The Student Room Group

Maths 9-1 gcse very difficult...

The maths GCSE is very hard and im struggling with the new papers.Any advice?
ask ppl to give you exam question paper questions
and what exam board?
Original post by _TonnnyBoyy

Do as well as you can in GCSE and do a Level 1 course in college.
Reply 3
I wouldnt say im bad at maths and i do learn quick just this maths exam is clearly getting harder.I dont tend to go to college either.
Reply 4
Edexcel is the exam board
Original post by unillama
ask ppl to give you exam question paper questions
and what exam board?
ok well what are u predicted in maths ?
Edexcel is the exam board
Reply 6
Yeah i do python idle if that makes any change.Is it really worth doing pass papers if the 2017 exam style is much more different?
Reply 7
ok well what are u predicted in maths ?

A 'B' and i got a U:frown:
Reply 8
YR 11 doing higher tier
tht is abso fine dw
you still got time
umm i got and A for the frist time in 5 years just recently so dw
imma do u a favour i will make this group chat on TSR and its between me u adn this other person who need help in math s
A 'B' and i got a U:frown:
tht is abso fine dw
you still got time
imma do u a favour i will make this group chat on TSR and its between me u adn this other person who need help in math s

Okay

What areas of the course are you struggling on? Watch videos and do practice questions until you are sure that you understand the method. I would recommend the CGP revision books, they are good revision tools that simplify the methods and give you questions and step-by-step guides to the methods. If you want help, feel free to contact me and I will try and help you achieve your target.
(edited 7 years ago)

tht is abso fine dw
you still got time

i need help with maths as well, I'm aming for a 9
Original post by GeorgeTB1234
What areas of the course are you struggling on? Watch videos and do practice questions until you are sure that you understand the method. I would recommend the CGP revision books, they are good revision tools that simplify the methods and give you questions and step-by-step guides to the methods. If you want help, feel free to contact me and I will try and help you achieve your target.

Tnks geometry is a kiler
Reply 14
Make a spreadsheet with all the topics (ask a teacher to provide a list) and highlight them/tick them if you are confident on them and leave the ones you are not. Practice one of the topics you are not good at as much as you can, then move to the next topic until you are confident with all the topics, after that past papers and questions will help you practice and identify more weak points you need to work on.

https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse/ - This is also a very useful website, it gives you five questions a day (you choose the level, foundation, higher or higher+) Do the higher ones at first then move to higher+. You don't have to do all five but definitely do some everyday and you will see improvement.

It is not too late, if you are dedicated you can achieve your target, or maybe even higher. Remember, one of the best things to do is practice, practice, practice. practice is key. But don't overwork yourself, balance is also important. Best of luck, we all believe in you, now all you have to do is believe in yourself!
USE THIS WEBSITE!
bland.in
To get 6 or above on 9-1 maths: 1) Buy a collins textbook, I have got the collins AQA GCSE maths 4th edition higher student book. I know this may a seem a bit crazy but I suggest you finish the textbook that's what I did and I am getting an 8 in all my recent mocks. 2) Do old specification past papers primarily edexcel and AQA, print off one paper and go on YouTube to learn how you can solve the question and then print off another one and do it own your own with any revision resources. Old specification papers helped me so much in year 8.. I was in set 3 but after doing 3-4 I moved to set 1. 3) Ask your teacher to print off the new specification papers and do them by yourself, if you need help just ask the teacher on how you can get through the question. also make him print off the topic list for each paper that's what our teacher is doing. 4) It's not that late we still got 3 months left and I am planning on doing the whole textbook again to refresh my maths skill and knowledge, I am going to be printing off all the past papers I can find and asking my teacher to print off the new ones (the ones we did). 5) PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE - PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT... answer all the questions you encounter, spend hours on a question until your head starts to ache. But most important learn the theory which can be find in the collins textbook - it has a clear page of the theory, examples and questions to make you fluent. Also the new maths has 2 or more topics in one question so make sure you cover the whole syllabus. That's it working hard can you help you achieve your goals. I want to study maths, further maths and physics at sixth form and go on to do maths and computer science degree. Remember I am not brilliant at maths, I used to get Cs and Ds in year 7 and 8 but I changed my attitude and started to get motivated to do well in maths. Then in end of year 8 I pushed myself by doing many past papers and I did well on the mocks that year and they moved me up to set 1 so remember practice makes perfect and always work hard.

Quick Reply