The Student Room Group

honest opinions on people who dine alone?

What do you genuinely think when you are in a restaurant and see someone sitting alone at a table and eating? what if it was a fat person and he/she ordered a lot of food for themselves. Is that sad/pathetic? do you feel sorry for them or is it no big deal?

yeah I am going to be eating alone this weekend :frown: getting damn tired of waiting for someone to go with me. this will be my first time so any tips? should i get a table at the back where no one can see me?
I don't think there's anything wrong at all with eating alone. If you think you'd feel uncomfortable sitting in the middle of everyone else or by the window, then book a place at the back if need be. Honestly, there's a lot of pressure for people who dine alone but chances are, no one will notice. It's a fairly common thing, but it's still somewhat daunting.
To put it simply, not many people are going to judge if you eat alone. And if they do end up 'openly' judging you, then that's quite pathetic in itself and you shouldn't be taking it to heart. Some people just enjoy making others uncomfortable, I'm afraid :frown:
I hope I helped! Enjoy yourself :smile:
Reply 2
I've seen old people dine alone and I've never seen them as pathetic, it does make me feel sad for them but I would dine alone, I've never done it but I'm sure I'd enjoy it, I much prefer having a Starbucks/Costa alone. Just don't sit there on your phone cus you'll look like a loser maybe take your laptop/a book/a newspaper.. just something to make you look busy and maybe important.
I usually assume people are on a work trip when they're eating alone, cos it's being paid for.
Keep looking at your watch and tutting. Maybe add a bit of "where the **** is he?". More tutting.
no big deal
I think i'll be that kind of person in the future:u:
Original post by Sabertooth
Keep looking at your watch and tutting. Maybe add a bit of "where the **** is he?". More tutting.

But that would make me feel even worse, seeing someone who's presumably been stood up!! You could open a real can of worms there if someone came up and started asking who/what/where/when/why or even threatening to call the guy. :0
Its normal. I've done it.

It gets weirder the later in the day it gets, the posher the restaurant and how dressed up you are.

Someone in maccies, in their work clothes at lunch is 0% sad. If you're at a posh restaurant at 8 O'clock in heels and red lip stick may be it is weird.

If you are there because you want to eat the food and don't give a ****, its fine but if you are obviously on a "date" but on your own, it is a bit sad.

But who cares? I doubt anyone will even notice. Do what you want.
Original post by jeanprouvaire
But that would make me feel even worse, seeing someone who's presumably been stood up!! You could open a real can of worms there if someone came up and started asking who/what/where/when/why or even threatening to call the guy. :0

Oh that's true. I hadn't even thought of that. Good observation!
Reply 9
I sympathise and think he has *****y friends.
thanks for all the answers, they really helped and made me feel better
k i'm going to own it and eat alone like a boss who doesn't give a ****!
Awesome people. :u:
Reply 12
Original post by Sternumator
If you're at a posh restaurant at 8 O'clock in heels and red lip stick may be it is weird.

Particularly if you are a bloke.
I don't think it's weird. I think most people would assume you have a reason for being alone e.g. travelling, work etc. If it was a very overweight person and they ordered an abnormal amount of food I wouldn't judge them but I'd feel sorry for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending