The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What language do bilinguals think in and can they think in their weaker language?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fat_pam
So you think in English and Kiswahili?

Yeah ok
Reply 61
Original post by fat_pam
What age did you learn English and Polish?

Can you think in Polish?

I was brought up on both languages (probably more Polish up to the age of 3)
Over time at school, speaking English every day at school and with my friends, having to write essays in it .etc. English became much stronger than Polish.
I can think in Polish but it's slower and more difficult, that's why I think in English.
Reply 62
Original post by cupcakes87
Yhh I can. I've spoken both since I could speak really

So how many languages can you think in altogether?
Reply 63
Original post by MilenaW
I was brought up on both languages (probably more Polish up to the age of 3)
Over time at school, speaking English every day at school and with my friends, having to write essays in it .etc. English became much stronger than Polish.
I can think in Polish but it's slower and more difficult, that's why I think in English.

Reply 64
Original post by fat_pam

2 but one is stronger than the other
Original post by fat_pam

3, Hindi being the third which I only really use when watching movies
Reply 66
Original post by MilenaW
2 but one is stronger than the other

So you can think in your weaker language, right? But you have to force it?
I don't think in any language. To me it is like asking what language do you paint in. Thoughts are not sound, they are different. For me the experience of thinking is neither like speaking or hearing spoken language.

If I was raised without any language, I would still be able to think.

The only time I think in a language is if I am thinking about what someone has said or what I have said or am about to say. In which case, it is the appropriate language for the situation I am thinking about.

Its just like how I can think about music or think about a painting but I wouldn't say I think in music or paintings in a general sense.
Reply 68
Original post by fat_pam
So you can think in your weaker language, right? But you have to force it?

Yeah I can force myself to think in Polish but it doesn't come naturally
Reply 69
Original post by MilenaW

Can you think in any other languages (apart from English and Polish)?
Reply 70
Original post by MilenaW

What do you mean it doesn't come naturally?
I think in my native language most of the time, but once I use English a little bit more than usual, I sometimes start unconsciously think in English. Though, I must say I prefer thinking in my native language haha.

EDIT: sometimes you can dream in another language... that's also quite interesting
Reply 72
Original post by Sternumator
I don't think in any language. To me it is like asking what language do you paint in. Thoughts are not sound, they are different. For me the experience of thinking is neither like speaking or hearing spoken language.

If I was raised without any language, I would still be able to think.

The only time I think in a language is if I am thinking about what someone has said or what I have said or am about to say. In which case, it is the appropriate language for the situation I am thinking about.

Its just like how I can think about music or think about a painting but I wouldn't say I think in music or paintings in a general sense.

Actually, it is debatable (amongst academics) that you would still be able to think (very much) if you were raised without any language.
Reply 73
Original post by CharlieeS
I think in my native language most of the time, but once I use English a little bit more than usual, I sometimes start unconsciously think in English. Though, I must say I prefer thinking in my native language haha.

EDIT: sometimes you can dream in another language... that's also quite interesting

What is your native language?
I suppose by now English is my main language and German my mother tongue. I think mostly in English, but I have no problem thinking in German.

Depends on topic I guess.

ps btw, I would urge everyone to make sure their kid grows up bilingual. So marry someone with a different mother tongue :P
Reply 75
Original post by yudothis
I suppose by now English is my main language and German my mother tongue. I think mostly in English, but I have no problem thinking in German.

Depends on topic I guess.

ps btw, I would urge everyone to make sure their kid grows up bilingual. So marry someone with a different mother tongue :P

Did you learn both languages at a relatively young age? Does that mean you think in English and German?
Reply 76
Bump
Original post by fat_pam
Did you learn both languages at a relatively young age? Does that mean you think in English and German?

I started learning English when I was 9, so I suppose it was still young.

Yes.
Original post by fat_pam
So you prefer to think in English?

I do both. The only time I prefer English is when I'm studying.
I'm bilingual but speak a little of a third language too. I think in English nearly 100% of the time but sometimes I can think in arabic (e.g. if im speaking to someone in arabic) and spanish as well :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending