The Student Room Group

Maths S2 - Best resources for learning the syllabus?

I'm on the Edexcel examining board, what resources are out there for learning the content for the S2 Maths module? I find the Edexcel Endorsed textbook takes so long to get through!!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone?
Original post by Philip-flop
I'm on the Edexcel examining board, what resources are out there for learning the content for the S2 Maths module? I find the Edexcel Endorsed textbook takes so long to get through!!

well theres examsolutions I suppose but imo the Edexcel textbook is very good.

Also the shorter (for lack of a better word) you want the teaching resource to be the less youll actually cover so whilst another textbook or resource may be quicker to go through it will probably leave you with lots of gaps in knowledge. Id stick with the edexcel textbook if I was you.
Original post by DylanJ42
well theres examsolutions I suppose but imo the Edexcel textbook is very good.

Also the shorter (for lack of a better word) you want the teaching resource to be the less youll actually cover so whilst another textbook or resource may be quicker to go through it will probably leave you with lots of gaps in knowledge. Id stick with the edexcel textbook if I was you.

Thank you! My only problem is, I seem to find that the Edexcel textbooks don't explain things well enough for me (they don't "dumb" the subject down enough for me :frown: ). What do I do in cases that I don't understand?

Examsolutions and the Edexcel textbook should be enough. I didn't really use the textbook other than in class and preferred the examsolutions explanations much more.
Thank you! My only problem is, I seem to find that the Edexcel textbooks don't explain things well enough for me (they don't "dumb" the subject down enough for me :frown: ). What do I do in cases that I don't understand?

hmm maybe accompany the textbook resources with exam solutions videos, im not too sure

the S2 solution bank (http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/s2-solutionbank/) might help you also, it works through all the questions so you can see the method as well as the answer
Original post by NotNotBatman
Examsolutions and the Edexcel textbook should be enough. I didn't really use the textbook other than in class and preferred the examsolutions explanations much more.

Thank you!! Yeah I find ExamSolutions explains things so much easier than the actual textbook does!! I actually can't stand the textbook!! :frown:

hmm maybe accompany the textbook resources with exam solutions videos, im not too sure

the S2 solution bank (http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/s2-solutionbank/) might help you also, it works through all the questions so you can see the method as well as the answer

Since I'm kinda short for time, I'm thinking of just going through the Examples of each chapter of the textbook accompanied by videos from ExamSolutions. Then if I have the time I can work through the rest of the questions from the textbook and then move on to past paper questions.

Since I'm kinda short for time, I'm thinking of just going through the Examples of each chapter of the textbook accompanied by videos from ExamSolutions. Then if I have the time I can work through the rest of the questions from the textbook and then move on to past paper questions.

sounds good, I dont do much questions from the textbook either, maybe 40% of them just to ensure I can actually do the topic. I try to get done pretty quick so I can do past papers for as long as possible
sounds good, I dont do much questions from the textbook either, maybe 40% of them just to ensure I can actually do the topic. I try to get done pretty quick so I can do past papers for as long as possible

Yeah my aim is to learn the syllabus quickly but effectively so I can jump onto past papers and solidify what I've learnt. Hoping to learn all the content for the S2 module by mid March!
Yeah my aim is to learn the syllabus quickly but effectively so I can jump onto past papers and solidify what I've learnt. Hoping to learn all the content for the S2 module by mid March!

This is my plan too mate. i was picking either D1 or S2... however S2 is a big pain in the ass right now because the exam questions are tough. I mean i understand that id have to go through various questions first to be able to understand it more clearly however its proving to be a ball ache at the moment :u: How you finding it so far?
Original post by Ameenk95
This is my plan too mate. i was picking either D1 or S2... however S2 is a big pain in the ass right now because the exam questions are tough. I mean i understand that id have to go through various questions first to be able to understand it more clearly however its proving to be a ball ache at the moment :u: How you finding it so far?

I'm not gonna lie, I've been struggling with S2! It took me like two and a half hours to get through all the questions on a past paper that I did last week! I'm finding Maths at A2 in general is very difficult to remember everything as there is a lot of content and formulas you need to know off by heart!

Oh I see, so have you been learning D1 as well as S2 as a sort of back up? Have you decided which one you are going to do?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not gonna lie, I've been struggling with S2! It took me like two and a half hours to get through all the questions on a past paper that I did last week! I'm finding Maths at A2 in general is very difficult to remember everything as there is a lot of content and formulas you need to know off by heart!

Oh I see, so have you been learning D1 as well as S2 as a sort of back up? Have you decided which one you are going to do?

Are you doing AQA or Edexcel? Honestly, its a right pain isnt it. It is harder but i didnt expect it to be this hard. Im self teaching myself too.

I have basically next week to decide which module i wanna do. I did D1 last year and booked my exam two weeks before the exam date, hasty decision which is why i only got an E. But it legit took me a week to learn and it was sooo easy, just didnt have the exam practice. The methods for S2 are fine but the exam questions are so varied :frown: puts me off doing the module

Are you self teaching yourself too? Also im sure youll get faster at getting all the questions done
Are you doing AQA or Edexcel? Honestly, its a right pain isnt it. It is harder but i didnt expect it to be this hard. Im self teaching myself too.

I have basically next week to decide which module i wanna do. I did D1 last year and booked my exam two weeks before the exam date, hasty decision which is why i only got an E. But it legit took me a week to learn and it was sooo easy, just didnt have the exam practice. The methods for S2 are fine but the exam questions are so varied :frown: puts me off doing the module

Are you self teaching yourself too? Also im sure youll get faster at getting all the questions done

Awesome, it's always good to come across others who are self-teaching the subject like myself!

I'm on the Edexcel spec for Maths. Doing C3, C4 and S2 this year. What about you?

Oh wow, you learnt D1 in a week? That's so good! I might try learning that module as well and if I still find myself struggling with S2 I will try to change the module I'm sitting.
Awesome, it's always good to come across others who are self-teaching the subject like myself!

I'm on the Edexcel spec for Maths. Doing C3, C4 and S2 this year. What about you?

Oh wow, you learnt D1 in a week? That's so good! I might try learning that module as well and if I still find myself struggling with S2 I will try to change the module I'm sitting.

Wow i didnt know you could change modules otherwise id have entered myself for my exam a lot earlier! Have to oay double the fees but it shouldnt be a big issue. Main aim is to get these bloody exams done with a good grade!

Yeah honestly i learnt D1 so fast, its unbelievably easy, but i didnt do much exam practice which was my only downfall :/
Wow i didnt know you could change modules otherwise id have entered myself for my exam a lot earlier! Have to oay double the fees but it shouldnt be a big issue. Main aim is to get these bloody exams done with a good grade!

Yeah honestly i learnt D1 so fast, its unbelievably easy, but i didnt do much exam practice which was my only downfall :/

Obviously it's not as easy as "changing modules" I would incur a cancellation fee as well as a late fee! :frown:
Obviously it's not as easy as "changing modules" I would incur a cancellation fee as well as a late fee! :frown:

I know the struggle, i called up my exam board to find out that its more or less the same for me! How many hours a day are you revising for S2 and how long have you been revising for? Maybe we can help one another out in the near future too as we are in the same boat :biggrin:
@Ameenk95 How are you finding the S2 module now?
@Ameenk95 How are you finding the S2 module now?

I was on holiday for a week so ive not been revising much, only got back yesterday and im revising today.. feels like ive forgotten everything and feelsd harder, hahaha wbu?
I was on holiday for a week so ive not been revising much, only got back yesterday and im revising today.. feels like ive forgotten everything and feelsd harder, hahaha wbu?

Nice, where abouts on holiday did you go?

I've managed to cover the syllabus for S2 but am still struggling with past papers so I have to keep referring back to the textbook and pretty much re-learn things that I didn't understand the first time round! :frown:
Nice, where abouts on holiday did you go?

I've managed to cover the syllabus for S2 but am still struggling with past papers so I have to keep referring back to the textbook and pretty much re-learn things that I didn't understand the first time round! :frown:

I went to morocco, it was really good, well deserved holiday! :biggrin:

And ah i see the struggle, honestly im the same! The exam content is tough because they phrase and take the direction of the questions differently each time... makes me want to do D1 if im honest.. Have you tried exam solutions?

Quick Reply

Latest