult. I bet that wherever you live, it is much harder to find a job as a university student.

The competition is indeed high, but I am sure you will be able to find a job if you apply for plenty of jobs.

Also, there are other jobs university students can do, not just working for fast food restaurants, e.g. waiter/waitress, receptionist, call centre worker, etc. Internships are good too.

You might want to get a job or volunteer where you live (if you do not have one or if you do not do that already) so you have some work experience, which would make you a better candidate than those fresh out of college/sixth form 18-year-olds who have no work experience.

As for switching from part time to full time during the summer, I doubt that would be a problem. You will obviously have to let your workplace know in advance, but I do not think it will be too troublesome.

I agree

Latest

Trending

Trending