The Student Room Group
Reply 1
depends how offensive and how badly they react to it tbh. People in western societies commonly make racist jokes which others may find very offensive
Original post by Roger11
depends how offensive and how badly they react to it tbh. People in western societies commonly make racist jokes which others may find very offensive

If a Chinese person calls an Indian person "curry muncher" or something (idk any racial slurs to indians) but would that be called racist? I thought racist was only one race to another. Do you get what I mean?
Reply 3
Original post by emerald7770
If a Chinese person calls an Indian person "curry muncher" or something (idk any racial slurs to indians) but would that be called racist? I thought racist was only one race to another. Do you get what I mean?

Yes an No.
Personally, I think if it's a person making a racist joke to a friend then they're not directly being racist at someone.

If it's someone saying it to a stranger or someone not as close then it'll be rude and possibly racist, will depend how lightly the person takes it.

Though if someone directs it at someone in an obvious rude way then yes it's racist. Eg. you go call a muslim a terrorist for no reason, to annoy them or because they've offended you.

It goes down to the context it's said in and who it's said to.

Chinese and Indian are still very different but I get what you're trying to say and it's the same as above, you may be the same race but doesn't mean it won't or will be racist.
Reply 4
Original post by emerald7770
If two people in the same race but different ethnicity, insult the other persons ethinicty, is it called racist?

Wayyy too little detail it really does depend on what is being said, technically if someone says something racist even if they are from that race it is still racist and will offend people. With ethnicity maybe because for example if you have an Indian insult a Pakistani they may be of the same race (i think) but they are totally different ethnicity and yes I am sure the Pakistani will be offended.(My ethnicity is Indian but I'm British btw.)
Original post by Roger11
Yes an No.
Personally, I think if it's a person making a racist joke to a friend then they're not directly being racist at someone.

If it's someone saying it to a stranger or someone not as close then it'll be rude and possibly racist, will depend how lightly the person takes it.

Though if someone directs it at someone in an obvious rude way then yes it's racist. Eg. you go call a muslim a terrorist for no reason, to annoy them or because they've offended you.

It goes down to the context it's said in and who it's said to.

Chinese and Indian are still very different but I get what you're trying to say and it's the same as above, you may be the same race but doesn't mean it won't or will be racist.

But then again I dont rlly think Chinese and Indian people come under the same race though

Latest

Trending

Trending