The Student Room Group

Discussion time: Do people choose to be gay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anfanny
Why would someone do that?

wut u tryin to say fam
Original post by AperfectBalance
I think it is 90% choice 10%other factors. your enviroment heavily shapes you and that is the main reason.

How can it be 90% choice if environment is the 'main reason', but you don't choose your enviornment? :rolleyes:
Original post by RedManc
If you go to Brighton or something it is 60% not straight

lmao no, that would be insanely disproportionate compared to the overall population.
Reply 83
Original post by Retired_Messiah
lmao no, that would be insanely disproportionate compared to the overall population.

It is
Original post by Cherub012
How can you?

You put in your lawbooks, "It is illegal to be attracted to people of your own gender," and then you prosecute those who are thought to be. There are countries in the world where this is done.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You put in your lawbooks, "It is illegal to be attracted to people of your own gender," and then you prosecute those who are thought to be. There are countries in the world where this is done.

Examples?
No idea. I find it pretty gross but yeah do whatever you want, I find people who smoke gross as well so am I smokophobic?
Original post by RedManc
It is

I googled "Brighton 60% gay" and all I got was a tripadvisor review of a bloke complaining that a gay bar ended up with about 60% straight people in it. This has quite obviously been pulled right out your ass.
Reply 88
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I googled "Brighton 60% gay" and all I got was a tripadvisor review of a bloke complaining that a gay bar ended up with about 60% straight people in it. This has quite obviously been pulled right out your ass.

I don't put things up their
I dont think being gay is based on your upbringing and influences? Surely if that is the case then the gay person and all their siblings would be gay, however, this is not the case. Most gay people do not want to be gay and so no they do not choose to be gay just as we did not choose to be heterosexual or bisexual it just how we feel and we cannot change these thoughts.
Yeah, I did. I literally woke up one morning and decided " you know what? life is too easy, I'm gonna make life a whole lot more difficult and do it with men instead of women." Life has never been the same.
Reply 91
yeah
Original post by RedManc
x

I'm not trying to patronize you but I think a lot of your ignorance is because you haven't been exposed to that many (open) gay people. Gays and lesbians come in all shapes and sizes, all from different backgrounds, just like any other person. Some gay men are masculine, some lesbians are feminine - so not everyone is who is gay wants to be the opposite gender to the one they already are. Even someone like Louie Spence is content with having a penis and he's very feminine!
I'm a gay guy and I don't want to be a girl; I am quite happy being the gender I am!

So sexual orientation is not really the same as gender expression or even identity, though I do think it's fair to say they are somewhat correlated.

And no homosexuality is not a choice.
Reply 93
Original post by Loopy91
I'm not trying to patronize you but I think a lot of your ignorance is because you haven't been exposed to that many (open) gay people. Gays and lesbians come in all shapes and sizes, all from different backgrounds, just like any other person. Some gay men are masculine, some lesbians are feminine - so not everyone is who is gay wants to be the opposite gender to the one they already are. Even someone like Louie Spence is content with having a penis and he's very feminine!
I'm a gay guy and I don't want to be a girl; I am quite happy being the gender I am!

So sexual orientation is not really the same as gender expression or even identity, though I do think it's fair to say they are somewhat correlated.

And no homosexuality is not a choice.

That's true there is hardly any gays where I live (High Green).
Original post by RedManc
That's true there is hardly any gays where I live (High Green).

It's not that there aren't any, they're too scared to come out.
No. People are born gay. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant and deluded.
Reply 96
Original post by Loopy91
It's not that there aren't any, they're too scared to come out.

Its a rough area. Everyone seems straight. I guess if you weren't straight some people might bully you. That's not right, but it happens.
Original post by RedManc
Its a rough area. Everyone seems straight. I guess if you weren't straight some people might bully you. That's not right, but it happens.

Just because it's a rough area doesn't mean there aren't any gay people. Someone might seem straight but as I said not everyone that is gay conforms to the stereotype of being camp or butch. The fact that it is a rough area means they're too scared to come out
Reply 98
Original post by Loopy91
Just because it's a rough area doesn't mean there aren't any gay people. Someone might seem straight but as I said not everyone that is gay conforms to the stereotype of being camp or butch. The fact that it is a rough area means they're too scared to come out

My point exactly, there might be more gays, but we don't know because they haven't came out.
I think it is heavily influenced by environment but that doesn't mean it is a choice.

I think of it a bit like people who have racial preferences (or any other preference for that matter). Nobody is born liking black men. You have absolutely no concept of race or sexual attraction when you are born so you must pick up that preference from you're environment but that doesn't mean you actively decided on it. You just like who you like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending