The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What language do bilinguals think in and can they think in their weaker language?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Bump
I think in English pretty much all the time but I find that it's usually when I'm upset that I think in Punjabi or when I'm with my family I think in Punjabi. I find it a more expressive language whereas English seems very black and white to me in terms of expressing emotion.
Reply 42
Original post by cupcakes87
I think in English pretty much all the time but I find that it's usually when I'm upset that I think in Punjabi or when I'm with my family I think in Punjabi. I find it a more expressive language whereas English seems very black and white to me in terms of expressing emotion.

Can you think in Punjabi? What age did you learn Punjabi and English?
Reply 43
I don't have a totally coherent train of thought, but to answer your question I probably mostly think in English, and only think in Estonian (1st language alongside English) if the situation calls for it. For example, if I spend a long time in Estonian, I start to think in Estonian again.
I mostly think in English though, since I live in England and I'm rarely presented with the opportunity to speak Estonian.
Reply 44
Original post by Mikos
I don't have a totally coherent train of thought, but to answer your question I probably mostly think in English, and only think in Estonian (1st language alongside English) if the situation calls for it. For example, if I spend a long time in Estonian, I start to think in Estonian again.
I mostly think in English though, since I live in England and I'm rarely presented with the opportunity to speak Estonian.

What age did you learn English and Estonian? Can you think in Estonian?
In English because that's the language I use most often, although it is my 2nd language. Since I speak it so often I often feel I'm stronger at it and losing touch with my native language.
Reply 46
I'm bilingual (English and Polish)
I always think in English, even if I'm speaking Polish. Polish is my weaker language though.
Reply 47
Original post by fat_pam
What age did you learn English and Estonian? Can you think in Estonian?

I was taught both as a first language, if that makes sense. Like you probably learned English as a baby, that was the same for me with both.
Yes, I can "think" in Estonian but not as often as I think in English, but I don't think people have a coherent train of thought and perceive things with fully structured sentences. I think people just perceive and that's it for the most part.
Reply 48
Original post by MilenaW
I'm bilingual (English and Polish)
I always think in English, even if I'm speaking Polish. Polish is my weaker language though.

What age did you learn English and Polish?

Can you think in Polish?
Reply 49
Original post by BookBird
In English because that's the language I use most often, although it is my 2nd language. Since I speak it so often I often feel I'm stronger at it and losing touch with my native language.

What is your native language? Can you think in your native language?
Reply 50
Original post by Wienerwald
I'm almost trilingual (I speak English, Polish and German though my Deutsch still needs improvement). Even though I was born to Polish parents and I am living in Poland and attending high school here, I always think in English. Despite using Polish on a daily basis at home and at school, I am completely disconnected from the language and the culture.

Can you think in Polish?
Reply 51
Yes, although I have to force it.

So how many languages can you think in altogether?
Reply 52
Three.

Tell me, what age did you learn those 3 languages?
Reply 53
I speak English (my native ) German Japanese and Mandarin to varying abilites i am fluent in german and japanese and am still learning mandarin so as a trilingual i guess it still applies I think in my native tongue but I can think in German especially when trying to decipher German seeing as I am out of practice with my German. In my experience thinking in your native or most used language occurs without thinking but thinking another language requires effort Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fat_pam
What is your native language? Can you think in your native language?

Kiswahili. I can, I just don't often.
Reply 55
Kiswahili. I can, I just don't often.

What age did you learn both languages? How many languages can you think in altogether?
Original post by fat_pam
What age did you learn both languages? How many languages can you think in altogether?

Learned both since I was young, but I think the first one I was able to speak properly was Kiswahili. Only 2.
Reply 57
Learned both since I was young, but I think the first one I was able to speak properly was Kiswahili. Only 2.

So you think in English and Kiswahili?
Reply 58
Usually I don't even think in a language per se, but rather just concepts and nonlinguistic processes.
I often think in Norwegian - my first language, but I easily switch when I travel. If I travel to Germany or Sweden, I often switch over to those. If I write a lot or frequently use English in any context, I might also go through phases of only thinking in English.
Original post by fat_pam
Can you think in Punjabi? What age did you learn Punjabi and English?

Yhh I can. I've spoken both since I could speak really

Latest

Trending

Trending