The Student Room Group

Discussion time: Do people choose to be gay?

Discuss the above. I'm confused and can't think how people feel before they realise they're gay and stuff.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FIFA 18
Discuss the above. I'm confused and can't think how people feel before they realise they're gay and stuff.

When you know, you'll know. It just happens. My mate came out to us a couple of months back - I always thought he was straight. People can often surprise you, so you'll never know until you ask!
No, they don't. End of.
Reply 3
Original post by FIFA 18

No, people don't choose their sexuality. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay, but why would people choose to be something that they are condemned and persecuted for? Why would you choose to be gay and face such unjust prejudice? Simple, you don't choose. Your sexuality is natural, and there's not much you can do about it. I'm talking predominately about countries where homosexuality is illegal, although homophobia is alarmingly rife in the western world too...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lh030396
No, people don't choose their sexuality. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay, but why would people choose to be something that they are condemned and persecuted for? I'm mainly talking about countries where homosexuality is illegal, although homophobia is alarmingly rife in the western world too...

I used to be homophobic but I changed for the better after a teacher talked to me about how serious it was back in Year 11.
Reply 5
Yes, people do chose it. But there is nothing wrong if they're gay. People are influenced by what watch, how they are brought up. For example, most gay people are middle class. There are hardly any working class gay people.
Original post by RedManc
Yes, people do chose it. But there is nothing wrong if they're gay. People are influenced by what watch, how they are brought up. For example, most gay people are middle class. There are hardly any working class gay people.

:toofunny:
I think it is 90% choice 10%other factors. your enviroment heavily shapes you and that is the main reason.
If people choose to be gay, then surely I can just become gay whenever I want? :dontknow:
Reply 9
Original post by FIFA 18

No.
END OF.
Reply 10
Original post by cbreef
If people choose to be gay, then surely I can just become gay whenever I want? :dontknow:

No. It depends how you are raised as a kid. You can't change you're mind when you're a teenager and above.
I believe people cannot choose their sexuality and that, in fact, homosexuality is nature's answer to untrammelled population growth.

Perceive that how you will, it's my own weird rationale on the subject.
Reply 12
Original post by AperfectBalance
I think it is 90% choice 10%other factors. your enviroment heavily shapes you and that is the main reason.

I agree with you there.
Reply 13
Original post by Pretty Flacko
I believe people cannot choose their sexuality and that, in fact, homosexuality is nature's answer to untrammelled population growth.

Perceive that how you will, it's my own weird rationale on the subject.

I disagree with you, I think the more affluent the country is the greater the chance of becoming gay
Original post by RedManc
No. It depends how you are raised as a kid. You can't change you're mind when you're a teenager and above.

Hence it's not a choice.
Reply 15
Original post by Cherub012
Hence it's not a choice.

You're right it's not a choice. But people aren't born gay.
Original post by RedManc
I disagree with you, I think the more affluent the country is the greater the chance of becoming gay

Or, perhaps, the less affluent the country, the less of a platform there is for homosexuality. In many lesser off countries there is also the possibility of prosecution.
Reply 17
Original post by RedManc

Wow!

Being gay is not about that.

Get a grip on human reality.
Original post by RedManc

It's not like there's no gay people in poor countries though. It might appear that way, because their society is really homophobic.
As I don't choose what I'm attracted to in any sense at all, I can't reasonably rationalise how choosing to be gay makes any sense whatsoever when in effect it's just another sexual preference, like thinking certain eye/hair colours are good or preferring different boob sizes.

Original post by RedManc
Yes, people do chose it. But there is nothing wrong if they're gay. People are influenced by what watch, how they are brought up.

They don't really choose that though, do they?

Original post by RedManc

So... it's a choice that you can't choose?

Original post by cbreef

idk so far everybody in this thread who classes it as a choice has said it's based on your upbringing... which you don't choose.

Which makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending