The Student Room Group

Drake tells hijabi muslim fans to take their scarf off at a concert!

Scroll to see replies

(edited 7 years ago)
I'm Surprised They Went Dressed.
I'm Guessing Drake Was too... :banana:
Original post by President Hawk
I'm Surprised They Went Dressed.
I'm Guessing Drake Was too... :banana:

Hehe... The Banana Though!
Original post by QE2
Yep, that's what it says in the Quran. To be precise, it says "fitnah is worse than killing" (2:217). In this context, "fitnah" is considered to be the enabling of disbelief.

I don't come from a Muslim background, so all of this is alien to me. I totally understand Judeo-Christian culture, per contra, because you absorb it by osmosis, even if you are neither Jewish not Christian in a formal sense. It is second nature, whether you are religious or secular.. Even Dawkins says he is "culturally a Christian."

But trying to grasp Islam is like visiting a foreign county when you don't speak the language and no-one speaks yours.

It seems to me important to try, though, you can't understand the modern world without understanding Islam and Islamic history.

So this thread has been educational to me. I genuinely didn't realise this, thank you for explaining it to me (actually Aisha was the first).

When you realise that Mohammed promulgated such an extraordinary doctrine, and has been believed with sincere religious fervour, so much of what has happened through history, and is happening recently starts to make sense.

We (not you obviously) western secularists really don't understand Muslims. We think they are just like us, with a religious coating. But they are not, it is a totally antithetical belief system.

It makes me despair, actually. I can't see a way forward, in the short term at least. I don't see how you can be a good Muslim AND integrate in the post Christian. secular west.
Reply 304
Original post by astutehirstute
I don't come from a Muslim background, so all of this is alien to me. I totally understand Judeo-Christian culture, per contra, because you absorb it by osmosis, even if you are neither Jewish not Christian in a formal sense. It is second nature, whether you are religious or secular.. Even Dawkins says he is "culturally a Christian."

But trying to grasp Islam is like visiting a foreign county when you don't speak the language and no-one speaks yours.

It seems to me important to try, though, you can't understand the modern world without understanding Islam and Islamic history.

So this thread has been educational to me. I genuinely didn't realise this, thank you for explaining it to me (actually Aisha was the first).

When you realise that Mohammed promulgated such an extraordinary doctrine, and has been believed with sincere religious fervour, so much of what has happened through history, and is happening recently starts to make sense.

We (not you obviously) western secularists really don't understand Muslims. We think they are just like us, with a religious coating. But they are not, it is a totally antithetical belief system.

It makes me despair, actually. I can't see a way forward, in the short term at least. I don't see how you can be a good Muslim AND integrate in the post Christian. secular west.
It all depends on how you define "good Muslim". To me, it is exemplified by the likes of Maajid Nawaz (who is also the handsomest man in the world, and coined the term "regressive left", *swoon* - if I wasn't straight...). Unfortunately, to others it involves rejecting any attempts at modernisation, revisionism and integration. I have seen the idea "Islam shouldn't change to fit society, society must change to fit Islam" expressed many times on TSR ISOC (hardly the most radical of Islamist forums!)
And it seems that the greater the need for an Islamic Enlightenment, the more some resist it.
Original post by Mathemagicien
What is the point of 'adapting to the 21st century' if you lose sight of what is important?

They could 'adapt to the 22nd century' and stop believing in a god altogether - but that would hardly be islam.

Could you explain why attending a concert is wrong? How does it prevent you from practicing your faith etc. It's a bit of a straw man argument to bring up stopping believing in Gold when that is clearly not what was being discussed in the first place.
All of my anti-religion quotes have been put under review with some being declined. It seems TSR is run by tossers who don't believe in freedom of speech.

Following the path of religion, leads to ignorance; it is one of the reasons science has been held back for many years. If religion didn't exist, many genetic diseases probably would have been cured 40-50 years ago. If religion didn't exist, there wouldn't be people running around with bomb vests, the crusades wouldn't of happened, and ireland as well as many other countries wouldn't have split. **** religion **** god; follow science, reason and logic. Be an Athiest.
Original post by Junaid12
A person shouldn't say anything like that to anyone. They are allowed to wear what they want. Drake wouldn't say that on the street because he would get smacked. But at a safe concert stage with security, Hell yeah!

Original post by Tahmim14
It really saddens me to think that most non Muslims think that the hijab is a sign of oppression where it is actually a symbol of your love for Allah :/

Original post by PrincessBO$$
He has a right to tell somebody else to take their HIJAB of? :gasp:

interesting that most ppl here missed the larger point, from the point of an actual muslims- ie that a female muslim going to a mixed concert to listen to music is in fact against islamic edicts in the first place (hijab or not)-

allow the well known youtube imams to clarify

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4549666

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUek15xwH6g
Original post by AishaGirl
Or exposing herself to a dozen sources of fitnah simultaneously.

surely just stepping out the front door in this day and age exposes one to various fitnahs simultaneously ( in islamic terms anyway - looking at men/men looking at you, temptation to steal, hearing music, meeting non-muslims, hearing other points of views that are not islamic etc etc) ) for the rest of us stepping out is simply the start of a new day, and all the thought processes that we are required to make for ourselves.

if your concern is genuinely this great, why would you leave the house at all?
Reply 310
Original post by Reformed
if your concern is genuinely this great, why would you leave the house at all?
#lifeisatest™
Original post by 99_Problems
This thread is disappointing and so was that earlier video that was pointed. If the girls were Muslims then why shouldn't they be there? Concerts are a big part of western life. The people in the comments of the youtube video posted earlier saying "concerts are the work of the devil" and someone saying that people who go to concerts are monkeys (wtf) honestly grinds my gears. Islam needs to adapt for the 21st century like Christianity, this inflexibility really damages cohesion in a time where it is very much needed.

I understand what your saying but I dont believe Islam needs to adapt. Yes those hijabi girls shouldnt be there according to Islam but so shouldnt the non hijabi muslim girls and dont forget about the muslim men. We as muslims do live in the West so we shouldnt criticise others who do things against our religion but rather refrain from doing those things. Obviously, everyone has a choice and I would prefer a girl with a hijab to go that concert rather than a non hijabi muslim because 2 wrongs dont make a right. But I understand exactly what your saying
Original post by QE2
It all depends on how you define "good Muslim". To me, it is exemplified by the likes of Maajid Nawaz (who is also the handsomest man in the world, and coined the term "regressive left", *swoon* - if I wasn't straight...). Unfortunately, to others it involves rejecting any attempts at modernisation, revisionism and integration. I have seen the idea "Islam shouldn't change to fit society, society must change to fit Islam" expressed many times on TSR ISOC (hardly the most radical of Islamist forums!)
And it seems that the greater the need for an Islamic Enlightenment, the more some resist it.

I get what your saying. To me, a "good muslim" is someone who follows the path of the Prophet (saw) to the best of his abilities. In that case, I would say Maajid Nawaz isnt the best of Muslims because of some of his views which actually goes against the way of Islam. Im not one to judge either because I know the wrongs Im doing in my own life. Even though he is a shia, I strongly support the works of Mehdi Hassan because of his loyalty to the way of Islam..
Reply 313
Original post by Asian_persuasion
I understand what your saying but I dont believe Islam needs to adapt.
When you say that Islam doesn't need to adapt, do you mean that slavery, the rape of captives, wife beating and death for apostates, adulterers and homosexuals (under certain conditions) are all still appropriate and acceptable actions. Because if you do, I have no idea how you can expect Islam to be accepted by the civilised world.

However, if you claim that they are no longer acceptable, then Islam is already adapting (or at least, your version is).
Reply 314
Original post by Asian_persuasion
I get what your saying. To me, a "good muslim" is someone who follows the path of the Prophet (saw) to the best of his abilities. In that case, I would say Maajid Nawaz isnt the best of Muslims because of some of his views which actually goes against the way of Islam.
Well, isn't that kinda the point? Islam cannot remain stuck in 7th century Arabia. If it wants to continue to coexist in the future we all face together it must adapt and modernise.

I strongly support the works of Mehdi Hassan because of his loyalty to the way of Islam..
Ah yes, the man who genuinely believes that Muhammad literally flew to heaven on a winged donkey with telescopic legs! And he pretends to be a serious and objective journalist! :rofl:
He is also no stranger to disingenuity and misrepresentation. And his debate style that ranges from the condescending to the sneering. Not a good poster boy for moderate Islam.
Original post by erkutakgok
All of my anti-religion quotes have been put under review with some being declined. It seems TSR is run by tossers who don't believe in freedom of speech.

Following the path of religion, leads to ignorance; it is one of the reasons science has been held back for many years. If religion didn't exist, many genetic diseases probably would have been cured 40-50 years ago. If religion didn't exist, there wouldn't be people running around with bomb vests, the crusades wouldn't of happened, and ireland as well as many other countries wouldn't have split. **** religion **** god; follow science, reason and logic. Be an Athiest.

Totally.

Don't expect this post to survive long though. The Mods are a total waste of space on here. A joke.
Original post by erkutakgok
All of my anti-religion quotes have been put under review with some being declined. It seems TSR is run by tossers who don't believe in freedom of speech..

Look at the language you're using. You don't show any respect for anyone so why should the moderators allow you to be abusive and deliberately offensive? If you want to join in the debate then by all means but at least have the decency to show a rudimentary level of respect for your peers.
Reply 317
Nah mate you can't tell someone what they can or can't do? It's there life they can do what they want. No one has the right to do that. Pathetic person
Original post by RedManc
Yes.
Original post by nailahjr
Nah mate you can't tell someone what they can or can't do? It's there life they can do what they want. No one has the right to do that. Pathetic person

I'm not going to argue with you because I'll get banned. I'll debate with you in two months.
Original post by QE2
Well, isn't that kinda the point? Islam cannot remain stuck in 7th century Arabia. If it wants to continue to coexist in the future we all face together it must adapt and modernise.

Ah yes, the man who genuinely believes that Muhammad literally flew to heaven on a winged donkey with telescopic legs! And he pretends to be a serious and objective journalist! :rofl:
He is also no stranger to disingenuity and misrepresentation. And his debate style that ranges from the condescending to the sneering. Not a good poster boy for moderate Islam.

Well, the Islamic Empire actually went and took over parts of Spain which isnt really Arabia.. And Islam is the fastest growing religion and many many westerners are converting to Islam so in my personal opinion, Islam really doesnt need to adapt. Plus, studies have shown that Islam will be the largest religion by 2030 or 2050 i think so I think it will coexist in the future 😂 Anyways, I didnt say Mehdi Hassan was perfect. I just prefer him over Maajid Nawaz whom very very minority Muslims actually like. You must be a crazy muslim to actually support him😂 But i agree, he is good looking no homo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending