The Student Room Group

GEM meltdown

Hello everyone!

I'm having a bit of a meltdown as to what to do. I haven't achieved very well in my A Levels (not something I will go into) but then completed an access course which enabled me to get into University now.

Long story short, I have originally applied to do nursing at a RG University as I wanted my degree to be as clinical and patient based as possible because I know I want to do medicine. I had mixed feelings about it as I am aware med and nursing are two completely different worlds so I ended up going through clearing and now I am doing a psychology course at a rather low ranked uni, (Winchester) whereas previously I applied to Southampton, it was too late in clearing to get a place there.

I am currently 20, I already had a gap year and I am unsure what to do now. I enjoy psychology and I am actually on a track of getting a first. However Winchester is a very small university and like I said, it's not ranked very high, I have mixed opinions whether rankings actually matter or not.

I was kind of planning to start a Psychology & Neuroscience degree at Sussex, it's ranked very high and has one of the best psychology departments. However this would mean I have to start with a foundation year (I already contacted them), which would leave me graduating at 24/25:frown:

I have been doing work experience for med for a good couple of years now, currently landed a job as an assistant at the operating theatre along with doing doing HCA shifts on various wards and volunteering. I am also doing A Level Chemistry and planning to do Biology as well, possibly Maths too.

My actual question is, do I continue at a low ranked uni? If I don't get into medicine I would like to become a clinical psychologist which is also highly competitive... makes me think, why would anyone choose me over an oxbridge candidate? same with medicine, even if I get good grades, volunteering, what would make admissions choose someone from Winchester over someone from an RG university?
Original post by vmedically
Hello everyone!

I'm having a bit of a meltdown as to what to do. I haven't achieved very well in my A Levels (not something I will go into) but then completed an access course which enabled me to get into University now.

Long story short, I have originally applied to do nursing at a RG University as I wanted my degree to be as clinical and patient based as possible because I know I want to do medicine. I had mixed feelings about it as I am aware med and nursing are two completely different worlds so I ended up going through clearing and now I am doing a psychology course at a rather low ranked uni, (Winchester) whereas previously I applied to Southampton, it was too late in clearing to get a place there.

I am currently 20, I already had a gap year and I am unsure what to do now. I enjoy psychology and I am actually on a track of getting a first. However Winchester is a very small university and like I said, it's not ranked very high, I have mixed opinions whether rankings actually matter or not.

I was kind of planning to start a Psychology & Neuroscience degree at Sussex, it's ranked very high and has one of the best psychology departments. However this would mean I have to start with a foundation year (I already contacted them), which would leave me graduating at 24/25:frown:

I have been doing work experience for med for a good couple of years now, currently landed a job as an assistant at the operating theatre along with doing doing HCA shifts on various wards and volunteering. I am also doing A Level Chemistry and planning to do Biology as well, possibly Maths too.

My actual question is, do I continue at a low ranked uni? If I don't get into medicine I would like to become a clinical psychologist which is also highly competitive... makes me think, why would anyone choose me over an oxbridge candidate? same with medicine, even if I get good grades, volunteering, what would make admissions choose someone from Winchester over someone from an RG university?

I can't comment on the competition for clinical psychology but for GEM it really doesn't matter where you get your degree from. Just that you get at least a 2:1.
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
I can't comment on the competition for clinical psychology but for GEM it really doesn't matter where you get your degree from. Just that you get at least a 2:1.

Thank you for your response. So as long as I get whatever is expected from me I will be considered regardless which uni I attended? This would make it so much easier for me as instead of having to do another 4 years, I only have 2 left now to graduate, there's the issue of Brexit, because I'm a European citizen I guess there's uncertainty whether the funding or even the course would still be available for me
Original post by vmedically
Thank you for your response. So as long as I get whatever is expected from me I will be considered regardless which uni I attended? This would make it so much easier for me as instead of having to do another 4 years, I only have 2 left now to graduate, there's the issue of Brexit, because I'm a European citizen I guess there's uncertainty whether the funding or even the course would still be available for me

Pretty much. And getting a great score in UKCAT/GAMSAT.

Yeah, who knows what the situation will be in a couple of years :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by ForestCat
Pretty much. And getting a great score in UKCAT/GAMSAT.

Yeah, who knows what the situation will be in a couple of years :s-smilie:

Guess I'll just have to do it asap then :frown: already started practising!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending