The Student Room Group

Cambridge Uni Students Burn Money in Front of Homeless Person

http://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2017/02/09/exclusive-cambridge-student-white-tie-burns-cash-front-homeless-person-88773

Oh dear! I doubt even the Trumpettes of TSR will challenge the view that this is appalling.

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like something that glassapple fella does for fun
Reply 2
Original post by Casisalive
Sounds like something that glassapple fella does for fun

You're probably right...
Wonder what action (if any) the uni will take? The DM are loving it.
Reply 4
Cambridge University Conservative Association student. Singular.

More here
http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/0036719-cuca-confirms-pembroke-undergraduate-as-student-accused-in-burning-cash-scandal.html

EDIT TO ADD: If you would like to support the local homeless charity, Jimmy's, in Cambridge instead of criticising the student go to:
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/charity-web/charity/finalCharityHomepage.action?uniqueVmgCharityUrl=JimmysCambridge
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Mathemagicien
I reckon he'll get beaten up, socially ostracised, and end up asking for a transfer. Justice.

To Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, they released his name.

And unconfirmed reports he might be related to Nicola Sturgeon. (Seems legit, if you look up Facebook, his father lives in Edinborough, and all Scots are inbred).

I reckon he'll get beaten up, socially ostracised, and end up asking for a transfer. Justice.

:erm:

And unconfirmed reports he might be related to Nicola Sturgeon.

Confirmed reports are that he's her sister-in-law's ex-husband's nephew; that is, the child of the brother of the man who was once married to the sister of her husband.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Confirmed reports are that he's her sister-in-law's ex-husband's nephew; that is, the child of the brother of the man who was once married to the sister of her husband.

So the same relation as the Countess of Spencer is to Viscount Severn and (apart from their gender), Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie and Lady Louise Windsor
RIP him.
And unconfirmed reports he might be related to Nicola Sturgeon.

So what? She is not responsible for what he does. It's the Tory party - he was in charge of communications at the Cambridge University Conservative Association - that should be taking some flak. They accepted someone with his attitudes.
Original post by 999tigger
Wonder what action (if any) the uni will take? The DM are loving it.

What action can they take? It wasn't a crime and he presumably wasn't doing this on university property.

I'm not justifying what he did as right mind you (it was a pretty despicable thing to do), but without the university vastly overreaching in terms of its authority I don't see how any of it is their business.
Original post by limetang
What action can they take? It wasn't a crime and he presumably wasn't doing this on university property.

I'm not justifying what he did as right mind you (it was a pretty despicable thing to do), but without the university vastly overreaching in terms of its authority I don't see how any of it is their business.

University has its own bye laws. I would be thinking of bringing the Unis name into disrepute could be applicable. Will wait and see.

Whether or not he broke the law, and whether it was on Cambridge property, is irrelevant. Cambridge, and the CUCA, are institutions and have standards to uphold.

If someone did that while employed somewhere and their name broke out, chances are their employer would fire them. Cambridge is no different.

Anyway, there's probably something in the 'code of conduct' (o.e.) that they signed that can be used against them to do with neighbourly disorder.

They can expel him.

Any university could do that. But you may be unaware that Cambridge University exercises a lot of power over its students within three miles of the tower of Great St Mary's church in Cambridge. For example, students are not allowed to drive cars in that area, unless they hold a licence from the University as well as an ordinary driving licence.

There is currently a petition calling on the University to kick him out.

His college, Pembroke College, could also kick him out, which would mean he was no longer a member of the university since it is the colleges that admit undergraduates.

(A side note, which isn't really the point: most of central Cambridge is owned by the colleges.)
(edited 7 years ago)
As far as I am aware, no British "quality" newspaper has yet covered this story. Why not? It has only been the tabloids and the local Cambridge press.
Cambridge getting their own Bullingdon club?

Nothing to do with CUCA. This is a nasty smear. Sad!
Original post by TimmonaPortella

It's not a smear. He was at the time of the action the CUCA's Communications and Publicity officer. In other words, he was an officer, a leading member, already in his first year. He is patently obviously a raving Tory.
Reply 19
Original post by TimmonaPortella

He was Communications and Publicity Officer for CUCA. This is probably not the kind of communication or publicity they would want though.

Quick Reply

Latest