The Student Room Group

logic question - how did they get this answer?

Capture.JPG
Original post by Khodu
Capture.JPG

which part is confusing you? Id say draw out a blank box 1-10 and write in box values as you need them, itll probably help keep track of which number is where.
Reply 2
Original post by DylanJ42
which part is confusing you? Id say draw out a blank box 1-10 and write in box values as you need them, itll probably help keep track of which number is where.

I got

28, not sure how they got 32

so

1) 2+3=5
2) 5+2=7
3) 7*4=28
Original post by Khodu
I got

28, not sure how they got 32

so

1) 2+3=5
2) 5+2=7
3) 7*4=28

oh, the second command/instruction says to add 5 to the number in the box whos number in is box 6. The number in box 6 is 2. So they are asking you to add 5 to the number in box 2. (the number in box 6 is telling you the box number you need to go to, you dont actually add the value in box 6 to the number 5)
Reply 4
oh, the second command/instruction says to add 5 to the number in the box whos number in is box 6. The number in box 6 is 2. So they are asking you to add 5 to the number in box 2. (the number in box 6 is telling you the box number you need to go to, you dont actually add the value in box 6 to the number 5)

AH

So

1) 2+5=85
2) 5+8
3) 8*4=32

great.

What about this one? I appreciate your help. Thank you

Capture.JPG
Original post by Khodu
AH

So

1) 2+5=85
2) 5+8
3) 8*4=32

great.

What about this one? I appreciate your help. Thank you

Capture.JPG

See the photo, imo thats the bet way to do these types of questions, Ive done 1-4 for you just so you can see how its done. Post your workings if you get stuck :smile:

logic.png
Reply 6
See the photo, imo thats the bet way to do these types of questions, Ive done 1-4 for you just so you can see how its done. Post your workings if you get stuck :smile:

logic.png

i got stuck on the third part :colondollar: when it came to changing instructions

ejbQ8U0D.jpg
Original post by Khodu
i got stuck on the third part :colondollar: when it came to changing instructions

ejbQ8U0D.jpg

okay so originally instruction 2 is; "find the value of box 1 + value of box 2 and put it in box 1"

instruction 3 tells you to change "instruction 2 by increasing the box number of the second box by 1"

so instruction 3 is making instruction 2 read; "find the value of box 1 + value of box 3 and put it in box 1"

if you were to apply instruction 3 again instruction 2 would become" find the value of box 1 + value of box 4 and put it in box 1"

does that make sense? instruction 3 doesn't change the values of any boxes, it only changes instruction 2
Reply 8

logic.png

think i got it :top2: did i?

lZjGT7ex.jpg
Original post by Khodu
think i got it :top2: did i?x

yep thats it, one thing though which is my fault, I misread instruction 4, it wants you to compare the actual box number to the value of box 8. The answer still works out the same though (luckily)

well done :biggrin:
Reply 10
yep thats it, one thing though which is my fault, I misread instruction 4, it wants you to compare the actual box number to the value of box 8. The answer still works out the same though (luckily)

well done :biggrin:

aahh, I see, I didn't notice that too. I was comparing the value inside the box to the value in box 8

thank you..

I am now doing this one. But if you are busy/not bothered not to worry. I have work now, but will be back in 2 hours. Thanks Dylan, you've been such a great help. I have 11 of these to get through and have been procrastinating with my fridge all day!

Capture.JPG

Spoiler

Original post by Khodu
x

once you are back post your workings for them here if you get stuck and someone will help you out :biggrin:
Reply 12
Capture.JPG

y

Attachment not found

kinda stuck :/

Quick Reply

Latest