The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What language do bilinguals think in and can they think in their weaker language?

Just curious.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Speak English like 80% of the day so i think in English 100% of the time until someone asks this specific question, then i start questioning my subconscious's racism
Reply 3
Original post by Casisalive
Speak English like 80% of the day so i think in English 100% of the time until someone asks this specific question, then i start questioning my subconscious's racism

But are you bilingual?
Original post by fat_pam
But are you bilingual?

My grandma only speaks punjabi and i was practically raised by her so i guess im fluent
I think in English but as far as it goes for the weaker language I'm bad at both Urdu and English :rofl:
Reply 6
My grandma only speaks punjabi and i was practically raised by her so i guess im fluent

can you think in punjabi?
Reply 7
Original post by retro_turtles
I think in English but as far as it goes for the weaker language I'm bad at both Urdu and English :rofl:

can you think in urdu?
I'm not quite bilingual but can speak French to a high level (English is my native language), and I can think in French, especially when doing French work/speaking with others.
depends on the person and question tbh

I speak both Farsi & english fluently
Original post by fat_pam
can you think in punjabi?

Yeah but it just feels strange, even if im speaking punjabi i still think in English. I mainly just use punjabi to swear at my other punjabi mates so i guess that part of me isn't used to thinking hard
Reply 11
Original post by starshine909
depends on the person and question tbh

I speak both Farsi & english fluently

What language do you think in?
Reply 12
Yeah but it just feels strange, even if im speaking punjabi i still think in English. I mainly just use punjabi to swear at my other punjabi mates so i guess that part of me isn't used to thinking hard

So how many languages can you think in altogether?
Original post by fat_pam
What language do you think in?

It depends...on what I'm thinking about
Original post by fat_pam
can you think in urdu?

I can
Reply 15
I think in english.but i speak both at varying times.
Reply 16
I can

Reply 17
Bump
Original post by fat_pam

Reply 19

What age did you learn English and Urdu?

Latest

Trending

Trending